Choose the secret we know before life makes us grow, there’s nowhere to go but up! A turning 18/going to university celebration trip July 2022

Day 5 - Islands of Adventure morning

We were saying goodbye to French Quarter this morning, if only for a while.

It was an early start again, we were in a Lyft at 6am and on our way to Hard Rock Hotel!

There was nobody waiting at check in so it was a really quick process to get our temporary room keys that act as express passes. We left our bags at Bell Services and headed off down the walking path to Islands of Adventure for early entry. Or at least we tried! I was not impressed to discover that security wasn’t open yet, or that there were quite a few people ahead of us. This didn’t happen last time! The woman behind us was tickled to see we were both wearing the same Harry Potter top and asked to take a picture with me. I should have got one too!

At 7.02 security finally opened - bags go through a scanner and people go through the metal detector. We hurried across CityWalk past Universal Studios to Islands of Adventure, where I was incredibly annoyed to discover there were already a lot of people waiting. We were second in line last time when security was already open at 6.45.

I was even more annoyed when the tapstyles finally opened (not sure what time as no pic!) but the TM wouldn’t scan my ticket in my lanyard. The full QR code was showing but he made me take it out anyway - it was a printed ticket. And of course I couldn’t get it out of the lanyard, it was pretty wedged in. Joe was furious :joy: Once we were through it was a free-for-all to get to Hagrid’s or Velocicoaster. They don’t walk you back anymore which surprised me since they still do at AK. So we walked with purpose to Hagrid’s, had our bag in the lockers and were in the queue by 8.03.

We never stopped moving, it was a short wait. I insisted on having the motorbike this time as last time we only managed to ride once and Joe had the motorbike. It was noticeably more thrilling than the sidecar!

Next we hustled to Velocicoaster. The posted wait was longer than we wanted to see - I think it was up to an hour - but I trusted that it would be less. And we hadn’t been as close to the front for Hagrid’s as I’d expected so we were getting here a bit late. It ended up about 30 mins and it’s not too bad a queue to wait in, at least when you get indoors.

Wow!! What a ride! Terrifying and exhilarating in equal measure. Joe immediately told me it was his new favourite.

There was no way we were getting back in that now even longer line to ride it again though! It was back to Hogsmeade for us to ride Forbidden Journey. I love Hogsmeade!!

I love this ride but you’d never know it from the photo. They take it while you’re under a gigantic spider.

It was 9.30ish now and we were starving so we went to the 3 Broomsticks for breakfast. This was such a long wait! I had pancakes and Joe had a full English. We both had butterbeer of course.

After breakfast we headed through the Lost Continent and Seuss Landing towards Superhero Island. I was surprised that Joe suggested we ride Cat in the Hat but he does know I have a soft spot for it.

The whole land is so cute!

We stopped at Hulk next. They never announced a breakdown but the line definitely stopped for quite a while. We waited 25 minutes. It’s a horrible queue, so hot and noisy! But the ride is amazing. I bumped into same shirt woman in the locker area, she seemed happy to see me again.

We then wandered down the street towards Spider-Man.

Joe saw Dr Doom though and wanted to stop there. It’s an ok drop ride ride but not worth waiting for. Luckily it was a walk on with express pass. And we were sat on the side that looks out over the park.

Spider-Man has been a favourite with our whole family since the first time we rode it. Even Sean my oldest son loves it and he doesn’t do rides. It’s so much fun!

Our next stop was the comic shop - it’s pretty good but Joe didn’t buy anything this time.

And then we carried on through Toon Lagoon - neither of us wanted to get soaked so we didn’t do the rides and we skipped Kong too, the wait is disproportionate to the quality of the ride.

But we did stop at Jurassic Park River Journey. We were sat well back so we didn’t get too wet on this.

Finally we were back where we started in Hogsmeade.

We were going to catch the Hogwarts Express to London and see what adventures awaited us there!

25 Likes

How did you manage this with a teenager?!?

Agree.

That’s the same thing Robert said.

That is so sweet.

Too funny.

9 Likes

If he needs to do it, he’ll do it. Other times he’ll stay in bed all day.

8 Likes

The lady behind guys on Velocicoaster looks like she’s having a heart attack. Poor thing. And that FJ pic… what a horrid angle for a pic. I can now see why they say that ride is size unfriendly. You would think there would be a better harness design.

