Big problem with David's Vacation & Owner

My resort stay was supposed to start on Sunday, March 15 at Boardwalk (2 bedroom, preferred view).

My points are rented thru David’s Vacation. I do not have travel insurance.

David’s reached out to the owner and the owner is unwilling to help. He states that he is going on a cruise and doesn’t have time to call member services. Sorry.

David’s says there is nothing they can do.

From my understanding, Disney is automatically refunding all of the DVC members points due to cancellation and closure.

What can I do?

That’s ridiculous! That owner is a jerk!

I think the only thing you can do is to put pressure on David’s to put pressure on the owner. David’s should be contacting the owner and insisting they get their points refunded, and then refunding you, or they will not longer serve as a third party agent for the owner again.

8 Likes

I’m so sorry that the owner is being so greedy and unhelpful. I may possibly be in the same situation. I reached out to David’s today asking them to contact the owner about rescheduling our stay. I kind of assumed from the beginning of this that the DVC rental would be a loss, but after reading so many reports that DVC is working with owners to refund points without penalty I’ve gotten my hopes up. It does seem as though it is all at the owners discretion. I would hope these rental companies like David’s seriously consider banning any owner who doesn’t try to make it right for a renter.

2 Likes

That’s too bad the owner won’t try to help.

However it’s important to realise that not every owner will actually be able to use their points. They may well expire in a month or two, so even getting them back won’t be of any use.

I have a renter checking in tomorrow and have contacted David’s saying I am happy to cancel. Thing is though they are swamped and I’m not sure what will happen to my points if I cancel after the check-in date. I can’t cancel, as the renter may want to go, it’s a 3 night stay. All I can do now is wait and check my emails.

2 Likes

Is there a way for DVC to extend expiration dates?

2 Likes

I understand that but from what I have heard, Disney is working with all owners on this. I am willing to reschedule so he doesn’t have to lose the money.

But the owner was too busy to even contact DVC .

I also have a deluxe meal plan tied up in this.

You can only reschedule if the points will still be valid at the new date.

DVC are waiving the “holding” process, whereby if you cancel within 30 days of check-in date then you can only use the points to book a new stay less than 60 days ahead.

Instead they are letting people use those points up until their expiration date. But you can only do that once. If the reservation is booked using banked points they will expire.

They may allow people to “bank” their points later than the rules specify (which is 4 months before they expire).

Legally I don’t think they can extend the expiration date of the points. That is due to Timeshare laws.

So I think DVC is doing everything they can, but many people will lose points.

I know in your case we don’t know if the owner falls into any of these categories. But right now people are reporting having tried phoning since 9am this morning. If he does fall into a complex category, he would have to call.

3 Likes

Wait, the owner is going on a cruise??

15 Likes

I know it is hard with money on the line, but I would be hopeful that if the owner really does have a cruise, he is rightfully unable to assist now but will call when he gets back, and hopefully Disney will be accommodating in refunding the points given the extenuating circumstances. Don’t give up hope yet.

3 Likes

I’ve seen reports that legally, according to timeshare laws, they can’t extend the expiration date. They can allow “banking” past the normal point, but you can only do that once. If points are already banked, they will expire.

I do know some who are cancelling and although their points are getting put back, they can only book in the next 6 weeks. So effectively those points are lost. It’s a risk of booking a stay right before points expire.

1 Like

Ask for the information required to sue and sue the owner.

2 Likes

I will give the example of my April DVC booking (I am an owner). I booked an April stay with a combo of points that will expire on July 31st) missed my banking date because I had the booking 9 months ago, and points booked from next year. What would usually happen if I cancel in 30 days is that all points would need to be booked in 60 days (no availability). What DVC is offering is to put borrowed points back and to allow the other points to go into regular use. I would have about 90 days I could book instead of 60. It helps a little but most likely I am losing most of my points.

I used DVC rental to book for someone in June. Those are points that expire July 31st. I would be will to help and refund what I could money wise. In reality, I claimed what I was paid on my taxes. I would seriously consider refunding after deducting that payment and the points I borrowed for that reservation ($14 a point). I don’t know how much would be left after that (not full payment).

4 Likes

Hopefully, Disney will refund meal plans. I would think this would be straightforward unlike the point system. However, I’m not sure if there is a difference is between booking the meal plan through DVC.

1 Like

The official DVC statement regarding COVID-19 travel impacts
https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/travel-information/

The most relevant text:

All Disney Vacation Club resorts at Walt Disney World, as well as Aulani, Vero Beach and Hilton Head, remain open and are accepting reservations. The Villas at Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel will remain open until Monday, March 16 to give guests the ability to make necessary travel arrangements, but will then close till the end of the month.

The hotels at both Walt Disney World and Disneyland Paris will remain open until further notice. The retail and dining complexes, Disney Springs at Walt Disney World, Disney Village at Disneyland Paris and Downtown Disney At Disneyland will remain open.

Below, you’ll find information on impacts to current and upcoming plans. Please continue to check this page for additional updates. Given the higher-than-normal call volume at our Contact Center, we ask that Members who do not have a reservation with an arrival in the next 2 weeks wait to contact us. Any Member that would like to book a new Disney Vacation Club Resort reservation or modify an existing reservation may do so through the Member Online Booking Tool…

RESORTS

I have a future stay at a Disney Vacation Club Resort at Walt Disney World while the park is closed. What does that mean for my vacation?
All Disney Vacation Club resorts at Walt Disney World, as well as Aulani, Vero Beach and Hilton Head, remain open and all reservations are still active. Should you choose to cancel your reservation, your vacation points will not be placed in a holding account and will be returned to their current Use Year. This exception also applies for Members cancelling via the Member Online Booking Tool.

Now I know why I am so glad I did not become a DVC member. I am also glad that I do not use Dave’s as well. Thought about it many times but after what I have heard out here on them taking responsibility to contact owners, I believe I will stay away from them as well now and in the future.

5 Likes

I think David’s are doing everything they can.

2 Likes

I’m not a DVC owner, but have rented in the past. So admittedly I do not understand what the owner’s risks are when renting. But when I read posts like this about owners like this I am becoming more and more reluctant to “rent” DVC points … way too much risk for the perceived savings. Based on what I’m reading on the mouseowner’s web site, this owner aint alone, which is sad.

2 Likes

Pretty sure you should be able tp re-file with the adjusted income and get the tax payment refunded.

Not trying to tell you what to do or anything, just suggesting so that if anyone had to be out money it could be the IRS. :grin:

2 Likes

That is interesting. The renter is not at risk now and I can always go to AKL in June if they don’t want the reservation. That would increase their refund from me. I would have no control over what DVCrental would do.

1 Like

DVC Rental Store too.