Confirmed: CHAPEK OUT!

Is this since Iger returned?

Asking because Iger had already been complaining to friends about Chapek and high park costs earlier this year.

ETA:

4 Likes

This is what I have heard being said - remarks prior to Sunday’s changes

4 Likes

Found a link on Twitter. This is an article that refers to the original “unnamed sources “ this week.

9 Likes

Yeah that’s just an article reporting the same exact info from the WSJ article I shared a clip from.

I do hope that we hear something soon from Iger regarding theme park prices now that he is in charge. At this point, no ticket price hike for a year would be a bonus.

1 Like

It is behind a paywall for me but I think it is this statement:

Iger blasted numerous decisions made by ex-CEO Bob Chapek, including his moves to hike prices at theme parks including Disney World and Disneyland in order to make up for losses during the pandemic, the Wall Street Journal reported Wednesday, citing anonymous sources.

I know they are reporting old statements but I think other news organizations are confused.

6 Likes

Yeah when a reporter reports on a report from a different news source, the timeline can easily get skewed.

8 Likes

This is at Castaway Cay for those who don’t know

It used to look like this

13 Likes

Hahaha I think back in my April combined wdw/DCL report I posted this sign and said they misspelled “shit”

8 Likes

Reading an interesting article in the OC Register: Disney’s Iger tells employees hiring freeze to stay in place – Orange County Register

Top points from Iger’s employee townhall:

1. Hiring freeze is staying in place

2. Apple merger is “pure speculation”, he is comfortable with the assets the company currently has.

3. Focus is now on making streaming profitable, not focused on subscribers.

4. FL political issues - the company remains “committed to inclusion” and “Reedy Creek” is important to the company, whatever that all means!

5. Studying the reservation system with “resorts division chief Josh D’Amaro”. First time we have seen the CEO flag these issues as Josh issues.

7 Likes

I’ve been waiting for someone to post about this.

DD and I watched it. All I will add to everything that has been shared on blogs so far is he answered every question with the reminder that yesterday was his actual first day back at work.

He also kept saying he needs to sit down and find out all the details of everything before going forward.

So everything that is coming out was a sort of non-answer answer to a question asked.

I honestly wasn’t expecting him to say too much yet anyway. But it was really nice to see him and hear his way of speaking compared to what we’ve been hearing the last couple years :wink:

9 Likes

I saw a Disney-focused news vlog last night that said he - Iger - is putting the power back into the hands of the appropriate chiefs, not micromanaging them any longer or making decisions FOR them, but looking to work WITH them. And yes, that since this is a Parks issue, he needs D’Amaro to make this decision and he will seek to get some insight WITH D’Amaro on the whys of whatever decision he (D’Amaro) thinks is right

And he asked CMs to believe in themselves and in the company

This is what good leadership sounds like.

12 Likes

Haha I suspected you were!

The “leak” definitely seemed to reflect non-answer answers, but with a willingness to signal direction, if that makes sense.

I agree. Good leadership absolutely asks the hard questions without directing the “how”: “what do the operations people think” “how will this impact guest experience” "can current IT support this?

This also makes it more consequential to Josh. He will own it instead of the CEO taking the fall.

I really liked his non-answer answer to the FL situation. Strong and confident and on the right side of things. As an employee I would feel more like he has my back.

6 Likes

Yes 100%!! Not just from my own perspective of being a sort of employee. DD and everyone she works with, including people that have been there for years are saying this.

There were also a couple things asked (I’ll let you work out what) where he literally said “it would be illegal for me to comment on that”

8 Likes

100% and this is critical

5 Likes

Luckily accountability can bring out the best in people!

4 Likes

It makes me happy that the CM’s are feeling good about this, for now at least. To me that’s the most important part and what’s critical to having great CM’s and magic.

6 Likes

@SA just posted this on chat:

This is written by Len. I think it was @OBNurseNH that posted the trick to get around the paywall? Thanks! It worked!

12 Likes

…and we’re patiently waiting for someone to post the trick again.

4 Likes

Oh em gee

Please hold

2 Likes

Thank you :kissing_heart:

1 Like