Coronavirus Outbreak: Is it safe to travel?

A lot of their recipes use milk.

Not as much now. We used to go through 3-4 gallons a week. But now, it is more like 1-2 gallons a week.

We have 5 gallons in the freezer at the moment, though, since we were told to stock up for a few weeks in case of quarantine.

We have a limit of 60 items on a curbside pickup order, in addition to limits on buying other items. But the 60 item limit keeps me from buying more than a week’s worth of food at a time. For a while they’d removed bagged apples so I was buying them individually, against my count. Right now I have to schedule those pickups 2 weeks out. This means I can’t make it without going into a store at some other point in the week. But that trip can usually be a smaller trip.

I was able to go to Costco last week as my “step into a store” trip for the week and Can make it a month to six weeks without returning there. That helps.

But the blanket limits per trip are really frustrating.

1 Like

Not cow milk. I never even liked it as a kid. Now that I am on my own I rotate between soy, coconut, almond, and oat (and at coffee shops will use whichever non cow variety they have). Cow milk to drink has always grossed me out. As cheese or ice cream I am fine - but just drinking it? Yuck.

1 Like

My two kids go through milk pretty quick. Milk or water is there “typical” drink choice and they really like milk. Before this I stocked up on organic half gallons since the dates went into May. And now with grocery order I get more milk, but I have a good stock so we don’t run out. My kids are 3 and 6.

We drink skim and Walmart doesn’t have any. Got two 1% gallons.
No toilet paper.
No hand sanitizer.
One soap refill.
One six pack of Kleenex (off brand).
No limit on eggs so for 4 dozen!

Sigh
I’ll have to try again tomorrow or Friday?

2 Likes

So, we live in an area that has a lot of dairy farms. The grocery stores and such are limiting milk, but our local convenience store is not. So my DH will get 2-3 gallons of milk, which will last us 4-6 days, depending on whether we cook with it or not. He has been getting milk from there since all this started after he gets off work in the AM and he has never had a problem getting milk. Of course that convenience store does a lot of our local milk, so I think they get shipments daily. Not sure what your convenience stores are doing, but maybe see if they are doing limits.

4 Likes

4 dozen eggs

Frittattas. Easy to make in a baking dish. Good to eat cold even.

That could be a couple lunches a week.

I like buying a turkey when I can - lots of meat for just one item. I have 3 chest freezers tho . . .

This is smart. Thank you. Is it significantly more expensive?

I love our chest freezer. And can you believe we had a turkey dinner in January, a turkey dinner in February, a ham dinner in February, and a ham dinner the beginning of March. I did all of that just for fun because I had so much food!

I just cooked one dozen eggs for four of us to have scrambled eggs for breakfast.

The other day I made two 9 x 13 pans of macaroni and cheese. That used five blocks of cheese, and 6 cups of milk. That was for my family to have dinner, and lunch the following day, and provide food for a friend of the family who Is a new widower.

I make a monthly meal menu calendar for all of our dinners. I normally go to Wegmans once a month, ALDI once a month for main stock up and a second time for lunch food stick up. We do Walmart once a month for main items. We then pick up the perishables at Walmart as needed.

We are actually shopping more now.

1 Like

I did the unthinkable today and splurged and Bought a gallon of chocolate milk. It will make my kids’ day.

I probably won’t try to cook with it. :joy:

6 Likes

You can use it in your pancakes/waffles. Throw in some chocolate chips. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

In this case, I would talk to store management about the limits.

I’m not seeing hardly anything limited food-wise in my area. Toilet paper has a restriction. And large rice bags and large vinegars at Costco. But nothing on milk or meat or eggs.

The milk-dumping is sad, but it’s not about actual milk. It’s the reduced demand for bulk cheese and butter because restaurants are closed. You can’t switch a cheese plant into a bottling plant quickly or easily (and then would have to switch it back eventually).

2 Likes

Aw man. Pancakes day is Monday here. It’ll never last til next week. :wink:

1 Like

This is good to know. Thank you.

1 Like

Lol. Probably not. The fact of doing college level - or at least de facto AP - should be good. Doesn’t seem like the Iowa would tell all that much more the SAT or maybe ACT. Do kids still take ACT? It always seemed like a better test to me.

Very interesting. I never thought about home school taking standardized tests. Or having organized legal. :grin: Obviously, a majority of homeschooling is very well organized these days. It’s interesting to know about other parts of it as well. I had no idea.

1 Like

I used to look at the weekly ads for the 4 grocery stores that issue them and make my shopping lists based on what was on special. I would drop by a different store on my way home from work a couple of days a week. On Saturday morning, I would go to Costco. I can’t do that now. I wouldn’t want to wait in line at 3-4 stores a week to get in.

Someone in the family has been going to one grocery store a week for the family. On Friday, I took DS19 with me and we filled up the trunk with food. And then all the wiping before we can bring the food into the house, fridge, or freezer!

On Sunday, we opened the fridge and realized we were out of milk. Nobody has been to Costco since last Tuesday. Since DH had to go to the office anyway, he went to Costco after work. It’s the first time he has been to the store since the sheltering in place order began 3 weeks ago. He said it was surreal and unbelievable! He bought 4 gallons of organic whole milk (no limit). There was a limit on one box of eggs, any size. He bought 5 dozen. Meats were limited to one per meat group (one chicken, one beef …) There was no canned veggies or soup; frozen veggies, chicken, or hamburger patties. But he could buy as much fresh fruit and veggies as he wanted. He loaded up on fresh produce that would keep or we could cook and freeze.

People aren’t eating out much (no daily eating lunch out at school and/or work). Perhaps that is one reason why there is a bigger run for groceries. Also, Blue Apron’s orders have sky rocketed.

2 Likes

Ours is actually less expensive than buying it at the grocery store. But then, this is a local convenience store. I believe milk prices are regulated to a certain extent, so they can’t really charge a whole lot more than any other store.

2 Likes

Have you considered bringing one of your older teens or adult children to the store with you? Then, you can buy twice as much! I took DS19 last week and we hit two stores.

3 Likes

I may need to. Thanks.