7 Likes

She does a bit, but she doesn’t look entirely unhappy about it! They made some seats more size accessible about 10 years ago but it’s still very small.

6 Likes

Day 5 - Universal Studios and Hard Rock Hotel

Hogsmeade Station was practically empty when we arrived just before 12.30, and the Hogwarts Express pulled in just a couple of minutes later. Such a cute little ride!

After arriving in London, we went straight to Diagon Alley.

I wanted to take my time (and lots of photos!) but Joe wanted to get straight on Gringotts so off we went.

It is a great ride but I prefer Forbidden Journey. Maybe just because I rode it back before Diagon Alley was built. Afterwards I did take a few photos, and then we went for ice cream at Florian Fortescue’s. That was a really long line and it moved so slowly!! The Ice cream is great though.

We hung around outside the ice cream shop to eat them as they were melting rapidly and we didn’t want to get covered in it as we walked round. While we were there, the dragon breathed fire - it was an interesting angle!

The fire breathing seemed much less frequent than our previous visits, but maybe we were just unlucky with the timing. We took a few more pics in Diagon Alley and then out in London.

Next we went to Men in Black, which is fun even though I’m really bad at it, like all these shooting games. I’m still really competitive though and get so annoyed!

Joe destroyed me! We carried on around to Simpsons. We’ve often found this is a long wait even with Express Pass but it seemed reasonable today. It’s a fun ride, I thought it was amazing the first time I ever did it but I’m starting to get a bit bored of it now. Bring back Back to the Future!

We came out into a full on storm. We didn’t let that worry us though, and joined the line for Transformers - which was right down the side of the building, I guess a lot of other people did the same thing.

I’m not a massive fan of Transformers, I think it’s just that I don’t have the emotional connection that I do with Spider-Man - the rides are the same basically.

It was still stormy when we got out so Rip Ride Rockit was still down. I suggested the Bourne show which Joe shot down instantly (me “it’s supposed to be very good” Joe “well so are the films according to some people but they’re garbage too”). Then I half jokingly suggested ET which I knew he wouldn’t ride. Then he suggested the Horror Make Up show which is a really funny show that we missed last trip. We were quite early but that just gave us time to have a look around.

We had really good seats towards the middle if the front row and the show was just as great as I remembered it. The ‘volunteer’ was a woman called Glenda and the hosts kept calling her Glinda and cracking Wizard of Oz jokes. I’m glad we fit this in, I would have been sad to miss it again.

It was still storming when we came out, but it was after 4! We walked back to HRH to see if our room was ready. They always say we’ll definitely get the text and we never do. There were a couple of people ahead of us so we waited a few minutes at check in. I love the lobby so I didn’t mind at all. They always have great music playing, and gorgeous artwork.

Not to my surprise at all, the room was ready and we just hadn’t received the text. We always seem to end up down the same hallway.

I went straight to look at the view and it was awesome! A pool view…

…but what was that behind the pool in the distance? The Islands of Adventure lighthouse and Dr Doom towers, Hogwarts and Rip Ride Rockit! I was thrilled.

As always, we had to measure Joe on the mirror - not much point measuring me every time - and he is now as tall as Michael Bublé and Bruce Springsteen.

We got ready for dinner - the pool was just opening up as we were about to leave so we couldn’t swim - and headed over to CityWalk for our Cowfish reservation.

They took us straight away since I couldn’t get a text, and we were seated ‘outside’ - it’s covered, you’re not sitting out in the sun. It was quite nice. Joe had the Texas Longhorn burger and I had The Big Squeal. We were both too full for dessert. I didn’t have a cocktail as we were going to ride coasters, which is a shame as there are several I’d like to try.

Our first stop after dinner was of course Universal Studios again so that we could ride RRR!

We got our stuff in a locker and then headed to the express pass entrance, where the TM warned us it was going to be a 70 minute wait. I asked her if she was joking but she said not, it was because of the storm downtime. I said to Joe we would have to leave it for tonight, but he just walked into the line. I was furious but followed him, where I quickly noticed that there didn’t seem to be much of a line at all. We didn’t hit a queue until we’d got upstairs. There was a wait but it was only about 15 minutes. I had Rollin’, Joe wanted something off the secret song list but put the wring number in and got something he’d never heard of :joy:

Then we had another delay when we couldn’t get our ride photo. Usually a TM finds your photo and scans your card. But at Rip Ride Rockit, they give you a receipt with a code and you link it yourself on the website. I had bought a photo package but the TM wouldn’t give me the code because I was using a temporary card. I do get that anyone can ask for a temporary card, and I guess if they already had an account they could get the pic for free. But I showed her the proof that I had bought the package. Anyway, I went and activated the package and got the proper card and finally got the code to link.

