Bob Chapek on CNBC - WDW to remain at 25% capacity

That’s a valid point.

Of course, normally, September and October, for example, would have very low crowds and wait times. This year it seems like it is the opposite! But it makes sense, ultimately. They might ultimately have the same number of people in the parks for September…but with shortened hours, fewer places to eat, and reduced ride and shopping capacity, it will just make everything seem worse.

In a way, it actually DOES make everything worse, and not just seem worse. But what is Disney supposed to do? They have to turn a profit (or in the very least break even) somehow! :confused:

2 Likes

They need to turn a profit for two parks (WDW and DL) with just one park (WDW) while limiting capacity. It is not an enviable situation.

2 Likes

Agreed, they do have to at least break even. My main complaints are that they are playing fast and loose with information and ergo, people’s trust, and that if they want peoples money, they need to give them at least a few more things to spend it on. This situation is driving people to eat off property, or buy in room groceries.

1 Like

I think that the general public’s understanding of ALL the capacity restrictions everywhere in life has been fire code/maximum capacity. I don’t think restaurants or stores are operating at X% of average capacity.

5 Likes

The definition of capacity from Webster’s is the maximum amount or number that can be contained or accommodated.

So Normal capacity and maximum capacity are the same thing.

2 Likes

Yeah. My wife and I were talking about this…the fact that with shortened hours, but with everything other than Disney Springs closed down, what are on-site guests expected to DO with that time? Pretty much you stay in your room or go to the pool (more or less)…which then forces THOSE things to also become crowded. We even saw this happening in August at Pop. After the parks closed, the pool would become so crowded, they had a line of people waiting for their turn to get in…and the pool itself was so crowded that you couldn’t even really swim. Just kind of splash around in place.

1 Like

To me, capacity means capacity. It shouldn’t change depending on the time of year. Thanks for the clarification.

2 Likes

I don’t mind them allowing more crowds, they do need to make some money or at least stop losing. But they need a paid option (or even free) to skip the lines. :rofl: And not a tour at 3-4K per day.

2 Likes

They could open restaurants to 100% capacity and alleviate a tremendous amount of backlog.

It could do a brilliant job of absorbing the crowds. Alternatively, it could scare some people away (but those that are already going to a theme park must have a somewhat higher threshold of risk than those not going at all) and that would also alleviate crowds. While the latter could briefly drop attendance, reports of lower crowds and shorter waits could bump back that enthusiasm from the first reporting of low crowds.

With the holidays coming they really need to consider how to both welcome and accommodate late her crowds.

2 Likes

Uh. No. :slight_smile:

We would cancel all our TS ADRs if they did that.

9 Likes

That would require the elimination of social distancing.

5 Likes

Is there any room to add TS seating capacity vs what they’re doing now while still maintaining social distancing? If there is, that would seem like the logical answer to get more people out of the walkways and queues while not scaring off all of those who would be afraid without distancing.

1 Like

I thought Florida was allowing restaurants and bars to reopen to 100%? Did it change again? I admit it’s all becoming noise anymore as I can not keep up.

1 Like

Florida is allowing it, yes. That doesn’t mean it is a good idea.

8 Likes

Yes, but WDW can do their own thing.

5 Likes

100% would mean they couldn’t social distance seated parties. I wonder what they are at now? I could see the resturants easily being able to accommodate 50 - 60% and keep social distancing measures. But more places need to open, shows need to be brought back, even if at 50% capacity. They need to move the crowds around somehow. I wish we could look at historical data and see what the average capacity was per a given day. Then we can start really comparing the “feels like” from a past trip with full park offerings vs the current limited park offerings.

1 Like

Ok. So they COULD if they wanted to.
I’m just suggesting it could be a very easy way to absorb crowds.

Yes, some people may be unhappy, but others would be happy.
Lines could go down. More people would return to work.

1 Like

This might drive guests to consider suite/villa accommodations more over regular hotel rooms. And with the use of DVC resorts at this time, and other hotel resorts closed now, many guests are getting that experience. I am very much not interested in hanging out in my hotel room after hours, but if I have a villa where I can lounge in a common area or a larger patio/lanai, and maybe have a full meal in a kitching/dining area, I am probably a little bit less bothered by early closures.

Hmm… Hmm… is there a method to the madness???

3 Likes

Agreed. Many people would. Many of us are still not comfortable dining indoors.

3 Likes