Chances of SWGE opening early October?

…what? No. It’s televised on ABC on Christmas Morning. Why would you need to have been there to know that?

1 Like

Apparently even being a SW fan and a Disney fan isn’t enough. I didn’t know they televised the Disney parade ever.

…is your real name Caveman Carl? :rofl:

1 Like

Perhaps you guys are thinking of different parades. The usually MK Christmas season Disney parade is not televised. There is, however, a Disney Christmas special (and a Disney holiday special around Thanksgiving) where there is another parade that is filmed early in November and televised as part of the special.

I never knew about the second one until I had kids who watched the specials.

Who would be the primary audience for watching a Disney parade on Christmas Day, though? Obviously I don’t know for sure, but I can imagine that a vast majority of viewers are folks who have been to Disney before anyhow.

Potter opening at Uni was somewhat apocolyptic. I expect this to be the same. Plus, DHS isn’t set up to handle the crowds like the other parks. I expect it to be apocolyptic, but I don’t think it will last for years.

2 Likes

Ugh, stop. The primary audience is children(and lately tweens it would seem) and their parents to entice them to come to Disney. It’s been televised every Christmas since 1983. How you never heard of it is quite a feat. This is not something that is quietly broadcast because ABC had nothing else to put on. They dedicate many many tv and radio commercials to it every year.

But of course a good chunk of viewers are going to be folks who have been to Disney given that it’s been on for over 30 years. But it’s certainly not only going to be those who have been to the parks recently to know that the parade is on TV.

1 Like

Anecdotal - I was talking to someone at work about my upcoming trip. They mentioned they had never been but with “Star Wars Land” opening soon, they would definitely be going as they are huge SW fans. I asked how they had heard about it - he said that he’s seen a ton about it online, on Star Wars sites, etc. There’s definitely a contingent of SW fans who aren’t parks fans who are excited about this.

2 Likes

I’m confused why you are pestering me about this, though. My ENTIRE POINT is that I just think maybe we’re not going to see things as badly as we’ve all been fearing (open day/week issues aside).

I think we are in for about 6 months of hurt.

6 months isn’t too bad. I hope it plays out that way. I’m still anticipating doing little more than walking through (riding nothing) in our May 2020 trip. Hoping that for December 2020, though, my wife and I will be able to get to ride things.

Pandora has been open nearly 2 years and is still rammed and has up to 4 hour waits for FoP but you think Star Wars Land will be fine in 6 months?!

6 Likes

I…wasn’t? I was simply debunking your hopeful conclusion that was based on bad evidence.

I think we’re in for a lot more than 6 months though. Using 7DMT, Frozen, Avatar, and Toy Story Land as my examples: those can be considered micro in comparison and FOP just posted a 4.5 hour wait on Saturday (I don’t know if it goes higher than that on the scale lol) and FOP has been open for over a year and a half now, right (or thereabouts)? Frozen was and is still a lonnnng wait on most days as is 7DMT.

I think it’ll play out like TSL: you’ll be able to walk around while it being elbow-to-elbow at times, but riding anything without a FPP is going to be a loss of a half a day. Especially the Falcon ride. And I expect this to go on for at least 5 years.

4 Likes

What I’m saying is that in 6 months SW will get down to Pandora-like levels. For the first 6 months it will be unlike anything we have ever seen before.

1 Like

Well that makes more sense, although I still think it will be a lot longer than 6 months before it’s even at Pandora levels of craziness.

2 Likes

Honestly, I’m a Disney fan and have seen the parade on TV once in my lifetime. We can’t even access it at this point, as ABC does not come through my antenna and we don’t have cable or satellite. We stream and can watch NBC on our antenna. So I had no idea the parade was geared towards GE and I’m sure there are quite a number of people like me that haven’t watched it.

I also know quite a number of people that have no idea that Star Wars GE is coming to Disney World. They barely understand that Universal and Disney are 2 different places.

1 Like

This made me LOL, for real, as it is so true. I even overheard people on the bus from AKL to some park (they were staying on Disney property!) wondering out loud amongst their party whether Harry Potter was at Epcot or Hollywood Studios. At that point, I didn’t have the heart to tell them. Those same people will probably stand in line at SWGE for 8 hours only to find out that it is Star Wars and not the new Guardians of the Galaxy ride. :laughing:

6 Likes

YES! Bahahahahahaha.

1 Like

The best hope we can have is that the rides are terrible and get so poorly reviewed that crowds die down quickly. Wait, is that something to hope for? Never mind. It will be terrible. How long were the lines just to GET IN TO Pandora when it first opened? Not the ride lines, just people waiting because the land was at capacity. I can’t even imagine what that is like, having them say, no more people in this part of the park!

1 Like

This is pretty common thinking in my social circle (that UO is one of the Disney parks). When I hear friends saying this, I have the internal dilemma of (a) do I correct them and risk sounding like a WDW know-it-all, or (b) let them eventually figure it our themselves when they are either trip planning or in Orlando.