CDC says vaccinated people don’t need masks

There is a very solid study that shows that in those without strong side effects after dose 2, the presence of neutralizing antibodies was equivalent to those who had strong side effects. So, take home, is that strong reaction means it’s working, but no reaction also means it’s working :slight_smile:

We are all vaccinated here now, except my youngest. If we carry on without masks, are we risking transmitting to him? Is the CDC green only describing protection of ourselves? Just wondering whether the data indicates no transmission by vaccinated folks (I haven’t seen definitively but I haven’t really looked). I would think it would be more risky, however, if the potentially exposed unvaccinated individual was high risk, which my youngest is not.

5 Likes

I would really like to see something on this too.

3 Likes

CDC has stated transmission is highly unlikely if you are fully vaccinated. It has also been indicated that the risk of spread isn’t really possible for those who are truly vaccinated, but only those for whom the vaccination does not fully work (the ~10%). Even then, they have stated that there isn’t evidence that there would be enough infection to actually spread.

All evidence seems to support the idea that spread isn’t possible, then, for the vaccinated.

4 Likes

Thanks @ryan1 . I went and looked at the CDC study https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7013e3.htm

I guess if you don’t have enough virus to be “infected”, you cannot transmit. Makes sense. I thought the original clinical trials measured infection based on testing following symptoms or exposure but looks like CDC has followed 1st responders post-vaccine and measured their infection levels. So, the lifted mask mandate for vaccinated folks is certainly welcome.

4 Likes

If it is, then open your bloody borders to the rest of the world. Or, at least, the bit I’m from.

3 Likes

Rachel Maddow just had a great interview w/ the head of the CDC this evening. I am not sure when that clip will be available, but they addressed a lot of what you are asking about.

Basically, Dr. Walensky said that even if a fully vaccinated person contracted COVID-19 (very small percentage), either with or without symptoms, their viral load will be so small that there wouldn’t be transmission to others they come into contact with.

She said it much better during the interview, but I think I shared the gist of it.

7 Likes

Congrats on the vaccine and thank you for being part of the solution. I too had bad side effects from moderna a second dose but I was better in a day.
I think 2022 will be back to business as usual!

3 Likes

Actually, that is the very interview transcript that directed me to the CDC study I posted above!

3 Likes

Thanks it’s airing again at 2400hrs I set to record it and I’ll watch tomorrow

I’m sorry your trip isn’t more secure yet. I hope you are able to come.

I keep deleting something very funny. I will leave it deleted.

I hope you can come.

3 Likes

Her show uploads to podcast form the next day. I’ll take a listen in the morning!

2 Likes

This somehow makes me think of the 80s rock song Big Balls.

What?

It’s about parties.

2 Likes

I’ll post something funny, then.

This is me:

6 Likes

Was not the case for me but maybe I was an anomaly. Had C19 in October and thankfully fully recovered after a couple of weeks.

Received Moderna dose one end of Jan and dose two late Feb. Other than significant arm soreness after dose one (it was comically sore for a single day), I felt fine.

3 Likes

Particularly since the newer strains are hitting younger children pretty hard.

1 Like

:+1: I watch it that way if I miss it the night before!

I didn’t see the entire interview but Rachel also asked Dr. Wallensky the about different rules for mass transit and travel and Dr Wallensky said what they do is meet with the relevant travel agencies and come up with new rules or guidelines using the updated CDC info so naybe sometime later this month or sometime in June we’ll see some changes in that regard.

1 Like

I hope that the CDC is correct. However, over the past year and even just what they have said the current year I have lost any remaining faith in them and particularly their leadership. The let themselves become political tools and in doing so, endangered millions of people.

The CDC has some major issues, the worst one is they lack common sense about things. This guideline is ripe for being abused by the anti-vax/ anti-mask folks, particularly the ones desperate enough to buy forged vaccination cards.

When WHO or some other international agency concurs I will feel better about this. These new guidelines seem to be coming rather conveniently and quickly.

I don’t mean to be a downer about this but I don’t like how public health became political and so now I’m finding it hard to trust. I’ll stop here before I say something that I regret. (I’m having a crappy day so that may have something to do with how I feel idk).

11 Likes

No no, that’s a valid point. The CDC did, most definitely, change its tune to whatever to appease the political power in charge. But the upshot is that it is no longer under that pressure. They’re now free to let the science do the actual talking. There’s no one standing there going “Approve this. Or else.”

But I agree, I still will feel a lot more confident once the WHO signs off too.

9 Likes

I don’t think they have stopped bending to political pressure. It’s just more subtle. They were pretty “helpful” to this admin to get schools open with little regard to the safety of children and staff. It’s obvious from all their school guidelines that the people coming up with them haven’t set foot in a k-12 school since they were students. Particularly schools that are and have been underfunded for decades and primarily serve POC. The same POC who are more at risk for deadly outcomes if they get COVID-19.

2 Likes