And then we were on our way to Islands of Adventure!

The plan was to do Velocicoaster and then Hagrid’s.

So we got to Velocicoaster, I forget what the posted wait was but TP was predicting 42 minutes. Joe, with all the confidence in his expertise that you’d expect of a teenage boy who’d ridden it once at rope drop, declared that there was no way it was a 40 minute wait. We joined the queue, but just at the point where we were about to have to stop Joe spotted a low railing which he stepped over to get back to the main walkway. I followed, because what else was I going to do? I said to him that he’d been willing to wait 70 minutes for RRR but wouldn’t do 40 for his self proclaimed new favourite? I didn’t get it. And he just told me to get back in the queue, he was going back to the room. And then he was gone, while I was still standing there speechless and incandescent with rage. I didn’t want to ride it without him. I did have a look at Hagrid’s, TP was predicting about an 80 min wait. No thank you. I was not in the mood to stay in the park on my own, so I made my way out and over to the boat dock for the water taxi.

While I was waiting, I realised the little boy sat down in front of me was spitting on the floor and drawing saliva pictures! It was gross. His parents hadn’t noticed. And then I realised they were English - way to represent us kid!! I would say way over half the people there were British so I shouldn’t have been surprised. The water taxi came and it is a really short ride to HRH, the skipper said it’s the shortest one. We didn’t even get to the end of the song that was on.

I think Joe actually had a gippy tummy, he was in the bathroom when I got back and then got straight in bed. I read for a while, and then watched the fireworks out the window - I didn’t get any good pics though. I would have enjoyed going out for a swim but I’d only bought one bikini and we were doing Volcano Bay in the morning.

After the fireworks I went to bed. The pool was very noisy though - I wasn’t quite so thrilled with the view tonight :joy:

26 Likes

So relatable.

Dinner then, and ToT. Building our Long Lost Besties Who Never Knew They Were Besties Do WDW Itin. @JustKeepSmiling has wise advice

yaaaaaassssssss!!!

That is awful! It’s amazing the variability among photogs. Some really love what they do and the pics they make reflect it. Others … well … you know.

Love these little traditions!

:laughing:

What a great pic though!

Yum!

10 Likes

Poor Joe, he hated everyone saying happy birthday to him when it wasn’t his birthday :joy:

10 Likes

10 Likes

Yay best park!!

You can just see his enthusiasm for pics beginning to wan

Nope! Laughing!!

Le sigh :heart:

:frowning:

7 Likes

You really can, and there was a lot more holiday to go!

I took lots of tree pics for you.

8 Likes

Wow. I can’t believe Joe just walked off from VC! I guess if he really wasn’t feeling well he gets a pass, but he needs a stern talking to! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

12 Likes

I was so annoyed!!

10 Likes

Dinner sounds great and I will be happy to accompany all the way thru the queue. But ToT has nothing to do with 20 seconds of bravery. There is a better than equal chance that I won’t be able to stand up afterwards.

If it dropped once, I probably would have ridden long before now but the multi-drops worry me. Just like flying - nonstop flights are fine but if I go multiple legs, it lays me out with vertigo for 3-4 weeks. I just figure being able to drive home after HS might make it worth skipping.

I’ll withdraw my application now…

7 Likes

Wheelchair to the rescue!

OK fine I’ll ride alone. :frowning: But you’ll only have yourself to blame if I find a new bestie in the queue or ride vehicle.

9 Likes

Ryley screamed the same thing at me from the 'vator as I was walking through the chicken exit.

6 Likes

Oh. Maybe then my bestie is Ryley :thinking:

10 Likes

I’ll fill in for the ride portion. Since @ScottFL and I are both local we’re basically the same person right?

8 Likes

:thinking:

I mean, I love you both but … no? I think you’re really sort of different from one another, even as you are also similar.

8 Likes

I love the random MK photo thrown in this post.

8 Likes