Compression socks

Bananas are known to be a good source of potassium (which is one of the salt minerals already mentioned). Salty potato chips can also help (per long distance bicycle rider). Gee, tough choices!

3 Likes

Thanks! Haven’t had shin issues recently. Have suffered shin splints in my life but that’s about it. This is really just the foot aches from swelling when I spent a lot of time on my feet in a day, like in the parks. Or when we take extra long walks on Saturdays, usually over my regular 5K distance.

For the most part ever since I started training for the 5K and getting those steps in everyday my feet actually feel better than the used to day to day :smiley:

5 Likes

Ah so you know of which I speak

2 Likes

:rofl: yes! This might surprise you but I was at one time actually, sort of a runner :wink: Never ran a race but iI did run for exercise.

3 Likes

It doesn’t surprise me :slight_smile:

People and their interests change throughout their lifetime!

I didn’t know that about you before though!

4 Likes

It’s always irritated me that shoes wear out.

And quickly if you’re doing many miles a week.

I think I read somewhere that every 3 months is about right for replacing your shoes.

Somehow that was more annoying - tho less expensive - than replacing my walk behind mower every year. :thinking:

2 Likes

Typically, at least for sneakers, they say about 500 miles. So if you walk a lot, then you probably hit that 500 miles fairly often. I can’t imagine every 3 months is necessary unless you are getting “cheap” shoes, or you are walking, on average, 5 miles a day.

Or more

The 3 months was directed at walkers/runners.

If you think it might be potassium, this is what I take.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015C2ZI2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Very inoffensive flavor on the level with a fiber supplement.
There are calculators online for vitamin/mineral intake. Enter an average day’s diet at the parks and tell yourself that you won’t look at the calories so when in doubt on quantity, you enter the larger end. The recommended potassium is mid-4000’s. I always seem to be around 1500. I have Restless Legs Syndrome, and the potassium makes it go away. The Emergen-C packets have some potassium in them too.
On vacations where we are walking a lot I have this foot gel that has Mg in it. Mg can be absorbed through the skin.

:rotating_light: :rotating_light: :rotating_light: :rotating_light: :rotating_light: :rotating_light: :rotating_light: :rotating_light:

Please be incredibly cautious about supplementing potassium without discussing with your healthcare team.

4 Likes

I stand corrected. I do not wear them to bed as I thought they would restrict blood flow but those that know better than I say this is not the case. I am NOT a doctor but was a para medic but we didn’t do things like this. I was only part time Para Medic and it has been years since I rode a ambulance.

2 Likes

I wear Nabee compression socks. I have short calves and was having a hard time finding ones that would fit correctly. I wore mine on two 8 hour flights this summer and my legs felt great. In fact, I actually wore them for longer than that due to another shorter connecting flight. I have a family history of blood clots so I try to be careful

3 Likes

First order has arrived! I will be testing them out tomorrow during and after my walk.

The knee high pair is really long. I can pull them up over my knee. I like how thin they are though, I was expecting much thicker material.

4 Likes

Hylands leg cramp tablets are the best!

For really bad ones rhe Theraworx Relief Fast Acting Foam is also good.

@ThorKat I don’t think you need more than the 15-20mg. I strongly prefer stockings - I have had to wear them for one leg since I was a teenager so it may be what I am used to. I also have weirldy shaped calves so I feel like the socks never fit.

But wearing stockings in the heat can be tough.

(I see it looks like you got some. I like the look of the Lilly Trotters)

This can be the case if they don’t fit appropriately- I can get this at the line where my foot meets my leg when the socks are too tight (not the graded pressure, but too tight)

4 Likes

Compression hose help as does elevating your legs for a few minutes 3x/day. You are reversing the pull of gravity of the fluid/blood. I can’t see any benefits to just foot compression for most people. You typically need at least knee high to really help.

But here’s a secret- When you do calf muscle pump exercises, you actually get better flow of blood out of your legs than when you’re wearing support hose. So pump your ankles on a ride or on a plane. Even hopping on a stationary bike for 5-10 minutes at the end of the day helps tremendously as you perform ankle pumps just to turn the pedals.

7 Likes

Thank you!

As an outlier who will never find a proper size :smile:

3 Likes

It’s an issue for a lot of people. An even bigger issue is trying to get them on with aging, arthritic hands. It’s a big barrier to compliance.

4 Likes

I wore the crew socks on my walk today.

I liked the tightness around my arches. But my regular walking socks do that as well.

I like that the toes are thinner fabric. My usual socks are padded/thicker around the toes and I don’t like that it makes my toes feel cramped in some shoes.

The top edge felt a little tight when I first put them on but once I started walking it was fine.

I put the knee high on after my shower. Not sure my feet feel any different though :woman_shrugging: it’s possible they weren’t very swollen today.

3 Likes

This is omg to me - when DH had his knees replaced. His feet were long with heels that stuck out the back. Those Ted hose were such a trial ! :smile::grin::laughing: between those feet and my mobility and grip, I just had to laugh. Really glad he only had 2 knees. :sunglasses:

For me it’s more lymph than venous and legs up works well. I’ve always felt that the soles of my feet are so key. Calf lifts works.

3 Likes

Fitting is why I went from hose to socks. Big part of the issue for me is short calves but wide. Hose/calf are fine to start but as the day goes on gravitates to my ankles and at my knees. Would get very red, deep, creases in my skin that hurt. Sort of counterproductive. I’ve had all types of measurements by fitters etc. and the men’s Sockwell ended up working best for me except they are too long but better in other ways. Fortunately, my dr didn’t see any edema since my weight loss, but I still like to wear them traveling. Also, Sockwell has come out with women’s wide calf and I think I need to try those.

I could only do compression garments because I’m allergic to sulfa drugs and almost all diuretics are related to sulfa. Yay :raccoon::raccoon:

Thanks for the ankle pump tip, going to add that to my traveling/theme park routine!

2 Likes