Bob Chapek on CNBC - WDW to remain at 25% capacity

Yes they could. I think they’re going with what the available data is telling them. A recent poll says 65% of U.S. adults are worried about themselves or family members getting covid. I’m guessing the subset of adults that go to WDW comes in at higher than 65% on that question. They will cater to the majority of their clientele. The minority like you and I are left playing by those rules.

1 Like

Sure. So maybe opening up dining to more than 25% is a great way to go. Those not ready for eating inside would self select, but plenty would and the ride lines go down.

Seems to involve less work to just expand dining and shopping than integrate the whole ride-reservation-system and/or trying to help people anticipate and time for cleaning cycles.

Just a fast way to correct the crowds.

2 Likes

But the MOST concerned wouldn’t even travel.
The somewhat concerned may be able to handle 50% or 66% or 75%…

1 Like

FIFY

4 Likes

A lot of people feel this way

https://www.fastcompany.com/90545468/indoor-vs-outdoor-dining-in-the-covid-era-what-restaurant-patrons-say-theyre-comfortable-with

That’s probably true. I’m not sure this train of thought happens with WDW management. It seems the policies are skewed to accommodate the most concerned, which might be the right answer, or it might not be.

1 Like

The other option that would help alleviate crowds without losing safety is to open more restaurants and shops and keep them at whatever the current capacity is.
It seems that if you watch videos of the parks, people are practically begging Disney to take their money.

4 Likes

If they just opened one more restaurant in MK, say Crystal Palace as a family style meal (with or without characters) it would go a long way towards relieving congestion. Especially since CP is very large, so they could accommodate a lot of people without sacrificing social distancing.

9 Likes

Good points. This wouldn’t seem hard to do.

2 Likes

And that would employ more kitchen employees.

3 Likes

I am in this category. Im ok with a higher capacity in Disney restaurants as long as a) tables are adequately spaced and b) their are ample outdoor or open air options for those that choose not to eat indoors at restaurants

4 Likes

I’d be super curious how much data they have on crowd attitudes. I’ll bet a lot.

If opening the restaurant capacity up to a higher percentage actually decreases the number of people willing to eat there, I’m not sure there’s much point? How hard is it to get a reservation at current capacity? Are they all maxing out?

Additional restaurants totally makes more sense if they are maxing out reservations at current TS. Or are the long lines at QS because people don’t want to dine inside, which means adding more TS wouldn’t help?

Also, didn’t the re-open plan have to be approved by both the county(?) and the union? Would they need to approve any changes?

I am one of those. We aren’t eating indoors unless it’s that big building where some of the festival booths are.

1 Like

It would really love to know the current capacity allowed at the restaurants. Are they the same as the parks or higher? I think the distancing is the bigger issue. Some resturants are set up better than others, meaning less tables would have to be off limits. Hmmmmm

Very vaild points. I dont there it is a blanket number for capacity at the resturants. They seem to follow the CDC guidelines pretty closely. They have also mentioned that they would continue to follow CDC guidlines moving forward. I think as long as the tables are spread 6 ft apart capacity will be dictated by how many tables they can use in each resturant with social distances in place.

2 Likes

Just watched Prince Charming’s video from yesterday at MK. It was at max capacity (as in, no more park reservations available). Lines were outrageous, as he pointed out. And I get that. But what I was flabbergasted about was that even with a completely full park, they kept the newly opened Spring Roll cart and Lunching Pad closed (and who knows what else). They are apparently only open weekends. Which is a crazy stupid rule if they are at max capacity in either case. This means lines will actually be worse during weekdays over weekends.

This is an epic failure on Disney’s part. They need to open as much as possible when they are maxed out. Why selectively open them like that with identical crowd levels?

1 Like

People are reporting having double getting some ADRs around the forum… is that what you mean?

the problem I think lies in that in general, restaurants don’t really make a lot of money . Most of it is made in alcohol sales. So the cost of food, staff, and cleaning might not really be worth it.

2 Likes

The only restaurants I’ve eaten at in the past 6 months were when I was at Disney, and I wouldn’t if they were at full capacity for sure!!

1 Like

Same.