Confirmed: CHAPEK OUT!

So…I should have bought some Disney stock on Friday? :roll_eyes:

7 Likes

Stock price has dropped from $191 in March 2021 to $91. His contract was renewed in June and it was on an upswing in August, at $120

As a very small shareholder, I’m excited.

3 Likes

There is a perception on Wall Street though that Chapek damaged the Disney brand, and that’s one of the things dragging the stock price down. So in that sense, it does tangentially have something to do with the fans, but only in the sense that it affects the stock.

10 Likes

OMG, I love it when the internet corcles back on itself :joy:

So funny enough - I have been commenting all week that the Chapek memo to staff read a lot like emails I have been getting at my 85 person organization. Thinking about it from a “things are the same everywhere” perspective.

Now I am like, someone in senior management better watch out :eyes:

4 Likes

Plus, he can dry his tears with the extra bonus money he got for alienating Disney fanatics into taking an extended Time Away From Each Other.

3 Likes

there’s also the possibility (he said, grasping at straws, knowing it’s likely on the same level as a snowball’s life expectancy in hell) that with Iger back, people will actually want to come work at Disney again at the parks; ending the staff shortage.

IF Disney actually hires (which I think they have not been because of self imposed refusals), it allows everything to open up again, which allows more people in the parks without feeling overly crowded, which allows for more people to buy things, which allows for more money to come from the parks. Which helps Disney’s overall bottom line.

So …maybe…sorta…possibly…there’s a chance this will benefit the parks?

yeah, probably not. I’m sticking with “not”.

4 Likes

Is it possible, though, that less horrible is better than the devil himself? Even if that’s what we’re getting, we still kicked the devil out.

AND, is it not possible for people to grow and adapt? Perhaps Iger has learned (ironically!) from Chapek. Perhaps he will be different than the one he was when he was so hated.

Just some thoughts.

5 Likes

Honestly, I think quite a few people are going to end up being disappointed in the park changes they believe are going to happen because of Chapek’s departure.

10 Likes

100% this.

8 Likes

This could definitely play into improvements. And, long game, revenue as you point out.

3 Likes

I think we should all find this part of the WSJ article really, really concerning. These hedgefunds are what is driving decisions. But interesting that the one doesn’t want Iger back:

Disney has also faced pressure from multiple activist hedge-fund investors this year. Trian Fund Management LP earlier this month bought more than $800 million worth of Disney stock in the days following the company’s lackluster fiscal fourth-quarter earnings report, according to people familiar with the matter. The stake—under the 5% disclosure threshold—isn’t as large as Trian would like it to be and will likely grow, subject to market conditions, they said.

The activist fund, which was founded by Nelson Peltz, Ed Garden and Peter May, is seeking a seat on Disney’s board as it pushes the entertainment giant to make operational improvements and cut costs, according to the people. Trian has studied the business for a long time, they added.

Trian’s view is that Mr. Iger shouldn’t be back in control of the company, the people said.

Trian’s interest comes after activist investor Dan Loeb’s Third Point LLC said in August that it had taken a stake in Disney stock after having liquidated its position earlier this year. Mr. Loeb sent a letter to Mr. Chapek asking for major changes to the business. He called for Disney to spin off ESPN, refresh its board and cut spending, though a month later he backed off on the demand.

In response to Mr. Loeb’s suggestions, the company appointed Carolyn Everson, a veteran digital advertising executive, to its board, and agreed to a standstill with Third Point.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/walt-disney-names-bob-iger-ceo-replacing-bob-chapek-11669000050

3 Likes

To be clear, you’re absolutely right. I just mean that they get the added benefit of appeasing the fans by ousting chapek. It’s a no-lose for them.

7 Likes

While this is undoubtedly true, I thought coke was so blase…so 1980s… Haven’t we moved on to more exciting things?

2 Likes

meth

5 Likes

fentanyl-laced meth?

3 Likes

This this this this this this this. :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

3 Likes

I concur.

Which suggests that fans may one day wax nostalgic about the good old days under Chapek when G+ was but $29.

4 Likes

Yeah…let’s go back to coke…

1 Like

Sure.

6 Likes

I was watching the kid on YouTube last night, so I haven’t confirmed the accuracy of his statements, but I have little reason to doubt him. He said that the parks division has seen a gross profit percentage of between 20-30% historically. The difference between 20 and 30 is billions. Iger understands that you have to spend money, in the right places, to make money. At the parks level I can already hear him saying “remember all those blue sky ideas we told you about at D23? We couldn’t decide so we’re building a whole new park” [bookmarking my own thread for the I told you so I’ll love to say in 18 months]. Internally, at the corporate level, it would make a ton of sense to quietly beef up internal audit to reduce fraud, waste and abuse. That’s where they’ll improve those margins and get more bottom line money.

6 Likes