Are DVC members dumping contracts?

So that strategy by DVC is clearly working as even with our very small sample size we have two people who opted to go direct over resale because of that.

Hmm…

2 Likes

This is an interesting thought that could FURTHER support the idea that people aren’t happy with the changes at Disney, and so fewer people are willing to buy.

Truth is, while I don’t regret buying our DVC resale last year…if it were NOW, instead of THEN, I probably would hold off buying because of all the uncertainty and changes.

1 Like

Same here. I’m still a pretty new member (2018) but I definitely would be holding back

That said, though, when we realized the money we are laying out for this next trip WITHOUT PAYING FOR LODGING, knowing what we paid per night for our first AKL-J stay in 2014 vs what it costs now, it still would probably have been appealing as we would have considered “how high will it go??”

1 Like

Someone on chat was complaining that one night at Poly is $850. If you plan on staying in a Disney Deluxe, it doesn’t take much to still make some DVC look good.

The only time I think of buying again is when I consider going to Aulani. I know a small contract with two years of points might be almost the same cost?

3 Likes

:thinking:

Are they doing this, too?? Is this some indirect marketing on their part?

1 Like

Honestly, it really wasn’t that long ago that the Labor Day weekend rate was $226 or less

2 Likes

I just can’t pay rack rate any more now that I’ve rented / owned points. If you’ve bought resale, you can basically get a Deluxe night for under $200. Or rented under $300. It’s just insane to me to pay 2-3x that for a cash room, or even to go Moderate.

3 Likes

I just did some quick math on how much it would’ve costed us last year to stay at OKW, BLT and BCV for the days we used points and it was well over $4000.
(And we banked about 40 points)

I say my 16K DVC resale investment so far has been worth it - considering we’re only one year into it!!

4 Likes

We bought initially because with a regular traveling party of 7, getting multiple rooms just didn’t make financial sense when compared to DVC. Our recent add-on is because I’m lucky if the now adult kids will share the same room, there’s no way they’re sharing a bed. We need either a 3 bedroom, or a 2 bd plus studio.

4 Likes

I know a couple people that have sold contracts recently. Friends that bought in around 2008-2010 and their kids are now older. With the high resale value they’ve sold for a profit and realizing that they really bought in for family trips and now want to take different vacations as a couple.

4 Likes

Here I am reviving old threads but Andy from DVC Resale Market was on Welcome Home podcast two weeks ago and did not hesitate to say that it has completely turned into a buyers market now with just the sheer volume. I would be willing to be that pricing follows shortly.

4 Likes

I actually looked the other day. It was ok- not great for me.Then I remembered I was buying any more points!

3 Likes

I’ve been watching too lately. Would like to snag a Poly contract. It does look like their are more and more contracts for sale day after day. Hoping to see the prices drop some before I buy and I still have to make personal decisions about what I actually want to purchase. But definately set on Poly, although I would like to end up in a few years with a few different contracts to different resorts. Poly is the only one I’m 100% sure of right now.

1 Like

I don’t need another annual dues fee.I don’t need another annual dues fee.I don’t need another annual dues fee.I don’t need another annual dues fee.I don’t need another annual dues fee.I don’t need another annual dues fee.I don’t need another annual dues fee.I don’t need another annual dues fee.I don’t need another annual dues fee.I don’t need another annual dues fee.I don’t need another annual dues fee.I don’t need another annual dues fee.I don’t need another annual dues fee.I don’t need another annual dues fee.I don’t need another annual dues fee.I don’t need another annual dues fee.

:grimacing:

15 Likes

:joy: suuurrreee ya don’t. I narrowed down my options based on that actually. I know its not gaurenteed but I made my resort list to the bottom 50% of dues cost, the upper 50% of time left on contract, and the bottom 50% of price per point and highlighted the crossovers.
So now I have to buy because I’ve found the sweet spot and… Disney math right?

3 Likes

There certainly is a ton more inventory than there was for a while. I don’t know that most prices have dipped a lot. And you still have to keep the ROFR Monster in mind; there are a couple of OKW contracts (our home resort) showing at just over $100/point for 150ish points — but I’m sure that will get eaten right up. So even if that’s an attractive price you have to go above it, most likely, to save it from being taken.

2 Likes

I think this could be a roll-of-the-dice move.

If they keep the tower as part of the existing resort then this is the perfect time to buy because those points will appreciate quite quickly when the tower is done.

If they make it its own resort - a la Boulder Ridge and Copper Creek - then you’ll be restricted from using your points there anyway until the 7 mos mark. I suppose if that doesn’t matter then go for it. But if anything more than a studio that isn’t a bungalow is on your wish list, it would really stink.

2 Likes

None of us do.

But here we are.

4 Likes

I’m not sure how - if at all - this factors in: my sister exchanges into DVC thru RCI. Before the pandemic, really since 2018, there were no available units to exchange into. In late 2020, maybe the fall of, we started seeing availability again. Usually snapped up quickly and usually only 1br, when from about 2008 to 2015 2 br villas were available. Recently 1 br villas have been being available for awhile. Like days.
Here’s her text from last Wednesday : There are 7 Ol Key West 1br in August and September available in RCI. And 13 Saratoga Springs, 2 are June, the rest are August or September.

She texted a couple days later that several were still available.

I don’t know what inventory this is, I’ve assumed it’s Disney inventory that’s not being reserved.

I could be fine with a studio for the Poly stays. Honestly the 1 BRs need to sleep more than 4 or 5 to be worth it to me. I’ll do it if I have to but a studio is fine too. And that was my thinking, it’s a roll of the dice, but if the new tower is included with existing Poly contracts I’ll be priced out sooner or later. As much as I love Poly, I’d buy elsewhere. So it seems like its now or maybe never.
The location! I love it. The prospect of snagging a resi even every few years and being able to book at 11 months, worth it. I won’t want every trip at the Poly. We generally don’t do deluxe more than a couple days bc of the price. And I forsee many more Disney years ahead now that grandbaby is here. I don’t need DVC points but I want them. So waiting for a good deal, lol.
Also DH is spoiled. He likes finer accommodations. So if I can offer him some at a reasonable price, he might want to Disney more often. :grin:

2 Likes