Coronavirus Outbreak: Is it safe to travel?

Brilliantly put together. TFS.

1 Like

The hospitalisation rates are in the pic above - we only test people who are in hospital so they are one and the same as infection rates. Though they announced today that essential workers and their families can get tests if needed.

Itā€™s not. Wholly agree.

Weā€™ve now had six weeks of basement-worship. It has not been lost on me there are people all over the world who have to worship in their basements, or attics, or barns. And not just today. Historically.
It puts our losses into perspective. As much as we are missing out on assembling, we really still have so much.

9 Likes

When I jumped on board being a youth leader a few years ago I had no idea I would have to be so techy! Our youth pastor wasted no time in coming up with ideas.

While we have lost some involvement with some kids, weā€™ve seen a core group really get engaged. Iā€™m meeting up with my 6th and 7th grade girls MORE than usual. My own 8th grade daughter is loving it. Her group stays connected after the meetings to keep visiting.

My own 18yo son stopped going to YG this year because there are 6 million 7th graders and just four senior guys. Now just the senior boys are having meetings with the youth pastor and DS 18 schedules his day around it.

Youth Pastorā€™s also getting Zoom groups of recent graduates and Missions Trip Alum hooked together. Itā€™s actually creating more and new communities.

7 Likes

Yes. Iā€™m not really sure what we can extrapolate from that.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/WGRZ/status/1253351448978620418?s=20

Wonder what it is in NYC? Did he say?
If they reach herd immunity levels there, I would say it was not worth it considering what they went through to get there.

2 Likes

She does which is great so at least sheā€™s being responsible to others.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s true. Just wish everyone had been.

21% in NYC

2 Likes

So - I have a new problem.
I donā€™t have a TV. Well - I do. Itā€™s in the basement and we have an antenna we use during football playoffs to watch a few games. Otherwise, I donā€™t get TV.

Iā€™ve been watching FoxNews on the iPad or the computer. I didnā€™t know that wasnā€™t always available. Turns out it was complimentary for a while. It is over today.

Does anyone know how I can watch TV news? I do have an internet provider who is a cable provider, though I donā€™t have cable.

Any suggestions?

I think the point is that the narrative that stay at home orders have had this huge, horrible, unwarranted effect on a stateā€™s economy that wouldnā€™t have happened if the order hadnā€™t been implemented isnā€™t true. Time will tell what effect the orders had, but itā€™s not like states that had orders are suffering horribly while states without are humming along. Itā€™s a lot more nuanced than that. Iā€™m sure everyone here understands that, but reading around, Iā€™m not sure some of the protestors do.

2 Likes

Do you not think the economy was hurt, or you donā€™t think some states have been hurt as much as they claim?

I have friends out of work who are freaking out.

2 Likes

Thanks. Do you happen to know what antibody test they used? I have a feeling this is not a very reliable estimate. Lots of epidemiologist/virologists questioning it on the twit.

About all you can do is watch some taped segments. Livestreaming is very limited, but does occasionally happen for some significant events.

Iā€™m not sure I understand? Iā€™m just questioning the narrative that the stay at home orders are the source of the economic woes, rather than the virus itself. Iā€™m more likely to blame the virus (and the fear/uncertainty itā€™s creating) that is keeping the economy stalled, rather than the governmental restraints that have been implemented. Itā€™s probably both, but the discussion is how much each is influencing the economic situation we find ourselves in.

Recent polling has suggested a majority of Americans think stay at home orders are necessary and shouldnā€™t be lifted too soon. That suggests that even if everything were to open tomorrow, people might not necessarily change what theyā€™re doing, orders or no.

3 Likes

Since statesā€™ economies are so intertwined, I think it may be very difficult to discern what effects the shut-down orders did or didnā€™t have. There might be a handful of states without them, but theyā€™re going to be heavily impacted because other states did, no matter what they do.

Iā€™m guessing there will be some more intricate analyses to try to figure that out, but it wonā€™t be easy. The one thing we canā€™t do is rerun the experiment, unfortunately.
Edit: I. take that back. We might re-run the experiment in the fall. Thatā€™s an interesting thought.

The best I think we can do is to see what the case rates do in these unencumbered states, and if theyā€™re not so bad, take that as a lesson for next time.

1 Like

It was a finger prick test done at supermarkets. There was an uproar about the roll out in my area. I think it was a three bar indicator. Picture in Link

Link to 20%

1 Like

Why was there an uproar?
I think the question is, the reliability of the test. But Iā€™m not so worried about that as some might be, as long as itā€™s only for surveillance and not diagnostics. Even gaining a little insight into the spread of the virus is better than none.

1 Like

Thatā€™s definitely true. And not just states, but the rest of the world too. Iā€™m sure some researchers will take a crack at it someday and it will be interesting to see what they find.

Iā€™m glad it seems a lot of states are over the hump and are ready to move into the next phase. Weā€™re not there yet on my state unfortunately- we just had our biggest one day jump yesterday. It got into a meat packing plant upstate. Should be interesting to see how they handle this as this is the perfect example of what is going to happen once we reopen- this just happened to be an essential business, so it was already open. They are doing the whole test, trace, isolate, etc, while still keeping the factory open.

2 Likes

Ugh. They tried that in one of the Dakotas and it didnā€™t work out so well, they ended up shutting down anyway. It didnā€™t spread from the plant, though.

It may be that the best bet is to find the workers whoā€™ve had it and ask them go back to work. Thatā€™s where these antibody tests could be really useful.

Town and county officials were not notified. Announcement was put out on social media I believe. Stores quickly had around 150 people in line and not following social distancing. It was disconcerting to shoppers. The local officials were upset that it was not done orderly and without thought for residents safety.

2 Likes