Big problem with David's Vacation & Owner

I got same email. I had the trip insurance so canceled when my owner couldn’t reschedule due to expiring points, but forfeited $4 per point under the contract. Per the email looks like I will get that money in a credit.

We literally were just able to rebook our points last week from early July. Not an ideal time for us or an ideal resort, but the option was either that or be out of a lot of money. I emailed our TA at DVC rental inquiring if we were eligible and she said she would have to check with Management and get back to us. Still haven’t heard anything. I know all the risks, etc etc, but it doesn’t seem fair to give refunds/credits to some but not all impacted customers.

1 Like

I’m wondering how this is going to work since I cancelled my May reservation last week and took the 600.00 refund that was offered as the points I rented expire 5/31. I hope I’m still eligible, I emailed my agent but she just responded that I will get an email from someone in the credit department and if I have questions to just respond to that email when it comes. I’ll post here when I get the email. Who knows…but at least they are trying.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing all. Glad to hear that they are working on something that may help out renters (and owners at least indirectly). In the long run, I think this is probably the right business decision as well.

1 Like

Any insight on how you were able to get a refund for points that were going to expire? Maybe it depends on the member you rented from, our rented points expire July 31, but I was told “too bad” and that we could either let the member try to re-rent to someone else (to potentially get us a refund) or we could rebook.

Disney is not currently taking bookings before @schamberry’s renting Members points expire (5/31 expiration).

I rented points from DVC Rental Store for a trip May 19 - May 26, 2020. The renting members points expired later in the year (11/30/20). We were given the option to (1)pay in full and re-book or (2)let our final payment go cancelling the reservation. If we chose to not make the last payment, they would work with the owner to try and re-rent the points in which case we would get a full refund. No guarantees though on re-booking or re-renting.

We chose to pay in full and re-book as there was decent availability in August and we are able to go at that time (if the resorts are open). We needed to pick different resorts and room types and shorten our stay from 7 to 5 days in order to stay within a similar number of points. 2 nights BLT 1 bedroom + 5 nights BWV studio became 3 nights OKW 1 bedroom + 2 nights BWV 1 bedroom (we rented 6 extra points for the BWV 1 bedroom).

We were able to purchase points protection for these new reservations which we did given how uncertain the situation is.

1 Like

The 600.00 refund they offered was only the DVC rental stores commission. I paid them a total of 2900.00 for my 7 night stay at the poly.

1 Like

Interesting, thank you for sharing! Similar options as to what we were given. Did you have to ask about the Points Protection Plan or did they reoffer it to you when you made your new reservation? I would definitely be interested in it this go around for the July trip that we used our April points. Although I guess if the parks were to still be closed, they would just extend their refund process to those dates as well…? (I would hope). All of the uncertainty and risk is starting to get to me :pensive:

The Points Protection Plan was offered when we re-booked. I didn’t even realize it was an option until the new reservations were secured. I’m not sure if it was an option only because we purchased more points. However, we only purchased more points for one of our 2 reservations. Further complicating things, the reservation that required more points uses the original reservation number. The reservation that did not require more points has a new reservation number.

We had new contracts for both reservations (but I think all re-booked reservations would need new contracts?, the dates of the stay are in the contract along with the room type and resort and number of points). You must elect and pay for point protection when your reservation is secured. I think you needed to elect and pay for PPP when your July reservation was secured. If it wasn’t offered to you, you could ask.

I know people go to WDW for the parks, but the rental points are only for accommodations. If the parks are closed and the hotels are opened, I would not expect to get any refund (unless we cancel with PPP in which case the refund will be according to the time we cancel).

1 Like

Just got my email from David’s, this is such a great thing they are doing. I will receive a full credit for a future rental from my April 2nd trip that didn’t happen. Here is what they sent, at the bottom was a link to accept the terms and they will be forwarding a credit code within 7 days.

Thank you for your patience in waiting for our communications.

Below are the Terms and Conditions for the David’s Vacation Club Rentals Travel Credit. Once you’ve had the opportunity to review the information, we look forward to receiving your response and would ask that you please indicate your reply by clicking on a button below.

