Are DVC members dumping contracts?

Where are you seeing that? The close price 4/1/2020 was 108.15, 4/1/2022 was 135.62.

Just a 2 years ago the closing price reached $243. Stock has had it’s ups and downs. Lately especially after Chapek took over the stock has been on a downward spiral. Is it Chapeks fault? Don’t know but I as a Stockholder and theme park user am not happy with his performance. You may NOT agree.

1 Like

The highest it has been in the past 5 years was around $197, and that was under Chapek’s watch. Overall, stock is still up from where it was at the beginning of 2019.

Overall, I don’t think using stock prices is a good indicator at all of how well a company is doing. HOWEVER, I do think it gives a pulse on how people THINK it is doing. Still, not sure looking at Disney stock prices for the past couple years is enough to go by, because there have been too many market forces at play.

1 Like

Highest recorded close for DIS is 201.91 on 3/8/21. It’s not about how I feel, if you are providing facts you think are relevant to the discussion, they should be correct.

35% off its peak from just a year ago is nothing to sneeze at, especially when the S&P500 is up ~12% during that same period.

1 Like

Ah. I was a day off when I was clicking on the graph! You’re right. There it is!

1 Like

If resale prices plummet I may pad my points. But for now it just seems like it’s more about volume of transactions than pricing pressure. That could change …

2 Likes

I am sorry but you should also get your facts correct. I will agree that after checking I was a little high at 243. On the other hand in after market trading the stock broke 220. It wasn’t there long but it was there. How do I know? Because I own Dis stock and kicked myself for not selling at the time. I won’t a argue the point farther as you feel you found something different. The point being that prices at the parks are way up with add on’s that are making it difficult for families to afford anymore. I have heard it out here often enough to believe that many are not happy with the new way of pricing. DVC which I always though was a rip off and a way to get young people in debt they couldn’t afford. The rules and regulation for time use and price are crazy. Now you get less and less for your money. So have it your way. It is my opinion just like all of you express yours. The cart shown does NOT tell the true story as the chart is averaged.

1 Like

I suspect that this argument is not what @OBNurseNH intended for this thread?

6 Likes

Stop moving the goal posts. You said “the closing price reached $243” which sounded high to me, so I looked it up. The highest closing price is 201.91, which is a correct fact. Closing price has a very clear and accepted definition for publicly traded stocks. And it’s not the peak trading price, on or off hours.

2 Likes

He could do it in Swedish - “Ja” is 33% shorter.

4 Likes

It’s okay. We derail a lot around here :rofl:

But yeah no don’t care about stock. I’m interested in contracts and motives for buying or selling

7 Likes

On a completely innocent topic that you presented to the forum for discussion… No Way! :crazy_face: :rofl: :grin: I did not know those shenanigans took place here.
Any who… I think people selling are tired of the craziness with Disney lately and probably do not plan on going back any time soon so why keep the contract? They could rent the points out but a lump sum payment to walk away could be put to better use maybe.
I did a bit of research and found this article helpful
https://www.dvcresalemarket.com/blog/dvc-right-of-first-refusal-report-rofr-december-21/#:~:text=In%202021%2C%20Disney%20exercised%20their,waiver%20rate%20finished%20at%2087.0%25.

I would love to see a discussion on what’s everyone’s opinion regarding Disney’s motives for the recent buy back trend.

4 Likes

Probably not. No problem. Thread ended as far as I am concerened

I agree. I think the profit that people are seeing is a big driver in the sell-off as well. Especially for those that purchased when the prices were around $100pp, give or take.

5 Likes

Oh good point.

1 Like

I was able to rent points for this years trip at 3 different resorts (2 bedroom units) and one interesting tidbit was that 2 of the hotels, the party I rented from was actually the same LLC holding group.

The 3rd resort was around 17 days and because they break up anything over 2 weeks, those reservations were under the same very Russian name. And it’s just an assumption, but it feels like those points are purely investment.

This is my first foray into renting points, but the market feels very investor heavy. Less Mom and Dad couldn’t get the time off, more someone needed to diversify their assets.

5 Likes

Definitely both of these. There are some people that have had enough and bought OKW “way back when” and are deciding to sell now for a huge profit.
Heck, I bought my resale at $108 pp exactly 1 year ago and I could sell and make a profit now.

I am also getting irritated with some of Disney’s decisions, but looking towards the future, we won’t be selling. Its nice to know we will have a place (now 2 actually) for the next 20-30 years to stay at when we want a vacation.

This has come up in our discussions alot- as much as we love Disney, we are looking at spending less time at the parks in the future and maybe doing some things off the property.

I also suspect Disney will be buying up a lot of those 2042 contracts and turning around and selling them in the future with an extended expiration.

2 Likes

I was wondering also if the buyer market is drying up some, creating a surplus in available contracts. How long are the contacts staying on the market generally?

IDK that’s a good question. There were a LOT that I saw yesterday though that showed up as “New”

Though similarly there were at least as many that showed up as “Reduced” or “Reduced again”

So that could well be. And with the narrowing of the gap between some of the resale resorts and direct, potential buyers might be shunted to direct who would otherwise have bought resale ( :raised_hand: )

1 Like

I’m in that camp also. We tried to buy BC resale, but DVC snatched up both contracts we put offers in on. Then the prices changed and it was better to just add on at Riv.

2 Likes