Booking flights

Does anyone have tips on when to buy RT flights to MCO for a late Aug trip ? Flying out of BOS or PVD (preferred). Its so dang expensive right now! I am hoping to save enough on the flights for our family of 4 (around $444 to be exact) to give me the excuse to add on one more day to our 8 day trip.
We havent been since 2018 so I would stay there for a month if we could afford it. :smirk:

Iā€™m in MHT, so the same market essentially, and itā€™s just plain awful right now. No tips/tricks/hints unfortunately :frowning:

2 Likes

I usually fly Southwest. I am also watching on Hopper(which is advising me to wait) and Google flights. Patience and persistenceā€¦:crossed_fingers::four_leaf_clover:

Just know that very few nonstops on Southwest form this area survive from booking to travel anymore. :frowning: They tend to consolidate flights and change schedules a LOT :frowning:

Unfortunately with everything going on in the world right now and gas prices soaring, I donā€™t think weā€™ll see deals on airfare any time soon.

3 Likes

Honestly, probably asap. I know my flights for May/June have only gone up from when we purchased in December. We spent almost double of what we usually do but the prices have since doubled again.

2 Likes

I will be sure to watch them like a hawk, then. The SW fare has been the same for the past 6 weeks, I will have to buy I guess if I see it go up at all between now and end of May. I am still holding out hope !

On SW, I donā€™t buy round trip. I buy each leg separately. Easier to rebook if the flight goes down or if a cheaper flight becomes available.

4 Likes

I am in the same market. Although I live very close to Logan MHT has always been my preferred airport with PVD 2nd. I bought tickets for July last weekend and one way for December. I cleared out 110k JetBlue points and a travel credit to book what I have now (plus cash). I was afraid they would go up.

Once again I am flying direct JetBlue out of Logan. With my JetBlue card I get a free checked bag.

2 Likes

OK I know itā€™s a tangent but I just found out that my return flight got changed and lost the seats I paid for.
All without any notification.
If I hadnā€™t been arranging a car service to MCO, I wouldnā€™t have even known my flight was moved up by 85 minutes.
An agent is supposed to call me tomorrow about the seats.

And now our leisurely last meal is going to be a race because 'Ohana offers nothing earlier except breakfast and weā€™ve already got plans for that

2 Likes

I posted last night that I booed my July flights last weekend. I woke up to my first ā€œaction needed, your flight has been changedā€ email. Like @GreyingMouser I just lost about 85 minutes. It will be interesting to see where this ends.

4 Likes

That bad, huh?

3 Likes

Yup- see what happens when I post during my morning walk?

4 Likes

But was it a typo, or a Freudian slip?

3 Likes

So maddening

3 Likes

Especially since they didnā€™t even have the basic customer service skills to notify me of the change.

And of course they moved me from upgraded seats by windows to fill aisle seats over the wings, while the exact equivalent seats on the new flight were vacant. After all, if they put me there then they couldnā€™t sell the upgrade for those seats to some other sap.

6 Likes

The family we are traveling with in July texted me last week that he had been watching flights and they were going up every day. I had already bought my return flight on Southwest with points (DC area) but hadnā€™t decided when I was flying to Orlando.

Sure enough Jet Blue prices had gone up $30. I took an extra day to decide (I added a night) and they went up $30 more!

In the end - do you think fuel prices will come down in the next few months? Then maybe wait.

Otherwise - I was thinking about travel credit cards. Southwesat has a free companion pass through 2/23 and 30,0000 bonus points after spending $5000 (edited with correct amount). If you have a big purchase coming up, you could do that, but it takes a little while for things to come through, so you would need to get there fast. Thats essentially two free flights. But the offer is only good through today.

1 Like

Thatā€™s infuriating. American has moved me before, but always to similar seats. Thatā€™s really crap service of them to do that to you.

3 Likes

According to Southwest, you need to spend $5000, not $3000. My husband and I just finished spending that much and weā€™re waiting for the credit card statement to close.

1 Like

I know that there are lots of different SW cards available with many different details. I wonder if there is one that offers it at 3K and one at 5K?

1 Like