Beauty & the Beast - Overdone?

I love the GF, and we have a little who calls it Cinderella’s hotel. I have very mixed feelings about the new bar area. We are feeling in Magic Kingdom that there is so much Beauty and the Beast, then the longtime show at HS, the new sing along film at the France Pavillion. Beauty and the Beast got so much of the real estate in new fantasy land which after all the other princess projects and the fairy area stopped construction, Belle remained with a huge footprint. Now a bar and a shop are getting a Belle concept as well. We like Artist Pointe as a character meal and thought it was so creative, but also because there is Mine Train, but Snow White, the original princess, is more rare AND they took away her long time ride.

3 Likes

yyyyeah I gotta agree. Another B&B setup is a bit overkill.

Since this will be a bar/lounge…I feel this would be the perfect application for a Snugly Duckling restaurant. Though SD would be more of a rustic/dive bar feel where as this looks to be “high class.” So maybe something else with that vibe?

3 Likes

I just think it’s weird to theme a bar, which you would think should be basically aimed at adults, as a children’s film. Does your average 50 year old want to drink in a princess themed establishment?

6 Likes

Don’t get me wrong, our family has really enjoyed the Beauty and Beast restaurant, Gaston’s, meeting Gaston and Enchanted Tales with Belle, but we would love similar offerings for more of the princesses and their stories.

There really is a lot of BatB stuff :joy: I would like to see more Rapunzel themed stuff, but not a bar at a deluxe resort.

5 Likes

I remember thinking of GF as Cinderella’s hotel when I was a little girl too. I’m surprised that with the princess promenade and the dinner with Cinderella that they didn’t go that route. Surely there would be some sort of interesting and beautiful concept to execute around the clock and her midnight curfew.

2 Likes

Agree!! It’s Cinderella’s hotel! Still think that when I see it… so the brlle theme seems weird to me.

2 Likes

I think it’s an absolute crime that they are removing Mizner’s and replacing it with a BatB themed bar. Now I don’t expect it to be dripping with cartoon images and CMs; it sounds like it will retain a more “formal” look with “echoes” of different rooms from BatB. But the Mizner theme was so perfect for the location, which is supposed to reflect a seaside resort in FL’s “golden age”. That was also the era that the Mizner brothers essentially created the real estate boom that led to the creation of places like Palm Beach and Boca Raton (of course they were also shysters who later caused the bottom to drop out of the market - but that’s a different story). I understand that a resort the size of the GF needed a larger bar, and the fact that Mizner’s hasn’t had a major refurb since it opened - but they could have retained the theme and just enlarged it…

5 Likes

On a tangential note, I personally think the Beast that WDW uses just looks really bizarre and horribly out-dated. I prefer the new BATB movie (the Emma Watson one) and the beast from that is more current.

Compare . . .

and contrast . . .

1 Like

This is the Beast that we met at BOG in 2016.

It’s a different one now and I did read it was supposed to look more like the live action one…but it doesn’t. Not to me anyway. I saw it described as a sad wildebeest. Anyway I like the one we met.

Oh here it is. It’s awful!

2 Likes

I just find it impossible to suspend disbelief with Beast presented in that way. He looks ridiculous. It’s the incongruity. You can’t be Beast and be a blown-up plushie. It simply doesn’t work.

2 Likes

You have to admit the top pic is better though right?

Oh yes. For sure. The second one looks completely unthreatening and rather clueless.

2 Likes

Yes, more Rapunzel. Not a bathroom.

4 Likes

Yes exactly! It’s a very pretty bathroom but still.

2 Likes

Still trying to figure out how I’m going to explain to DD4 that Rapunzel’s tower Is a bathroom.

7 Likes

Easy: it’s behind the bathroom, not the actual bathroom itself (this is both true and avoids it being disgusting) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes. I wish they would still do the originally planned New Fantasyland projects as well. Wondering if Imagineers wanted that bar to be added to France pavillion or replace something, and it got moved to GF instead…

1 Like

The concept art looks fairly abstract, I think the theming is not going to be very obvious.

Having said that, it doesn’t make any sense to me, either. BATB took place in France. The GF is an ersatz Hotel Del Coronado which is a 120 y.o. Victorian five-star resort in San Diego. A beach theme or even English theme would be much better.

Maybe they’ll feature Cogsworth? :thinking:

3 Likes

I’ve been to the “Hotel Del” in San Diego many times (actually, my engagement dinner was there). I’ve always found it to be incongruent that it’s supposed to be a Floridian resort…

2 Likes