Apparently, we didn't raise them right

Wish I would have thought about that. I too suffer the same addiction. We try to leave the country at least once a year. DW does more than I thanks to work, she has been to 47 countries.

1 Like

Jelly! Not sure if French Polynesia counts as it’s own country. I think it’s like Puerto Rico to the US and I’ve been to France so if I can’t count that as two I’ve only done New Zealand, France, Greece, UK, Italy, Canada, Mexico, China (and Hong Kong but that’s China now given what’s going on), Fiji(sort of), Honduras, Bahamas. I’ve got a long ways to go to catch up. Top of my list: Japan, Argentina, Jamaica, St Lucia, Switzerland strictly for the St Bernards thing cuz DOGS!, Kenya, South Africa and Spain and weirdly Ukraine but it’s because of my heritage for that one which really is Crimean and since Russia stole it right so maybe now I want to go to Russia?
Problem is I need to get remarried again to do the honeymoon registry and i like this hubby so instead I have to save the money myself AND wait for covid restrictions to lift. Sigh.

I am up to 22. We are planning on Australia, New Zealand and Fiji in January since we had to cancel this past January.

As long as you like current hubby you might as well stick with him.

1 Like

If you need any advice my brother lives in Christchurch so I can ask him his thoughts.

Edit: I think I will keep him and pay myself. My addiction isn’t worth losing the best that’s ever happened to me besides the kids. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Top notch chat for an engagement announcement thread guys :ok_hand:t3::ok_hand:t3::rofl::rofl:

5 Likes

I think you deserve a :heart:. Congratulations! Planning a wedding and a WDW honeymoon can be overwhelming. Perhaps you can plan it and gift it to them. I think honeymooning in WDW with RDing is not very honeymoonist. Hey, it’s all about priorities!

1 Like

I stay in Long Island City a lot. It’s in Queens and there are plenty of good name brand hotels on multiple subway lines that get you into Manhattan quickly.

I have stayed in Hyatt Flushing/Laguardia airport (in queens) which is walking distance to the 7 train. They had a free breakfast with asian food options like Kimchi etc. that I thought was cool. Parking garage at the hotel with in and out privileges. Congrats to your son and future DIL. Just FYI, NYC is not currently the glamourous place it once used to be. Perhaps by the time they tie the knot it will return to some of it glory. My friend who lives there said there are tons of boarded up places in once thriving neighborhoods. Just so there is no shell shock. Maybe others who live there want to chime in. But like you I vote for Disney bubble!

1 Like

If you/they don’t mind checking out the NJ side - Jersey City has a bunch of options, and you can take the PATH train into the city. You’d also get great views of Manhattan from NJ.

E.g. https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/new-jersey/hyatt-house-jersey-city/lgaxj/photos-reviews

Or the fancier option: https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/new-jersey/hyatt-regency-jersey-city-on-the-hudson/newjp/photos-reviews

If you go a bit more north, there’s also a Westin in the Newport part of Jersey City, or the W in Hoboken.

1 Like

THAT is a great idea!

I live in Manhattan and am therefore a Manhattan… maybe not /snob/, but… they call it the greatest city in the world for a reason. I would think there’s plenty of not too expensive places in Queens where they could stay, and then just pop across the river to do stuff in the city proper. Jersey City might also be an option, but that technically is not New York :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Haha I did it right. DD got engaged in January and she wants to honeymoon in WDW.

I would have loved to have spent our honeymoon in WDW but at the time to much of our family lived in Orlando, and did not want to spend our honeymoon with family. We went to Williamsburg instead, then 6 months later went to WDW.

4 Likes

4 Likes

My son hopes to do NYC for his honeymoon “on a budget”…but personally, I think he is setting his budget too low. Regardless, this has led to a question about if they decided to fly instead of drive, I assume you fly into JFK and then can take transportation into the city proper. Any advice on the best way to handle that?

(I’m trying to keep my nosy self out of his planning…but I would like to be armed with useful information if/when the time comes that he’ll ask for help!)

I have found flying out of Newark to be a sometimes cheaper and faster alternative. Traffic to JFK can be horrendous. (Ok, traffic to anywhere can be horrendous in NYC.)

1 Like

Just realized if they are staying in Queens or Brooklyn, they’ll want to fly into JFK or LGA. Only do Newark if staying in Manhattan or NJ.

1 Like

NYC is not inexpensive.

If he manages to keep that budge low I’ll be impressed.

3 Likes

Yeah. I’m not sure he really realizes this. I might be reporting in a few weeks how he’s decided to go to the middle of nowhere instead. :slight_smile:

Exactly. :sunglasses:

1 Like

The drive from JFK can be really terrible at rush hour (which is basically always). They could either take the subway (this will probably take at least 90 minutes, depending on where they’re going), or the Long Island Railroad, which is slightly faster.

LGA is closer to the center of things, but still a bit of a pain, especially because there’s no subway line connected to it. If they’re staying in a cool neighborhood in Queens like Astoria, this would be a super convenient place to fly into, as it would be like a $15-20 cab ride from the airport.

Also, they should know that parking in basically all parts of the city is a) a nightmare, b) expensive, and c) very hard to figure out the rules of. It might actually be cheaper for them to fly, rather than have to find a garage or figure out street parking. And this city is very much best enjoyed by walking/using the subway.

1 Like