Aulani bound... anyone else going soon or been? Tips and important details due to, you know, covid ;)

I also plan to get a popcorn bucket this trip. I do love popcorn, and refills are free for DVC, so yay.

2 Likes

:joy::joy:

5 Likes

Thanks, I’ll look into the bus. But I’m seriously thinking about renting from the airport for the week and paying for parking. If I add up the cost of the shuttle from and to the airport, renting a car for 3 days at the Aulani, and the parking fees, it’s about $150 more to rent a car the whole week. Having a car continually gives us lots of flexibility, control, and a savings in time. And to be honest, having a car is our ticket to freedom!

3 Likes

Does anyone know the pros and cons of the 1 Bedroom Villas (which are DVC, but can also be booked through the hotel if available) and the 1 Bedroom Suites?

I am planning a Hawaii trip for our 10 year anniversary. We will be traveling with our 2 kids.

1 Like

I considered booking excursions instead of renting a car, but it was going to be like $1200 for the excursions we wanted vs. $700 to rent a car. So I think we’ll stick with the rental car.

4 Likes

Ok tell me where y’all are looking at car rentals? We’re going to be there for 10 days and can’t find anything under $1700.

4 Likes

I used autoslash. But it was a couple of months ago and I might have gotten lucky with timing. Also, my reservation was through Priceline and I got Hertz. I have heard rumblings of Hertz reneging on previously negotiated discounts (specifically through Mousesavers). I’m worried my rate will be affected, but crossing my fingers that it will hold.

2 Likes

That could be. We had to have our test done just before our trip.

1 Like

Excellent reminder–popcorn bucket refills are free for DVC. So worth it!!

1 Like

Having a car was great. I couldn’t imagine doing the trip without one. I wasn’t excited about the cost, but we were able to see so much of the island with the car.

3 Likes

I read that somewhere on the webpage. Thanks for the reminder @Trampslady_18966!!!

2 Likes

Having lived there before I can’t see spending 10 days there w/o a car either. DH wants to go snorkling in Hanauma Bay go hiking up Koko Crater, surf on North Shore, and we have to show DS Waikiki, Pearl Harbor, Dole Plantation. We also want to visit the places we lived before too in Wahiawa and Schofield Barracks. There are some beautiful Buddhist gardens to walk through in Wahiawa. We need a car. Is Tripler Army Hospital still pink?

4 Likes

My DH yes Hertz, and score one for September for $500. Previous to that he saw $900 for different dates

3 Likes

It is! My dad used to work there! We sheltered there during Hurricane Iniki in 1992. (My dad was stationed at Hickam AFB during a few of my elementary school years.) P.S. I had heard it was pink due to the coral used in the concrete.

2 Likes

There is a room comparison tool on the website, and the thing that caught my eye is that the suite has 1 1/2 baths, as compared to the villa with just one. The suite has a bit more square footage. That is about as far as I got looking on my phone. Eta, no washer dryer in the suite.

2 Likes

oh… I never heard that before :thinking: Interesting.

Cars: How can $79 a day total more than $130 a day??? What kind of crazy math are they using or maybe they are math illiterate?!?

2 Likes

Would you consider car sharing? A friend told us about Turo Car Rental at church yesterday.

Car rentals are pricey and hard to come by this summer.

My friend went to the Big Island in late June and her rental for a week was $2,000 for an intermediate car! :grimacing:

A month ago, I wanted to rent a minivan from the Orange County Airport in CA for a day to move DS. It was for a month later, this coming weekend. We normally rent through Costco. There wasn’t a single car, van, truck, or luxury car available for this weekend!

A month ago, I was also trying to get a new SUV rental for our September trip to Grand Teton, Yellowstone, and Glacier through Costco again. We wanted to rent in Jackson, WY. I couldn’t get an SUV for the 12 nights. I already had a reservation, which I made in March for the trip. But we are now arriving a day earlier and departing a day earlier. But I was able to get a car for a day. We will return to the airport to swap our cars and just return the car a day earlier.

When we were in WDW in 2019, I did try out Autoslash to rent a car here and there. Many people have had great success through Autoslash For me, it wasn’t necessary cheaper than Costco and it wasn’t that convenient of a pick up location. Through Costco, I was able to get a car for two separate single day rentals at the Car Care Center. The prices were either cheaper through Costco or about the same. And the Car Care Center is so much easier to access than some obscure off site locations.

I haven’t reserved my Oahu car rental for May 21, 2022 for 7 days yet. An Intermediate from the airport is $591. This includes taxes, fees, and the extra spouse driver.

2 Likes

I didn’t think about Costco, thanks. I reserved an intermediate car $1351 :grimacing:

2 Likes

Next May will be our 4th trip to Oahu and I have yet to hike this. I’m afraid of heights. Having to use the rail ties over the bridge… :scream: I would be frozen in fear and will need to be airlifted out! But after our 3rd trip, I read that I could cross the bridge by going next to it or under it. So, I think I will try it next May.

If you go on this hike, please share!

3 Likes

:tired_face::weary:

1 Like