Breaking news masks

And I’m glad it does - for big meaningful reasons (and also because masks in June in FL were not on my bucket list)

Right?!? Mine either. I once ran in a three layer cotton and polyester mask. I almost died. (I’m exaggerating but I know I’m not that outta shape and I was struggling to breathe). The second I just lifted the mask a tiny bit and air got in was like Heaven. I will appreciate being able to breathe when the heat index is in the 100-110s.

3 Likes

With all these big changes so quick, including park capacity increases, I wonder when they’re going to remove the 2 pm park hopping rule? Soon I hope!

5 Likes

I don’t know what to think of this. Like I said in another thread I think this is a reasonable move for mask use, BUT changing this on a day’s notice is terrible for those currently in the park or going soon who are not comfortable with this.

I’m wondering why they did it on such a short notice. To avoid any sudden spikes in crowds? Would there have been any if they had announced it a month early? Probably. But even a week earlier would’ve seemed reasonable. Confusing.

4 Likes

The definition of “outdoor” could get real sketchy when a lot of rides and queues are kind of open-air-buildings (don’t fully close up with doors and windows) or just covered. Someone mentioned the Hulk queue, which seems like a building and thus “indoors” but where the track comes through is completely open at both ends…

If people wanted to be jerks they could argue the minutiae and I’m sure decisions that seem inconsistent (why is this queue considered indoors and this one outdoors) will be trotted out all over the internet.

If Disney sticks to the “official ride entrance” = masks required, that seems easiest way to be consistent…if not quite in line with the indoor/outdoor CDC guidance.

5 Likes

I fall squarely in the middle on this one, feeling a little more cavalier than many. After all, ive been dealing with human aerosols in my face at work since day 1 of the pandemic. But I can’t help to wonder how this makes much sense given that Disney is flooded with people under 12 years of age who can’t yet get the vaccine. Even if they’re super unlikely to have serious side effects :man_shrugging:

10 Likes

True. Easiest to consistently enforce and what I think is a fair compromise for all the varying opinions and expectations on masks after the new guidance.

3 Likes

Thanks for the explanation! Did not even think that there could be two different types of outdoor queues. Disney’s write-up of the policy could use your help!!

3 Likes

Because USO did it that way and they have FOMO!

Actually, someone else said that they probably didn’t want a rush of people to head to USO instead of WDW because of the mask policy.

2 Likes

Another piece of info for restaurants. Even though Woody’s is totally outdoors, we had to put our masks on until we sat down. So for restaurants it does not appear to matter indoors vs outdoors, at least today.

9 Likes

:rofl:

2 Likes

This is surprising. I thought they would have made it more gradual to give people time to change their plans if they weren’t comfortable with the no masks. I feel bad for anyone who is there or leaving soon that expected masks and is not 100% comfortable without them.

7 Likes

Thanks for the “on the ground-real time” reporting!!

3 Likes

@OBNurseNH @Jeff_AZ and others…

It is clear to me they have increase capacity with the new park reservations that are open. My question is, what is your best guess as to who is reserving those newly opened reservations? I’m mostly taking about the non-AP reservations. Is it people booking last minute trip? Is it locals without AP’s? Is it people switching parks that already had trips booked? Just curious how much more crowded or how much longer the waits will be…

4 Likes

Excellent questions! I’m hoping that most people will not be able to fill the new limits in the 2 weeks :scream: that we have until we leave!!!

1 Like

The million dollar question! I’m sure there will be an influx of APs. But I’m hoping out of town visitors will take a month or so to ramp up, meaning hopefully shorter lines in the short term. Crossing my fingers!

2 Likes

It is very difficult to get a pk res w/ an AP at the last minute. You have to plan out way in advance. APs can only hold 3 res. at a time, as you know. Living locally I would perfer to be spontaneous rather than holding dates in the future that may or may not work out. I’m holding dates in October right now. Ok… this is me venting more than being helpful :joy::rofl::joy::rofl::woman_shrugging:

I was able to grab pk res for tomorrow, last night, even w/ AP being grayed out… so I try sometimes just to see what I can get away w/.

Also, sometimes I have a res and plan to show up in the evening and if I change my mind I’ve held up someone else’s opportunity. I feel guilty when I do that.

4 Likes

My best uneducated guess is MK and HS will have slightly higher lines than before (10-15 min on avg for bigger rides) and AK and EP will have similar or slightly shorter lines.

1 Like

Have you been to any shows yet? Are they loading all seats?

Also, curious if / when ADR’s open up capacity too.

Yes!!!:crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

1 Like