Calling Anyone Who Has Traveled by Train to Orlando

The return trip itself isn’t the issue. It’s how I’m going to get home from there. The cheapest would be for DH to pick me up, but it will never happen that early in the morning.

This is where Amtrak can get really annoying. You can follow the arrival times and the train will be consistently 2 hours late on the return leg until the day you’re on the train. And then it’ll be on time. Proudly on time.

Did you say the station is manned until 5:45 am daily?

Yes.

What’s the earliest convenient time for you to be collected from the train station?

Noon if DH picks me up. I’m assuming that a lift or Uber would be hard to get to drive me all the way home. I wouldn’t mind hanging out in Columbia somewhere, but luggage.

Would it be worthwhile to get a hotel room and sleep?

You could leave your luggage with the hotel when it is time to check out, and explore until your dh arrives.

2 Likes

Uber might be expensive.

My niece needed a ride from the Wichita KS airport to Springfield MO in the middle of the night, some years ago, at the last minute. Seemingly impossible. She looked on Uber and found a retired couple who didn’t mind the time of night if they could go part way. I’m fuzzy on details now but it seems like some one from Springfield met the Wichita driver somewhere and my niece got to Springfield. One of the drivers even had freshly baked brownies with him.

I’m too suspicious - I’d be wary of food being offered by strangers.

My niece was short on money so I know the Uber drivers didn’t charge exorbitantly.

Another thought: are there other times the station is open? Other trains? Thinking of luggage storage.

If there’s a Visitor Center they may be a resource for luggage storage solutions and/or hanging out solutions, or even drivers.

Where do folks in your town go for specialty medical care? Probably closer than Columbia.
My aunt in Iowa mentioned that her town had a list of drivers to take folks to appointments in the big hospital several towns away. Not the same as a ride from a train station.

1 Like

At this point the more expensive option is definitely looking easier. A ride from Columbia home or hotel or anything else is just going to add more $ anyway.

2 Likes

Trains can not leave a station earlier than the scheduled time. Obviously they can leave later. :smirk:

Train travel feels more civilized to me as - so far, touch wood - our belongings are our own and our persons are not subject to groping.

As well as the whole land cruise vibe . . .

2 Likes

I do have work mates that live nearby (we are statewide). Perhaps one of them could help me out.

5 Likes

That’s a great idea!

1 Like

Charlotte or Greenville, some may be in Charleston.

1 Like

Dang it.

eta: holding out hope for work mates

eta again: hopefully you’ll despise train travel after this. Because if you enjoyed yourself, all is lost.

:blush::rofl::joy::sunglasses:

1 Like

DH and I talked it out today, and he wants me to just drive and park the car in Columbia. He would feel better if I could leave the car at someone’s house, though, but then I’d need transport to and from the station both ways.

I will call the station tonight to talk about safe parking.

3 Likes

Good call.

I was taking a west bound train from a town in Iowa, some 4 hours from here. Driving there saved going from here on the train to Chicago switching trains and then going thru this Iowa town.

The guy in the station had info on a particular location in the station parking lot to long term park, said it was safe - nothing had ever been bothered, and it was free. The town has about 25,000 pop. So much smaller.

2 Likes

I wonder if there is a hotel close by that has park and ride like they do at cruise terminals.

I wish I could go on a cruise. Did you hear that Charleston’s port will only have Carnival through 2024. So much for my dream of cruising frequently out of my home state.

Carnival Cruise Line leaving Charleston in 2024 (travelmole.com)

2 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl: I actually did hear that and was not surprised one bit. That port is overflowing with trade, giving up the cruise port will just open more space for more trade.

2 Likes

interesting! I have never been there. I hope to go this summer or fall.

1 Like

Who knows. I hope I can find someplace.

No, I had not heard this. :crying_cat_face:

2 Likes

I would totally ask local hotels. It is such a thing for airports and cruise ships…

3 Likes