Considering LESS Days Due to Genie+

So, after taking a look at their list and seeing in stark letters what’s actually available at EP, HS, and AK, I’m thinking that I can bump all of them down to one day per park because of Genie+.

Before, I would split EP into 2 days, for instance. One day I would get a Tier 1 FP for Test Track and the other day for Soarin’. That kind of thing.

But now, I’m not so sure I’ll need as much time as before.

Thoughts? Am I looking at this wrong?

2 Likes

From what they’ve said at the business meetings, I think that is a goal of Disney. Shorter trips spending more money each day.

5 Likes

I agree its feasible given you can just buy your way onto the main rides if thats your goal. If you are planning to do more than rides, i think its still beneficial to have an additional day on yoru favorite parks, especially at MK since there are many rides/entertainment that are not G+

3 Likes

but if everyone is buying their way into a shorter line will the lines/waits remain slow?

3 Likes

MK will ALWAYS be a two-day park for me. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is odd, to me.

For G+, it’s an extra $30 for me and DH compared to $200+ for the both of us to have a second day at say AK. And I’m not there 2 days to eat. To me, they’re losing money.

6 Likes

MAYBE. It is too soon to say. But we don’t know how utilized the Genie+ service will be, nor how far out each next available slot will be. As such, you might still end up needing to spend a fair amount of time in standby as you wait for your LL access time. If the time to the LL access is relatively short, great. But if it is consistently 90-120 minutes out, you’ll want to spend that 90-120 minutes doing other things most likely without the shortened wait. You will also still have SOME wait for the LL access on some rides.

So, how much time will it actually save you is yet to be determined. So many factors play into it.

Having said that, it might very well be beneficial for you, and allow you to go fewer days (assuming that getting on rides is your primary focus of such a trip). Not sure when your trip is, but keep your eyes posted for feet-on-the-ground reports of this once it goes live so that you can make a more informed decision.

6 Likes

I agree, i think this is short sighted, many people will be moving to stay off site with no more MDE. And the next thing to do is think how much you want to actually do and if its really just the E-tickets, you can pay to do those and then go over to Universal for days 5 and 6. I think they underestimate how much income is from retail sales, food purchases and leading and trailing hotel stays.

5 Likes

I think their thought is that someone else will take your hotel room.

Not saying it will pan out that way, especially since on-site benefits are almost gone. But, it wouldn’t be the first time a company made a New-Coke-level bad move.

7 Likes

I think the idea is that people who stay longer will spend less on a per-day basis if you average it out because you buy the same number of souvenirs, etc, across, say, 7 days instead of 4. So, (making up numbers here) if you go for 7 days, and your average spend is $300/day, that’s $2100. But if you go for 4 days, and your average spend is $325/day, for you that is cheaper, at $1300…but Disney now can fill that same room you were using with a DIFFERENT family for the remaining 3 days, where they are spending, on average, the $325. All told, Disney sees $2275 instead of $2100…so they actually make $175 more by having you stay fewer days.

For any individual guest, this might not be totally true, when you average this out across all guests, it is what Disney is banking on!

7 Likes

I’m chuckling and it makes me want to be as miserly as possible and stay for a long trip.

I actually won’t buy the same number of souvenirs because I budget a “per day” souvenir allowance. So they lose money there, too.

And I’m consistently off-site so I don’t factor into their room calculations.

I read where trams still aren’t back and someone said it’s because Chapek wants people to continue to pay for preferred parking. Eventually, all this will bite them in the rear.

5 Likes

I don’t think that’s true at all. Chapek gets a lot of undeserved flak. They still don’t have enough staff, including bus driver shortages…so trams have to wait until they have enough staff. (Having said that…you could argue that they are having trouble getting people back due to the way the staff was let go at the start of the pandemic…but I think Iger was just as much involved then as well.)

7 Likes

I hadn’t heard this, but I guess it is a money grab thing that Chapek is becoming known for???.

Preferred parking is $$$$$$ I do pay for it b/c I only have to pay the difference between regular parking and preferred b/c I get free parking w/ DVC and AP, and I can’t hike from the rear right now. If they had trams I would use my free parking.

1 Like

In the news a few weeks back they shared WDW finally got to $15 an hour, a few months behind US making that leap for starting pay. WDW has lost a lot of ppl and trouble getting them back b/c they are paying less than competitors.

2 Likes

Sure. But my point is that I don’t think it is some master plan to hold off running trams so they can make more on preferred parking. I think they are holding off running trams because they don’t have the staffing. In the meantime, preferred parking is an option. If they LOWERED the price of preferred parking, however, they might see too many people using it and the preferred parking becomes filled.

I just don’t see any conspiracy in this.

3 Likes

That’s the question isn’t it. We’ll soon find out!

2 Likes

True or not, it is sad that it can’t be immediately dismissed. It does sound like something Cheap-ek would do.

4 Likes

Agree - part of this is trying to decrease crowds. While one side of the Chapek equation is “maximizing revenue” the other side is “optimizing guest experience”.

1 Like

They do actually have the staffing, but there were some other logistical/technical issues that are not clear. More like an operations challenge.

I know a CP student brought in to do trams who is struggling to get work hours since they are not running. But I haven’t been able to get the full what’s going on" story.

2 Likes

…and if they are not open to full capacity do they need to run the trams? I don’t know but is the walk from the parking at WDW to a tapin the same distance as US ppl having to walk through city walk to get to the parks? I know it’s a long hike at US… if they can get away w/ not having trams at WDW while park attendance is limited then it is a savings. A good business decision.