Bucket Trip UPDATE – Major Pixie Dust Moment

Please see my original post for important background information.

5/29 to 6/21 Basic Itinerary

5/29 get on train
5/31 arrive Orlando
5/31 to 6/7 Yacht Club
6/7 to 6/14 The Grand Floridian PIXIE DUST MOMENT
6/14 to 6/17 Hard Rock Hotel 2.5 days Universal Studios (Harry Potter focus)
6/17 get on train
6/18 arrive Washington DC stay 2 days (long story)
6/20 get on train
6/21 arrive home

PIXIE DUST MOMENT
Originally was going to be staying at the Contemporary but was contacted in January by Disney about the remodeling there that would affect my reservation. When I called them back, I got a wonderful CM who is now known as my Fairy Godmother. I told her our whole story as concisely as possible. There was also a 30% discount deal going on. I did ask for any pixie dust she could manage. She was able to get us an accessible room with a theme park view at the Grand Floridian (OMG) for less than what we had been going to pay for the Contemporary!!! She did some other things too and I am to contact her if I need anything!

Desired ADRs
BOG - lunch - Res Finder work your magic!!!
Narcoossee’s – dinner - confirmed
Homecomin – lunch - confirmed
Liberty Tree Tavern – dinner - confirmed
Ale & Compass – dinner AND breakfast - confirmed
50s Prime Time – lunch - confirmed
Sci Fi – dinner - confirmed
Grand Floridian Café – lunch
Crystal Palace - dinner - decided to skip
Oga’s - anytime - confirmed
Droid depot - confirmed

Park Schedule - 2nd update
5/31 EP evening
6/1 HS Star Wars focus
6/2 EP Future World focus & festival
6/3 EP tap in/DS Homecomin lunch/Hop to HS
6/4 EP World Showcase focus & festival
6/5 HS everything else and/or 2nd RotR attempt
6/6 rest day
6/7 switch hotels/Disney Springs
6/8 MK day 1
6/9 AK day 1
6/10 rest day
6/11 MK day 2
6/12 rest day
6/13 AK day 2

The only big thing to still sort out is how we are getting from the Orlando Amtrak station to Yacht Club. We have never used Uber or Lyft so need to think about our options. Same with traveling to Universal Studios.

WDW concerns I need to read up on (I have too many bookmarks lol)
Grocery delivery: Fresh vs Instacart
Switching hotels logistics
RotR – BG - we only have 2 phones so only one button masher if using one for official time.gov
Keeping up with changes due to covid as we get closer

DH update: he is responding well to his treatments and the cancer, so far, has been shrinking!!!

30 Likes

I’m so glad to hear DH is doing well! That’s some nice pixie dust.

3 Likes

Thanks. He does have a few (mostly manageable) side effects but overall we are really, really thankful for how he is doing.

I forgot to mention we will both be fully covid immunized before we leave so that is also a huge relief!!

10 Likes

Wow, what a trip you have planned!

Will keep your family in our continued prayers, PTL!

5 Likes

This isn’t an ADR is it? I thought it was QS?

3 Likes

I would use both phones to try, but use one to access the time and then switch over while counting down the last 5 seconds.

2 Likes

It is QS, good catch.

3 Likes

so good to hear your husband is doing well! Have a wonderful trip!

3 Likes

he is responding well to his treatments and the cancer, so far, has been shrinking!!!

That’s just wonderful news. Best Pixie Dust right there!

4 Likes

Thanks. I’ve been bouncing between so many menu screens I didn’t notice. I just knew we wanted to eat there. Lol

1 Like

We’re doing dining rezzies right now and I’m driving my family nuts with which menu looks better? Lol

3 Likes

Wow what an update! Glad to read things going well!!

2 Likes

Yes! I’ve been practicing doing this exact thing to maximize our number of phones available. Music training helps with keeping the count going while switching apps…

4 Likes

Since we will be in our hotel in the morning, I plan to have my laptop open with the time so we can use all phones.

2 Likes

Ooh. I could do that with my iPad as long as we can get a signal!

@threeprincessesfourprinces I know that in theory I can practice from home, but I haven’t had the time yet to read up on it. But it’s definitely something I need to do.

1 Like

The thing about staying at the GF, is that since it’s not a place we would normally ever be able to afford, (we are definitely bending our normal budget for things on this trip and I wouldn’t have it any other way) I had never even LOOKED at it or it’s restaurants. I would never have even thought to look at it if not for our Fairy Godmother.

Plus, it’s the only place that would make up for not staying at the Contemporary, which I’ve wanted to do since I saw it when we went when I was a child. A hotel with a monorail going through it!!! :scream: :grin:

5 Likes

See this thread…wise minds are advising us to head for the bus prior to 7 to make the AK bus then bus to Boardwalk approach to HS. So won’t have iPad or computer, although we will have 4-5 phones with our group. Thus the practice shifting apps.

ETA: Well, practice paid off and lesson learned. I had no trouble switching from time.gov to MDE app multiple times, MDE app screen stayed right where I had left it when switching back and forth. Today in practice however when I switched back to MDE app at 5 seconds to go, it put me back at the top of the home page and I had to scroll down again and was too late for BG. Won’t do that anymore.

2 Likes

I loved hearing about your Fairy Godmother.
There are definitely people like that out there, kind of gives me a little faith in humanity.
Can’t wait to see how this trip unfolds!

1 Like

Thanks. Fortunately since we will be staying at the YC and both will have scooters we plan on “driving” ourselves to HS. The only time we will need to rely on busses is from GF to AK. (I hope).

I know we probably won’t fit on FOP though I am going to try the test seat. However, is the “story” in the line worth it even though we probably won’t fit? Also, I saw on a Facebook post where someone just recently couldn’t fit and were given fast passes !!! as compensation. How does that work since they don’t have fast passes anymore? I tried asking the person but never got a reply. Thoughts…