Calling Anyone Who Has Traveled by Train to Orlando

There will still be some sort of handicap availability. Even in the older cars. I don’t recall what the eastern trains do. I have occasionally when I can find a good deal checked into a hotel/motel the night before. And driven 5 hours to get on a train route that goes where I want to go.

I’d be interested in your take on train travel if you can make it work. It’s certainly improved and I’d surely like to keep train travel going. Options are always good.

2 Likes

Last summer on our WDW bucket list trip we took Amtrak from Milwaukee to Orlando in sleeper cars. It was great and tiring all at the same time but we didn’t want to fly at that point due to Covid and we do like riding trains.

The train stations are more like bus stops at best except in places like Chicago or DC. Plan on arranging a pick up with a car service or Uber etc. Plan it ahead of time so they will be there when you arrive. The train may be delayed so make sure they are ok with that.

If you want/need more details I’ll try to find the details from last summer. Just let me know! :grin:

3 Likes

Which service did you use to be picked up?

I’ll look it up. It’s what my Touring Plans TA got us. I did most of the trip all on my own but at the end there were a couple of things I just didn’t want to deal with and I found her through a FB group that isn’t associated with TP - I was like this is a sign! Lol. Give me a sec to look it up.

1 Like

Florida Magical Tours and Transportation. They were not cheap but they were awesome. On time or early. Waited with AC running so car was not hot at all. It says it was a sedan but I think it was upgraded to an SUV.

And we did come in via Orlando Health/ Amtrak

If I remember correctly the driver contacted us via text the day of and we let him know how the train was running.

1 Like

I’m trying to be cheap so that I can enjoy my time there.

1 Like

Sarah Goff is the agents name with TP and we are using her for DL and another UOR/WDW trip.

I don’t know what an Uber or Lyft would cost.

1 Like

I’m using a TA for my room and tickets. Hadn’t thought about asking her for travel. Maybe I should.

3 Likes

Definitely ask. They may have deals. Who knows? I didn’t check the services website because I was so happy to not have to deal with it. Plus knowing I had a TA to reach out to if things went sideways.

1 Like

Tho I don’t know their fees there are a couple of transpo options thru Ears for each other, on facebook.

1 Like

We have taken the AutoTrain on 3 or 4 trips now, but I am pretty sure that it can be different than other trains.

We have always booked coach as it was significantly less $$$$$ than the roomettes. The seats were large and on par w/ a first class airline seat. Tons of leg room, a lovely recline, and a bonus foot/leg support as well. There were a number of electrical outlets available along the window (I don’t think your CPAP machine would be an issue.).

We brought fleece blankets and PillowPets for everyone (except dh, he wanted no part of the PillowPets). Sometimes it is chilly, sometimes it is super warm…and sometimes that is within hours of each other! Each of us also were stocked up on snacks, books/Kindles, downloaded movies on laptops, and music on our phones. Everyone had headphones and that makes the noise level of the train running greatly reduced.

We had dinner and breakfast on the train in the dining car (included in our AT ticket) and there was additional food available for purchase in the lounge car.

The AT uses stations in Lorton, VA and Sanford, FL so I don’t know much about the Orlando station.

I am used to riding commuter rail up here in PA (and when I was growing up in NY). I have also ridden Amtrak between Philly & NYC…but all of that is very different than the AT or the trip you are looking at.

I will note that we avoid the lower level of the coach AT cars. The bathrooms are located there and aren’t apparently cleaned very often (at least on the AT) so the lower level can have some unpleasant odors. :nauseated_face:

All in all, we really enjoy our AT trips. We did it the first time because we were doing 5 nights at WDW and a 5 night cruise on DCL. I couldn’t figure out an affordable way to get back and forth to the cruise (it was $$). We were going to drive, but then when I looked into the AT, it was cheaper than the four of us flying…including the car! (The secret to the AT is to book 6-9 months out for the best fares. As you get in the 2-4mo range the price skyrockets!).

The AT is also ds’ preferred way to travel. He hates flying and the AT is a lot quieter and less stressful for him.

4 Likes

I wonder if dining cars are open now that masking is not required. The kid in our house traveled to Austin by Amtrak in Oct 2020 and sure missed the food service.

What?!?!

I looked into that, but I could drive to WDW quicker and cheaper than getting the AT from where I live. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Oh, and thanks for the info.

1 Like

We did the auto train last year. It was great. But that’s not what you’d be on.

Two months ago we took the silver star from Philly to Raleigh - that’s your train from Columbia to Orlando. On the way down, the train was delayed 2.5 hours. On our way back, it was another 2 hours. So definitely monitor prior stations for how on time things are. No need to go to a train station at 1 am if the train isn’t going to be there until 3am…. Also, the silver star doesn’t have wireless internet, which was shocking to me. I use the northeast Amtrak corridor all the time so I guess I’m spoiled. But just wanted you to be aware.

2 Likes

Thank you! I don’t use public WiFi, so no big deal. That is weird that it doesn’t have it. Was it just not working, or did they say?

The Silver Star does travel thru some rural areas which might impact their wifi, maybe? Your phone’s battery may be chronically low if it’s searching for some sort of cell service.

It will be the middle of the night and the website says they all have outlets, right?

Yes. They do have outlets.