Booking flights

I know the business cards have different required spends to get different rewards, but checking for the personal ones at 404, they all require $5K in spending.

1 Like

I wonder if @heathernoel has a business card. They are super easy to get.

1 Like

No, my brain was mixing up the 3,000 annual bonus points and 30,000 one time points (when you sign up) and spend ā€¦$5,000.

Thanks for looking out for me!

And sorry for the incorrect info. Definitely makes it tougher.

3 Likes

For those who want to get a companion pass with sign on bonuses, the lower tier business card will give a 60,000 point sign on bonus with $3K in spending. The higher tier will give $80,000, but requires $5K in spending.

Iā€™m flying PVD to MCO late August (8/21 - 8/30). I booked Southwest flights when they came out. I booked with points, but the cash price was $119 each way. I check my flights every day so I am familiar with the costs! There was one day in mid-January when the price dropped to $99 each way (I was able to rebook and get some points back), but other than that they have been stable until recently when they started going up. Iā€™m not sure theyā€™re going to go back down again - itā€™s a slower time of year, but my flights from PVD to Orlando during vacation weeks never go down, and thereā€™s so much uncertainty right now with gas prices.

2 Likes

Iā€™m sure youā€™ve already looked at this but I usually get slightly cheaper fares by buying each way separately. Usually mixing and matching JetBlue and SW. Also if you can, we sometimes fly out of one (Logan or green) and into another.

Also flying from BOS in august. I booked OW on jet blue points but it was sooo many!
Stalking prices home, hoping they will drop.
The struggle is real!!!
The cost of my flights is going to be more than my food costs for this trip

1 Like

OK just to update.
Westjet gave me the equivalent seats at no extra cost and explained that they had scrapped the later flight entirely.
She said that because I had booked through a third party, they should have been contacting me about all flight changes.

1 Like

The struggle there is the trip to or from differing airports. Add a car service to one or both leg of that trip and you might end up breaking even on a fare out of and returning to the one airport.

I do all of the combos though. Our april trip fares are absolutely nauseating.

Yeah, usually lodging is the highest expenditure. Not anymore. (we are DVC but Iā€™m reflecting on what we ā€œsaveā€ in lodging costs and/or what the cash price of room might be)

We usually fly out of a combination of BOS, PVD and BDL. And have been able to rely upon the kindness of family for transportation. We were flying in late our last trip and I didnā€™t want to make my husband pick us up so late when he was starting a new job the next dayā€¦.after pricing out the car service, we decided he could go to work a little sleepy.

3 Likes

I refuse to do this, even to the MHT which is literally 2 miles from my house. Itā€™s a personal hangup of mine. Iā€™ll uber or lyft first.

2 Likes

Also DVC (thankfully)
Otherwise Iā€™d be seriously thinking about drastically cutting my trip days down.

I was also contemplating driving but both our vehicles are a bit high on mileage so I donā€™t want to risk it.

Itā€™s a struggle, we try to fly direct and have to pay extra for seat selection because we have a young one. I donā€™t want to spend my whole day in airports with a kidā€¦ā€¦

1 Like

Luckily, we all return the favors at some point or another. Iā€™m driving them to Logan next week as they head out to Key West.

3 Likes

Lately we have been sucking it up and parking at Logan, but I think the logan express in my area opened back up so we may try that option.
My sister usually offers to drive us as well, but I always hate to be a burden (even though she insists!)

These are the times Iā€™m grateful hubby and I work In desperate/dying professions. Hubby was able to pick up two extra 24s on his ambulance next month to help offset the prices, 32 hours of time and a half pay !!!

3 Likes

I have never purchased each flight separately before, maybe thats my best bet at this point! Especially if theres little to no chance of getting a nonstop flight either eay in the end.

2 Likes

I am looking at Frontier which has some much cheaper one ways out of PVD, but do they get you with the checked bag fees and then undo your savings? We have always flown SW so I am spoiled with always having the free checked bags.
Also, leaving on a Sunday was clearly a dumb idea, the rates are so much higher for flights out (for all carriers) or in Frontiers case not available at all. Should I move the whole reservation back a day with my TA just to save on flying? Then I can always tag an extra day on at the end of the trip if I can find a really cheap flight back. Am I even making any sense at this point? :joy:

This will torture me until I finally bite the bullet, in the meantime, I will be over here driving myself nuts :upside_down_face:
I truly appreciate everyoneā€™s 2 cents! Thanks :two_hearts:

2 Likes

How would your trip price change overall to move a day back? I would look at the overall price difference. How does the return flight look current vs pushing back a day?

2 Likes

Frontier does have extra fees for everything. Carryon bag, checked bag, seat selection, drinks, snacks, etc. Can easily negate any savings.