Calling Anyone Who Has Traveled by Train to Orlando

The AutoTrain had WiFi, but it definitely dropped in and out a lot.

It was sufficient to quickly check on things, but not suitable for streaming anything, and spotty for any kind of web browsing or picture uploads.

1 Like

The actual seat may not have an outlet - the aisle seat is meant to use the outlet by the window, thus the long cords. The cars Iā€™m familiar with are not as new as the one shown in the photo. I do now think I may remember that there are handicap seats in the older cars. Iā€™m thinking theyā€™re in the first row of each car. Maybe @mkmuzzy or @Minnie27mouse can recall.

Train car configurations can change depending on what rolling stock is available when the train is made up - which no one would know, ahead of time, on the passenger facing end of things. And how many passengers there are. When we were traveling to NM a lot I loved to get the older (predating Amtrak) overflow car because it had better stow your stuff areas. Back when you could pick your seat. Now youā€™re grouped according to destination.

Iā€™ve used a TA occasionally when booking at WDW but always dealt with Amtrak directly. Iā€™d call after 9 pm - if theyā€™re still manning phone lines! - with questions. Iā€™ve seldom had Julie, the online chat bot, help with sensible answers. Rarely is my question understood. :blush:

1 Like

On the AutoTrain all of the outlets were by the window, none on individual seats.

We did make sure we had long enough cords!

2 Likes

Sorry, itā€™s been about 20 years since I last rode Amtrak. Iā€™m glad there are other folk who have much more recent experience, and with this route.

2 Likes

Yup!

Hoping @SirGreggLadyV can add to our continuing store of knowledge. :blush:

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure if flying is an option for you, but I know that you are somewhat close to me in Asheville, and the Allegiant fares from here to Orlando may be about the same as the train without having to drive to Columbia. Youā€™ll have to get transportation from Sanford, but that should be about the same as from the Orlando train station.

1 Like

Asheville and Columbia are equidistant from me and Columbia doesnā€™t have the mountain to drive up. Besides, can you really get a round trip ticket from allegiant for $100?

1 Like

Yeah, I was referring to transport from the train station to WDW. I would definitely handle Amtrack myself.

I would hope so since Amtrack is saying they all have them. But I see what youā€™re saying. Iā€™m guessing that some older ones may not be single seats?

Yes. Theyā€™re double seats at the bulkhead, first row in the car. So more leg room. No tray or foot rest. I wouldnā€™t miss the tray but Iā€™m short - love the foot rest. I have used my duffle bag on some trips - sometimes the foot rest is a bit too far. :relaxed:

However those bulkhead seats might presumably be reserved for folks that need them - not ticketed for general public.

Maybe youā€™d get a new car and then your view would be better than a wall ahead of you.

For trips when I didnā€™t wear slip on shoes onto the train, I had some in my duffel for slipping on to move about the train.

Most of my trips have been long distance, usually more than one overnight. :blush:

1 Like

The website states that the WiFi provided isnā€™t meant for streaming or uploading/downloading media.

However, thatā€™s all moot because I hope to be sleeping! And I donā€™t use public WiFi even with a VPN because itā€™s unreliable. I have unlimited data if it connects in rural areas.

1 Like

Well, Iā€™ll be booking handicapped, so presumably Iā€™ll get whatever they have. Hoping for the newer type, though. A footrest would have been nice, but well, more room would be better.

1 Like

Oh, I thought that you were closer to this way! It depends on when you are going, but Allegiant for our last trip was $112 round trip/pp.

3 Likes

Of course weā€™ll need a train report. Both ways!

1 Like

Of course!

1 Like

I didnā€™t read any responses yet, but we loved taking the Amtrak auto train from Lorton, Va to about an hour outside Orlando. I see you were probably going to come from somewhere else, but will talk about it anyway because itā€™s a unique travel option. The auto train only does this one route. You can pack up your car with so much more than you could fly with. You then have your car with you in Orlando. My family of 5 did this twice and loved it, 2015 and 19. Thereā€™s a very detailed review of this train on the yourfirstvisit website. We booked the family room of the sleeper car. It says on the website that only 4 can stay there but i called and they allowed the 5 of us because our youngest was so small. We loved the dining car although with covid i might take the meals in our room. Update, Iā€™ve now scanned responses. I see that others are talking about auto train. In general, re antrak and not just auto train, we liked amtrak service and would use it again. The food was much better than i expected. There was the constant movement and we could feel it the whole next day but none of us felt ill. I brought seasickness stuff just in case . Mostly i got really bored. The 2nd trip i made sure to bring more tech to keep us occupied.

2 Likes

Thanks for your thoughts. Iā€™d love to take the auto train! That would be so much fun. Unfortunately, thatā€™s not something available to me.

Iā€™ve gotten some good answers here, and Iā€™m thankful. What Iā€™m most concerned with right now is the start of the trip and the end. In truth, Iā€™m more concerned with the ending than the beginning.

1 Like

Wow - just read through this.
Have you made a decision?
It sounds like so much work.
Is it much cheaper than flying?

I donā€™t actually know your travel dates, but the rates calendar on SWA is showing plenty of combos for less than $300 in July. Obviously the exact date matters.

Itā€™s been several years since we roads the train so I donā€™t think I can provide more valuable advise than you have already gotten.

Throwing this out there in case you havenā€™t considered it yetā€¦
If the return trip on the train is your biggest concern, could you look at a flight option for that portion?

2 Likes

Itā€™s $100 round trip with a handicapped discount.

I need to talk it over with DH. So no.

With all the problems Iā€™ve heard about planes being cancelled or rescheduled, Iā€™m not about to go on a plane. I understand that the train may be running late, but Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s not going to be rescheduled for an earlier timeframe.

2 Likes