Terms & Conditions

1. The Credit will be for the entire value of the original booking, less any compensation already received, and the Credit can only be applied to one subsequent booking. If the value of the Credit exceeds the value of the subsequent booking, the remaining differential in value will not be refunded, nor will it be available for extra’s or add-on’s such as dining plans or park tickets. If the value of the subsequent booking exceeds the value of the Credit, the guest will be responsible for paying the difference.
  2. You may not assign or transfer the Credit or any rights, interests or obligations hereunder. You may not combine this Credit with any other credit or promotional offer.
  3. Any Reservation booked using the Credit is FINAL SALE – NO EXCEPTIONS. This includes, but is not limited to, date modification, resale and changes to the Guest names used for the original booking.
  4. Credit has no cash value.
  5. The Travel Credit will not be reissued if it is lost or stolen. Keep this information in a safe location.
  6. Credit is available for use up to 24 months after the date of issue. Credit must be used within 24 months.
  7. Credit can be used for any service offered by David’s Vacation Club Rentals including but not limited to Point Rentals, Cash Bookings at Disney owned resorts, Cruise Bookings or Adventure by Disney bookings.
  8. Credits cannot be applied to Park Tickets, Dining Plans, or insurance plans.
  9. In the case of Point Rentals, upon requesting a reservation with your credit code, you will be asked to authorize a new deposit. Once the code has been confirmed, your deposit will be refunded and the reservation process will continue.
  10. In the event of a global pandemic, natural disaster, force Majeure or any other event outside the reasonable control of David’s Vacation Club Rentals, this Credit remains non-refundable and no modification, cancelations or rebooking will be permitted.
  11. David’s Vacation Club Rentals does not guarantee the availability of services. The Credit is subject to availability of the selected product at time of booking.
  12. No terms and conditions, other than those stated herein, and no agreement or understanding, oral or written, in any way purporting to modify these Terms and Conditions shall be binding.
  13. These terms and conditions shall be governed by, and interpreted in accordance with, the laws of the Province of Ontario and the laws of Canada applicable therein.
  14. David’s Vacation Club Rentals reserves the right to change, add, modify, or eliminate any element of the Credit or any type of service or activity currently available with the Credit.
  15. Credit represents full and final satisfaction of any and all obligations set out in the original Rental Agreement and David’s Vacation Club Rentals is released from any further rights, obligations or performance of the original Rental Agreement.
2 Likes

That’s great news! I am going to have to reschedule mine for far enough in the future to make sure it doesn’t get disrupted a second time. Looks like they are adding clauses (like paragraph 11) to prevent the credit from being carried forward again if the pandemic continues.

As far as I am concerned I an ok with the clauses. I am happy for what they are doing. I am looking to use mine for late 2021 or early 2022.

2 Likes

That’s great! I’m still waiting for an email with my credit from DVC rental store. Anyone get one yet from them?

1 Like

I’m still waiting to hear back from my TA…still waiting on verdict given our situation I talked about earlier too. If I haven’t heard anything by midweek, I’ll probably reach out and see if she’s heard anything.

That’s a good idea. I still haven’t heard anything yet and I never got the 600 refund, wondering if I’m just going to get the credit instead.

1 Like

Reached out to my TA at DVCRS again, and finally received the credit email.

2 Likes

Thanks for letting me know. I haven’t heard anything yet. My check in date was suppose to be May 9. I actually emailed my travel advisor yesterday and she responded in bold, capital letters that travel advisors have nothing to do with the issuing of credits and that I have to wait for the email from the credit department. I found it a little rude. I don’t think I’m being unreasonable in inquiring especially since I asked to reschedule a few weeks ago and was told it wasn’t possible since the points were expiring at the end of May…Well owners have had their points returned now from what I’ve read. I hope those owners would return the money to DVC rental store or at least offer to reschedule now that they have their points back. But I can’t get any answers.

Well, I received my credit this afternoon. Still think communication could have been improved. But I am happy with the outcome.

4 Likes

Are DVC owners allowed to cancel reservations that start in June?

That depends what you mean exactly. An owner can cancel at any time, but I suspect there is more to your question.

A cancellation will return the points to an owner. The crucial part is whether the owner can still use those points or whether they are expired. They could have already expired or expire at the end of June, July etc.

If you mean will they get their points back and get an extension on any points which would otherwise expire by the end of May, then that only applies to a reservation during the closure period of the resorts. At the moment that is until the 23rd May.

I bolded the part about the resorts, because it is expected that at least the DVC resorts will open before the parks, to minimise the impact on the points system. Although that is still speculation.

And once the resorts are open, any DVC bookings will then be considered as “viable” so they almost certainly will not extend the “shelf life” of those points.

2 Likes