Confirmed: CHAPEK OUT!

Careful what you wish for. Chapek was ousted for bad numbers, not bc fans don’t like him. Although Iger is more of a people person, parks will still be squeezed to subsidize streaming.

9 Likes

Well, Iger at least knows how to talk to investors in a way that doesn’t tick off park faithful and has a better handle on the Hollywood/creative side of things.

But if I recall the earnings call that shocked everyone had to do with the losses on the streaming side (which were predicted) so maybe it is only right that Iger cleans up the books from his last massive acquisition.

Also:

Iger has always been terrible on paying employees.
Iger was relentless on pushing IP into the parks
Iger cancelled a ton of in-park entertainment pre-pandemic

I am not sad to see Chapek go, but I am also not happy to see Iger back for another 2 years. We will see how it balances out in the end.

12 Likes

So… I guess no one liked the guy, huh?

Can’t believe not a single person will come out to defend him somehow… maybe with some complex analysis of how we would be better off with Chapek because of x, y and z.

Has @ryan1 said anything yet?

3 Likes

We’re currently at the point in Batman Begins where Bruce Wayne thinks Ra’s al Ghul died in that fire.

10 Likes

Agree!

I think he will be better on the creative side, but will that be movies/streaming or imagineering? Or both?

3 Likes

I’ll defend Chapek… as COO or CFO to Iger’s CEO. They could have made a good team if each had enough humility to appreciate the other’s qualities more.

5 Likes

I need a different metaphor. I don’t Batman.

1 Like

here is my take - and honestly it aint worth crap but I am all for the streaming if we get a little quality…to be honest I think its failing cause what its putting out is horrible really bad like worse than attack of the killer tomatoes…B movies are a step up compared to “Disenchanted”- there is a reason its hemorrhaging everyone watched their favorites and its done the new content is really bad…

4 Likes

I’ve heard talk recently that he had a disastrous interview where he stuck his foot in his mouth. I wasn’t paying much attention, though.

2 Likes

when did he do an interview that wasn’t a disaster? Our fans are fat so lets cut portions!

8 Likes

Truth, but there was some controversy and it was very recent. I just don’t know the particulars.

1 Like

He did say that animation is only for kids.

4 Likes

Maybe that was it. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

That seems like a crazy thing for the CEO of Disney to believe, much less say out loud. Like, do you know your own brand?

6 Likes

With any luck: the door.

7 Likes

or lets not forget the whole- Disneyland -"unfavorable attendance " when referring to Magic key holders-
or was it the WDW AP holders don’t bring in value for the company

5 Likes

This is me right now.

18 Likes

double hearts on that one-

5 Likes

Very much so.

4 Likes

“Disney CEO Bob Chapek says animated films aren’t for adults”

And yet Disney parks around the world are full of thousands of grown ass adults wearing Mickey ears and hugging cartoon characters.

(To be clear, I’m one of them.)

9 Likes