Convince me to go on EE

Okay, I am a huge roller coaster wimp. I absolutely hate the feeling of my stomach rising on a big drop. I have therefore, never gone on Expedition Everest.

Now, I love Big Thunder. I love Space Mountain (though I always brace myself for the last “big” drop.)
I hate and avoid Splash Mountain. I really didn’t like The Mummy ride at Universal.

Would I enjoy EE? Be as honest as possible. I know it’s a great coaster in general, so I can’t help but wonder if I’m missing out. Even thinking about trying it stresses me out :stuck_out_tongue: But maybe it’s not so bad?

2 Likes

Have you watched a virtual ride on You Tube? Personally I love it, yet I can’t do Space Mountain because it beats the heck out of my knees.

1 Like

Yes, I feel like if you love Big Thunder you should try EE. EE is a smoother ride than BTMRR and its so fast the stomach feeling doesn’t last but for a split second. Try it!!!

2 Likes

I am also a coaster chicken. My greatest fear is the big drops after a long climb. My DH convinced me that there weren’t really any huge drops on EE. As we slowly climbed the mountain on my first ride I was ready to kill him, BUT it turned out that after the big climb there is only a little drop into the mountain. :grinning: There is a slightly bigger drop a bit later but nothing too bad at all. I ended up loving EE. BTMRR is still my favourite coaster at WDW but EE is a close second.

I really don’t do a lot of coasters. I can handle all of the ones at WDW but won’t go near any of the ones at Universal.

3 Likes

That is very good to know! I think I might have to work up the courage and try it this January… I know DH will want to try it.

3 Likes

Unfortunately I cannot convince you. I love coasters, RNRC is my favorite ride ever, but as I get older (45 now) I find that sadly I am affected more by coasters than I used to be. EE is fun thematically, but my ride last month will be my last for EE. Fortunately we rode early in the morning before eating anything or I’m pretty sure I would have lost it. Not sure if it was the going backwards part or what but it really made me queasy! So if your stomach is iffy I would not recommend.

1 Like

It doesn’t have huge drops, however, it goes pretty fast in reverse and jerks you quite a bit. My daughter who loves most coasters thought that part was too rough. I personally am fine with drops but anything spinning makes me sick, EE made me feel a bit queasy.

2 Likes

I think i’ll have to watch a video of the coaster to get a better feel for the backwards part… I’m wondering how tight that backwards spiral is…

I think it’s actually very comparable to the Mummy. I love them both, but if you didn’t like one I doubt you’d like the other.

3 Likes

I wrote a similar post last year before I went on EE! I was so scared of it. The first climb, seeing the broken track, the backwards part. I am also a self proclaimed roller coaster wuss. I don’t do a lot of bigger theme park coasters (universal, cedar point, six flags) and Space Mt scares me! I do like Splash MT, Big Thunder, and Slinky Dog. So I went on EE last trip and LOVED it. It wasn’t as bad as I imagined and the backwards part didn’t mess with me at all (and I do get motion sick sometimes). Now I’d say it’s one of my favorite rides. But I was so nervous beforehand it was ridiculous :slight_smile: I would say it’s a little more intense than Big Thunder but in my opinion not as bad as Space so if you like those two, I think you should try it!

4 Likes

That is encouraging! Of course it’s easy for me to say now… but i’m feeling positive I can at least try it once.

1 Like

My ma is 72 years old. She’s been on EE 3 times. I think you’re getting freaked out by the very visible drop, but don’t overthink it and just get on board that beautiful steam train!

3 Likes

You can do it! Try it just once. It is in my top 3 favorite rides at WDW. The theming and atmosphere, especially at night, makes for an exciting adventure. The roller coaster’s motion is smooth but thrilling. The backwards part adds a bit to the suspense, but there are no inversions and you feel very secure in the sturdy, protective cart and snug restraints.

All that said, watch the video. The big drop near the end is 80’ vs. 50’ on Splash Mountain. Splash is designed to make their drop feel much bigger than it is whereas the EE drop kind of blends into the rest of the ride, but if you don’t like drops, I wouldn’t want you to go on thinking there isn’t one. I totally agree with @missoverexcited that it is most similar to Mummy.

4 Likes

EE is not a big drop. Maybe for Wallyworld it’s a big drop. YOLO. Do it once. Matter of fact, wait for the front row. Especially if you dig BTMR.

Do not, I repeat, Do NOT. EVER, get convinced to go on Tower Of Terror.

P.S. I absolutely LOVE TOT. My S.O. would file for divorce if I was able to somehow talk her into getting on that ride. I ask each time, but nothing more than one ask. Pretty sure she’d be looking up divorce lawyers in Orlando before we even got thru the gift shop afterwards.

3 Likes

Yeah, i’ve been on Tower of Terror. But I always hated it… I only went on it back in the day when it was just one big drop. Now it’s a bunch of drops bouncing up and down… I don’t get why they changed it. Either way, I’m not a ToT fan…

1 Like

There are quite a few variations of drop sequences, actually. Some are quick so they kinda feel like bounces, but some are LONG secondary drops, which is way cool. I think we did TOT 14 times on our last 5 day trip.

There is nothing like that bell ringing, and the door opening to either bright sunlight in the day, or seeing the park lit up at night,and then…

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

3 Likes

Haha! Well i’m certainly glad you enjoy it :wink: I’m gonna have DH go on it in January (his first time at WDW.) I know he’ll really appreciate it for the Twilight Zone influence.

I have a love/hate relationship with EE. I love it because it was the last time I rode an attraction with my mom before she became too ill to travel. I hate it because it was a total flashback to riding SM, my first attraction with my dad at six years old, far too young and scary for my thrill-averse self. Me on each ride: :no_good_woman:t2:, screaming in fear the whole way.

Nevertheless, I love me some BTMRR and SDMT. Weird, right? I don’t get it either.

2 Likes

Two words: Disco Yeti

6 Likes

You mean this guy? @ discoyeti

2 Likes