Coronavirus Outbreak: Is it safe to travel?

Voice of logic.

Where I am at it is also 6’. However, our church, which opened back up over a month ago, went to 3’ this past Sunday and everybody back in one service. We still have not returned in person and are choosing to watch via livestream. Nobody is wearing a mask that I can see in the livestream. A week from Sunday they are resuming all activities including Sunday school classes and evening services. Tonight they are resuming in person prayer meeting and youth group.

Your class will be closer to 3 or 6 ft?

My 78 year old sister in law lives in a small old town in Florida. She’s widowed. She and a handful of friends have been going to church all along. Masked, gloved, and social distancing. They each isolate at home for the most part. They miss hugs.

I suggested it was probably very safe to hug each other, masked and sheltering. (Turn yer head and don’t cough)

I doubt she and her friends are hugging yet. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

This was at church-3 feet. In our classrooms at school, I don’t think even 3 feet is realistic in many of them.

ETA: Many of our classrooms have tables where kids sit 4 to a table. With no reduction in class sizes-and we typically have 24-30 per class-there is no way to be socially distant.

2 Likes

Here it’s still 6ft… at DH’s work. For church (outdoors) and stores.

1 Like

Ok- our district in central Ohio just released their plans for next year. We will be back in school full time. Students and staff are required to wear masks. Classroom occupancy maximums are still TBD. They are ordering desks and plexiglass for all classrooms. We will have recess and lunch in the normal locations but it will look different- some playground equipment will be off limits for one. There will be an option for online schooling for vulnerable students but it will be a semester long commitment.

Oh my goodness. It’s crazy that you just posted this. We just got an email today about how our first church service since the start of this going to go this Sunday evening. It’s going to be outdoors, and at 6 PM. We had videos showing us how to park. Where to walk. Or just set up chairs. Where people could watch from their cars. We also had strong directions and not to hug people, and not even to ask others if they are comfortable with hugging because it could make non-huggers feel uncomfortable. And I do not go to a liberal or progressively-minded church.

I will go this Sunday night because they are going to give a charge to the graduating seniors. My son is one of them. I will probably not go back, however. If my kids just had a play date with their friends on Friday night, but now they’re not allowed to stand next to them on Sunday night, it’s more trouble than it’s worth.

2 Likes

This is making me nervous

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2020-06-01/6-feet-of-social-distancing-best-but-even-3-feet-should-help-study

Is “might also protect you to some degree” the standard we should live by?

4 Likes

Unless people are good friends, 6 feet seems a normal distance to stand away from one another and talk. Doesn’t it? Like we have had contractors in our house all week. I’m not gonna stand closer than six feet. I certainly wouldn’t stand closer than 3 feet with most people.

Now - At work, we will give report to one another immediately side-by-side. But my friends and I don’t squeeze together to have conversations.

2 Likes

Sounds similar to our district here in southwest Ohio. Masks required anytime students can’t be 6’ apart but spacing desks 3’ apart. Um…I mean I’m not all about that common core but to my math that pretty much means masks all the time right? :rofl:

Trading off lunch in classroom and cafeteria on different days. No playgrounds at recess just outdoor play. Buses can sit 2 to a seat but have to be masked.

The saddest part is no specials, (or maybe modified specials). But they can’t have multiples classes of kids rotate through, let’s say, the art room and share materials all day long.

If we need to go more hybrid it’s the older kids, 9-12 grade, who will be doing more virtual learning as they are more capable of staying home alone if both parents have to work. Main goal is to keep k-6 in the classroom full time.

2 Likes

I will say what I has been said to me. Information on this virus changes rapidly. No one is an expert. If you aren’t comfortable with 3 feet, then use 6 feet.

And this is why, though, most of the spread has happened in such scenarios…around those who are close. It really is an odd standard we seem to accept. Somehow, if we are close to someone (relationally speaking), the person we are PHYSICALLY standing close to is somehow less likely to have COVID-19. Yet, statistically speaking, the opposite really is true.

1 Like

No specials? The art teacher can’t bring her art supplies to the classroom on a cart? Move the teachers, rather than the kids.

Yes, that’s what I think is going to happen with the “Modified” version of specials. So they will still get it. Just not sure about P.E inside the room, lol.

I think PE might have to focus on health and wellness when classes can’t go out. Art classes can use “individual tool packs” (no shared art supplies). Music will be a challenge. Also, any maker space or engineering classes (any class with shared tools).

3 Likes

I have to say, if students are sitting all day in the same seats, three feet apart, I don’t know if that is safe. Maybe they should be moving to classes?

3 Likes

I am not thinking of myself. Will you be comfortable as a parent? How can I help other parents feel comfortable?

2 Likes

I spent so much time reading about covid, particular transmission studies. And after all those hours, all the knowledge I have is just:

• Outdoors is much better than indoors
  • Air circulation matters
  • What you are doing matters (screaming, singing, talking loudly)
  • Masks help
  • Physical distance helps

What is the impact of each factor? How do they interact with each other (what if a person wearing a mask sings in a closed room???)? It seems that research is still incomplete and there are too many unknowns.

I know that school just got back here in Bavaria, and tracing is pretty meticulous. Some data of spread in school settings should become available soon.

6 Likes

This was my thought. I actually hate the idea of the kids staying in the same room ALL day. They need movement, change of scenery etc. I also do feel the difference in how the room is decorated and what is posted on the walls truly helps a kid get their mind ready for that subject. I would hate to see and ELA class with PEMPDAS posters hanging over the walls and vise versa.

1 Like