Beauty & the Beast - Overdone?

lol. The Del was first. :wink:
We were too poor when we got married so we had our reception in Balboa Park, in the Loggia, but we vowed to go back and have stayed at the Del many times since.

I’d have thought they would have patterned the GF on The Breakers, at least that’s in Florida. Though not nearly as pretty as the Del they are of the same vintage. Really, a Little Mermaid or Mary Poppins theme would be more appropriate than BATB but this is Disney- they’re not that big on historical (or any other kind of) accuracy anyway.

I was thinking 101 Dalmatians or Aristocats theme, not as big ticket I know but would lend to the posh surroundings (also maybe because my daughter likes both). Don’t get me wrong, the library in Beauty and the Beast is probably my favorite room of all Disney movies (if that’s a thing to keep track of), but unless the “subtle theming” is a library theme, I agree that there is a thing as too much BatB.

3 Likes

That’s a good point- he ballroom in BATB really is beautiful- it’s one of the only “shots” I can recall where the focus is the actual room itself, the way they sweep up to the ceiling from the dancers, it’s a very memorable scene. The entire castle- library, west wing, the grounds- are featured in this story. Artistically it makes a great deal of sense, though I agree with you that thematically there are better options.

Also, my DD24 loves the Aristocats, too. She has a bit of Marie in her. :wink:

3 Likes

The Riviera has Aristocats artwork in the villas. :heart:

2 Likes

That’s a great description of the new one! :joy::joy:

1 Like

I can’t take credit for it!

I’m suprised Moana hasn’t gotten more love. Even in the Polynesian, there isn’t a huge presence. I was under the impression the Moana was a prettt big deal, movie wise (plus I personally loved it, so Disney should cater to my individual taste.)

3 Likes

Yeah, I think it’d be a better fit at Riviera maybe instead of GF

That said, I’m obviously biased towards anything BATB, and don’t mind that something is being directed towards my generation who grew up with it (instead of squarely aimed at a younger set).

ZOMG a reasoned statement drawing a logical conclusion? In a Disney forum! UNPOSSIBLE!

I’ve spent more time in Mizner’s than probably the rest of Touring Plans put together, and the theme was never a reason. After dark, the lighting was an odd mix of murky and glaring, the decor was Victorian filtered through an early '80s atrium hotel, and it was neither so secluded to be intimate nor open enough to be a lobby bar. I think the Beast references in the new place will be limited to the name and maybe a few Easter egg items on the walls and shelves.

3 Likes

I think it looks like a cool bar but I do not get how it fits into that hotel. Looks more modern like the Riviera. I agree on that.

I need to find this place.

DD14 is named Marie. Her two older brothers thought she WAS named after the cat…

4 Likes