Bob Iger is horrified by new CDC testing guidelines

This. Very well spoken.

From a science point of view - rather than comfort or enjoyment - germs are our friends.

I’ll comply when required because it’s required.

4 Likes

But that is not what this is - it is not good news that the virus is weakening or that it is not as bad as people thought. All they are saying is that they want to reduce testing, which in no way means that restrictions should be relaxed.

Given that the Mods have delivered a shot across the bow, I’m not going to touch this one, other than to say that it is the lie on which Fox News was founded.

11 Likes

You said you wouldn’t touch it, only to immediately touch it. Anyone claiming CNN is not extremely left-leaning in every way cannot be taken seriously. Too many examples to cite. Bashing the other side to distract from that is not very productive.

3 Likes

Nah. CNN is liberal. I read news from all different sites, and it clearly is. But I’ll agree that Fox likes to point it out as much as it can, which drives me batty! I wish they (Fox) would focus on the actual news, and less on what OTHER news outlets are saying. Fox is clearly conservative. I get it. Which means you have to read what they report with a grain of salt as well.

1 Like

I can agree with that. All three major cable news channels are clearly pushing narratives in the way they report just about everything. Two are clearly left, one is clearly right. I just wish people would be honest about that.

4 Likes

Well, here’s a Fox News story that quotes a doctor saying the changes contradict science. If they contradict science, why were they implemented? Three guesses.

And let’s not pretend that the new guidelines don’t follow what this administration has been trying to do: run fewer tests. What other proof do you need?

2 Likes

Actually, they aren’t really saying that (if you read the CNN article). Rather, they want to focus testing better. Same amount of testing, but shifting where those testing resources are done.

The “reduce” testing bit didn’t come from what the CDC is saying, or even directly quoting the president, but quoting Cuomo:

The connection of Cuomo’s opinion, what the President has said, and what the CDC is doing isn’t really there, but presented in a way by CNN to make it seem that way.

But I’ve read this same reporting about the CDC from multiple news sites, each with different bents.

I’m number three, but I’ve been on a board break. I’m used to holding unpopular opinions though.

3 Likes

Getting back to the original topic … I suspect that Bob Iger has as much of an interest expressing his opinion about Covid as those of us on this forum who post all the time. While Bob did not personally check with me ahead of time as he normally does before making his Twitter tweets :innocent:, his comments are understandable considering the community service he has provided in California to help counter the economic impact of the pandemic, as well as the effect it has had on his company.

3 Likes

Absolutely! :slight_smile:

Fascinating discussion! The sharp divide of opinions alone should give us pause to think about what is going on and consider thoughtfully all sides of the issue. There are “experts” on all sides of this issue and I am all for freedom of thought and of speech. Believe the virus is terrible and going to kill you if you don’t follow CDC guidelines or believe that it’s just one more virus in a long line of viruses making the rounds of the world and most immune systems can handle it fine, I just don’t care. Where I draw the line is at the use of force by governments and businesses and institutions to make people do things against their will and beliefs. Unhealthy and dehumanizing things like staying away from people and wearing a mask. That is unAmerican. Wear a mask or don’t, distance or don’t. Just don’t force me to do those things if I don’t believe in their efficacy. Even at Disney World, I don’t know why those who are afraid couldn’t wear a mask and try to distance. Actually, if you’re that afraid, maybe you should stay home until you aren’t afraid anymore. But to force everyone to join in the hysteria even against their will, rather than letting them go to Disney and have fun if they want and to just live and enjoy their lives normally is just as selfish as we are told non-mask wearers are. Do you see that both sides can appear unkind and selfish in this?

2 Likes

The trouble with this is that the mask wearing has NEVER been about protecting oneself. It has been about preventing spread to OTHERS.

I may feel it is perfectly safe and not want to wear a mask. I also might also be that asymptomatic/presymptomatic spreader. If I’m allowed to NOT wear a mask, then I put those others more at risk INCLUDING the mask-wearers.

So, I’m all in favor of mask mandates. Not sure I’d go so far as governmental mandates, so I’m really pleased to see businesses step up in this regard. (On the other hand, having governmental mask mandates puts more “bite” behind the businesses choosing to do it.)

8 Likes

No offense, but oh brother. A mask is dehumanizing? This is the argument? Hysteria?

I would be fine with folks who don’t want to follow the guidelines meant to get infections down if it only affected them. It doesn’t. I’m sorry but asking you to do things to lessen the chances of infecting other people is not as selfish as not doing that.

10 Likes

In a somewhat ironic twist, I just saw a news item about those who choose to wear masks below the nose, and how it actually might make them MORE susceptible to infection than they would otherwise be! :slight_smile: So, those who choose to pull their mask down thinking they can get away with it are actually increasing their own risk (potentially) versus not wearing a mask at all!

1 Like

I second this!

4 Likes

Even the best, most positive, assuming good intent, interpretation of this news still isn’t good news.

Best case scenario - tests are a scarce resource and the CDC is changing guidelines to better ration this scarce resource. If needed, better rationing is good, but it is still (very) scary news that it is needed.

Unless there is reasons to believe that better rationing would make a meaningful difference in combating the pandemic, and there is no sign of that anywhere.

Yes. I can’t help but wonder if the return to school is driving some of this. This will require a HUGE amount of testing, among all the schools and universities, at least in the short term.

I did see like a month ago that the FDA had approved the use of bucketing tests together, which would reduce testing needs considerably. I don’t know if that is being put into practice yet, or not…but universities and schools would be an ideal place to start!

I don’t post much, but I’m number four to agree. I think our opinions are not posted much because of the backlash that we receive.

I’ve gone to Disney World/Florida three times in the last 2 months. I live in Ohio and have flown each time. I wear a mask only because I am forced to. I have zero concern of my kids or myself contracting the virus. In Ohio we were only recommended to stay at home for 14 days after our trips, so we went on with our lives. My kids went to camp and daycare the day after we got home each time.

We tolerated the masks at Disney World only because we wanted to go and it is their policy. (And we wanted to enjoy the empty parks!)

If Disney gets rid of the mask requirement, we will probably go for a longer trip in November.

3 Likes

The CDC has become a political football. They say whatever their told to. Remember the 6 ft. social distancing guideline? Now the CDC says it probably should be 26 ft. No wonder people believe the whole thing is a hoax. The virus is here folks and you had better do what you can to keep it under control. My little state of ND has been climbing like crazy lately with cases of the virus. Why? Because unfortunately many people just don’t give a shit and can’t be bothered with any PPE. I firmly believe that these people that go to events should have to sign a form stating they bypass their rights to treatment so that those of us who take this seriously can take their bed if we catch it from them. Boy would I and my wife love to go to Universal and Disney World, but you know what, we don’t to protect ourselves and others. Does that piss you off hearing that out here. Too bad but hey just go about your life’s as if the Covid Virus doesn’t exist.

1 Like

Ok, I’m officially out on this one. :woman_facepalming:

4 Likes