Bump and Dump Room Only Reservation?

I pounced on a confirmed DVC rental today and am hoping I get it so I can save up to $1K on my stay. :flushed: However, today is the last day of my 5-day window, so if I don’t hear back in time, I could be stuck paying the one-day cancellation fee (which would still be less than my savings, but a bummer).

As a contingency plan, I remember seeing someone claim they could bump and dump a room-only reservation to avoid the fee. Anyone have actual experience doing so?

1 Like

You can modify the trip to avoid the fee ---- provided you can find availability

That’s gonna be the tricky part at this point in time.

1 Like

They just sent a boilerplate email saying the confirmation process can take “a day or two.” This is going to be a nail-biter for this hyper-planner. :joy:

1 Like

Yikes.

Meesa no liken dis timetable

1 Like

I’m hoping this owner is motivated to complete the paperwork quickly since she (that was the pronoun used in the email) is standing to lose out on ~117 points if she doesn’t close the rental!

1 Like

They at least responded to a follow-up question from me saying that I was the first to claim the rental, so as long as everything goes through, at least I know no one else beat me to clicking the link.

Btw this is for the Poly. We were supposed to be at Aulani next week, so we were thinking this might be a nice consolation. We have a cash room at Beach Club booked, which we know we would love, but it’s always good to try something different.

6 Likes

Oh what a great opportunity to “replace” Aulani

I hope it comes through!

2 Likes

Ooooh I hope this works! And I love that not EVERY confirmed Poly reservation is going for $35pp.

1 Like

I think I got mine for like $21? Very reasonable, but I’ve been stalking the postings daily for a month! The reservation has one extra night I don’t need on the front end, but I’m hoping that means we will have a room no matter how early we arrive since we will “check in” the day before we arrive.

1 Like

Oh that is great!! We did that in France and it was so worth it to have the room “ready” at 10am.

1 Like

make sure you tell the front desk your plans. We’ve done this before when we have a horrible flight time

3 Likes

Yes, I just did this for my trip. We moved our reservation to next April, then cancelled once I linked the Hotwire room. We were 3 days out from the trip when I did this.

3 Likes

Thanks! It’s not going to be a problem that I briefly have two rooms for the same dates with the same party, will it?

Now that I am not sure about. I had to call to move the dates so I didn’t want to link the new reservation until that was done to avoid a confused cm.

2 Likes

Well I guess we’ll see what happens! I just got an email that my reservation is confirmed. They’re sending over my rental agreement shortly, so this should be wrapped up in time for the 5-day deadline.

4 Likes

No it won’t be a problem in the short term. If you left all of that the same for the long-haul one of them would definitely get canceled. But for now and for short term as you’re trying to flip things over you’ll be fine

2 Likes

Just checked - it was $20pp + 4% PayPal fee ($95). I could have avoided the PayPal fee by paying via check or Zelle, but the PayPal option makes me feel more secure, and it’s easier.

2 Likes

And I just saw cash Beach Club villa (not sure if you were resort or villa) availability for December if you needed! Which sounds moot now. Yay! :confetti_ball:

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll keep that in mind in case I don’t get this swapped out in time. ETA: It was cash regular room.

1 Like

Good news! After some bungling with the rental office, I was able to sign my contract and link my new resort reservation. I just cancelled Beach Club and there was no mention of any cancellation fee, etc. All set!

Although I’m a little sad parting ways with BC, I’m really excited to check out Poly! And saving :money_with_wings::moneybag::money_mouth_face:

8 Likes