Bob Chapek on CNBC - WDW to remain at 25% capacity

I still think it is smart the way they are doing it. Let others make the mistakes and face the consequences.

1 Like

So I will post this.

Seeing that here in mid-Oct daily infection numbers are near 60K (above the spring and summer peaks) and its not even winter, and new European numbers peaking very substantially (and not just infections but positivity, and hospital admittances) I am thinking/wondering if WDW can stay open. Or the feeling of Its OK, Disney is Keeping It Safe – whether that is not going to hold.

Sorry, please forgive me. I want to go in December. I am beginning to wonder

3 Likes

Thank you! Happy to be here and glad to be able to contribute!

1 Like

I think that there is no going back for them now. If they were to close again, it could very well be the end of WDW. They are going to stay open as long as people are still willing to come.

I don’t know where you are located, but I dont think that the whole country is going to surge again. It’s going to be pockets all over, off and on through spring 2021, or a vaccine releases. Some states were hit so hard at the beginning that unless reinfection rates were much higher than we’ve seen, there won’t be enough people left to infect for a second massive surge.

3 Likes

i wish to Believe

Majority of states have rising numbers. i’m not arguing. i don’t want this. watching, hoping its wrong

and Thank you for reassuring thoughts. I want both reassurance and thinking hard

2 Likes

I think some people think Disney is too big to fail. This is not true, just not true. I want a future with WDW.!!

1 Like

I think Louisiana is here. Our officials were worried about Memorial Day (we had a small spike), then 4th of July, then Labor Day. The later 2 did not produce spikes. Mardi Gras was out catalyst, IMO. And I dont see a real spike happening in the future. We will see after Christmas, maybe a small one but I dont think we will see the spikes we did in spring.

I’ve seen two news pieces on the military running 300 tests on aircraft to track and trace air particles… it’s pretty damn safe to fly w/ masks and their new filtration systems. The systems clear the air 99.9% w/in 6 min.

3 Likes

It is no where near 50% right now.

Parks don’t ever operate at 100% of capacity, except maybe occasionally at MK on NYE. In other words when phased closing happens.

Usual attendance is around 60-70%, and that would seem really busy to many people.

It’s the reduced capacity everywhere that is contributing to the feel of it having increased. The ride capacity on every single ride; no shows or meet & greets; less than half of dining options open and then reduced capacity at those that are open. So everyone is in lines most of the time instead of being busy elsewhere for part of it.

Also at the beginning no park was hitting it’s target of 20% capacity. More recently numbers attending have increased but still only DHS is reaching it’s target capacity. But that is still only around 30% at most. It’s capacity has been increased a little. But with only the Frozen show set to open the park will seem horrendously busy.

3 Likes

Gotta take issue with the “mis-treating DVC members” there.

They did not mistreat members in any way. They came up with a creative way to try and help members whose points expired but still stay within timeshare laws. They extended the life of some points by up to 6 months and gave developer points to those whose points were already expired.

Sure there is now a glut of points but many timeshare owners were SOL if their resort was closed during their traditional timeshare week. At least we have a chance of using our points.

The only valid complaint might be the decision to close the resorts in the first place. Some argue that they were never compelled to do so by the Florida restrictions and should have remained open. That would probably have resulted in a greater number of upset owners than happy ones though, and likely led to much higher annual dues.

2 Likes

Fair enough. I’m not a DVC member. I’m just going off what other DVC members have shared with me about how they felt they were treated. A huge part seems to be the communications (or perceived lack thereof).

This makes sense. When we went to HS in January it felt really busy in the mornings when none of the shows were open. By 11 or so it didn’t feel so busy because there was more open to absorb all the guests. End of day was great because everyone had cleared out.

Oh the communication hasn’t been great. But then it never is.

However they were trying to come up with a solution whilst the vast majority of the DVC teams were on furlough, so I think genuinely the Member Services CMs who were still working knew nothing at all until, it was announced.

I don’t think DVC were any worse, communication wise, than the rest of the organisation. And some of the complaints were about the APs and refunds etc, which was out of the hands of DVC entirely.

Very good points in this post, totally agree.

I think probably Disney’s biggest bang for their buck is to get more people staying at their hotels IMHO. Yes, it would add cost because the hotels would need to be opened and staff, but people would be putting more money into Disney if they stay at one of their resorts. But, In order to get people to stay at them, they need to offer the incentives to get them there, and that would mean adding magic hours, maybe think about doing FP or something similar that would only be accessible to RESORT guests, or bringing back an after hours ticket.
I would think that a good amount of us would pay for an after hours ticket to the park to avoid the crowds/ride more rides. But I also realize this would include some up front costs on Disney’s end.

Agreed. They’ve removed a lot of the incentives to stay on property. I can’t visit because of travel restrictions still, but I don’t even want to visit right now with reduced offerings and crowds. I have no desire to wait 60+ minutes for rides. All of that said, if they had ticketed events or magic hours where I knew I would get 2-4 hours of lower wait times I would consider it staying on property for a week or so. I wouldn’t do any normal park days. I would enjoy the resort during the day (maybe get some work and school done) and do the ticketed events to get my fill of the parks. It seems like it wouldn’t be too difficult to fit in ticketed events with the strange park hours for some parks. For example, if Epcot doesn’t open until 11 they could do an event 9-11 with only Future World open. I understand it would take more staff, but they could easily make it a ticketed event to cover the costs.

I think that even if they limited such even to only the high priority rides, they could probably make it work financially for sure, but I would think that maybe it would be only be feasible at one or two parks, such as HS/MK.

1 Like

I think if they could do this alone, people would come. The lines are intimidating. People want to know they can at least accomplish some favs with out a 30+ wait. And really, the people going to Disney right now are somewhat seasoned and are used to a certain experience.

1 Like

They would have to make it worth it to be a resort guest though, only offering to guests staying at a Disney resort. They would have to figure out how to free up those FP queues though. My other suggestion (not sure if even possible) would be to have people tap out when they leave parks. Then once they are tapped out of the park, be able to reserve another park pass at another park (if available) to allow for hopping. This would probably entail a little effort, but park hopping could be back!

I will point out that doing FP for resort guests only would make the lines that much longer for everyone else. It sounds like they’re pretty long right now as it is. I’m not sure that those staying offsite would feel like that was fair, since in the past at least they had a chance at some FP so they benefitted at least a bit from the FP system. I’m betting that WDW doesn’t want to alienate the non-resort guests in that way. Totally a guess, though!