Anyone try David’s and DVC Rental simultaneously?

So we’re in the que with David’s waiting for points for Bay Lake Tower. I’m sort of desperate to stay there (but hoping not to pay rack rate of course, lol) if we get in the que at DVC rental store is there a different clientele of Point owners? What if by some chance they both come in at the same time?? Once they start looking, if they find it they book automatically don’t they? You don’t get an email asking if you if you still want it. We have a friend that owns points at SS for us, but I’m worried at 7 months BLT won’t be available as we’re looking in Nov. we already lost The Beach Club availability waiting for points. Advice?

1 Like

If David’s has said that there is availability but they don’t have points available, then I would absolutely check another rental store. If there is no availability, then that will be the same across all stores.

2 Likes

I have done this. And it worked out.

Obviously, if they come in absolutely simultaneously, then you could lose the 100 “search fee” or whatever they call it.

However, as soon as I was notified by one company that they had secured my reservation, I immediately emailed the other to withdraw the search for that hotel/dates.

It worked out, but there is some small risk. If you are comfortable with the chance of losing the search fee/deposit, then go for it.

2 Likes

I know this is an old thread but hoping to have someone share a little light on the matter.
Im looking to rent points 2 yrs from now, obviously will put my request in at the 1yr plus mark.
Ive never rented points before, lurked on the sites but Im OCD and want to know the “process”, lol.
Ive looked at Davids and the other site that wants a “search fee” (i call it), think its dvc store but not sure… anyway it doesnt matter.
I have 3 options Im willing to rent, 1sr choice, 2nd choice and 3rd choice. Dates are non-negotiable (except by a day or 2 after optimal date)
Any advice? What can I expect? I want to hold out for my first or second choice if, with time, it could happen. I would also be fine with the 3rd choice, as a consolation prize.

2 Likes

My answer will probably depend a little on when exactly (actually Thanksgiving week?), what resort and what room.

What will happen on booking day (11 months out) is two pieces, the room will be available or not and the broker will have points or not. It’s rare that the room will be unavailable right away but it’s possible. If this happens you need to move to option #2 because another broker can’t help you. If the room is available and the broker has points then they can book.

If that broker doesn’t have points then it’s a waiting game. You could try another broker at this point or wait for the first broker to solicit points. If you wait too long though you might lose the availability so you need to strike a balance between waiting and moving down the list.

We would be happy to give opinions on what the actual likely scenarios might be around availability. Next couple of years are a little anybody’s guess though!

1 Like

Week after Thanksgiving, ideally Sat - Sat or Sun - Sun. Poly lagoon, poly standard, WL. All looking at studios or something for 5 ppl, 1 will be almost 2 so not major bedding needed for 5th person.
Im willing to go with what ever broker has availability, even if the point cost is slightly higher. Im just afraid to try more than 1 broker at once, what if they all have availability and Im locking in to paying all (the penalty for the canceled ones). Is that how it works?

I believe with the DVC rental store you pay a $100 search fee. If they find availability and you decline/cancel it or cancel it before they give up searching, you lose that $100.

But for you to be stuck paying for the rental they’d have to locate an owner willing to rent and then you’d have to sign the rental agreement and send them your first payment.

Even then with DVC rental store if you cancel in advance they’ll convert some or all of what you gave them into a credit good for two years. It’s not a refund but it’s better than nothing

I think that Poly will be fine at 11 months, especially if you are ok with Lake view! I do not think you need to do more than one broker at once. I would imagine they could tell you up front if they have points available for you at 11 months and if not, check another one.

The “problem” I found is that the brokers will indicate that they have points available but then there’s the wait while they try to find someone interested in renting points.
It took me over 3 months to land Poly but AKL and BWV were same day!

Well I mean, I guess if I didn’t have a Poly confirmation by the first day, I would be moving on to another broker!

But then I would’ve lost my $100 fee and who knows what the next broker would cost me.

My understanding is that when the brokers say there’s availability they’re all looking at the same info about that resort and it’s not actually a forecast of their ability to find an owner willing to rent points.

Instead I booked a room thru Disney at Poly knowing I could cancel it without losing any money.
And then waited… and waited…

Oh, then I would definitely not use DVC Rental Store then! That’s so shady that they sit on your $100 while the availability starts slipping away. Below is the language from David’s which would make me start there.

If your request cannot be fulfilled:

You will be given the opportunity to book available rooms/resorts.
If they are not satisfactory to you, your $133.00 partial payment is refunded.

They should be able to tell you if they have an owner for the Poly before exactly 11 months though.

1 Like

But you’d be cancelling before it was determined that your request cannot be fulfilled, so that looks like a loophole to be wary of.
DVC Rental offers the same thing. If they cannot secure a rental, you can apply your search fee on other available resorts or they refund it.
But that’s only after it’s been determined it cannot be fulfilled (i.e., availability has gone).

I don’t think anyone will guarantee that they can tell you availability quickly, and nobody can outside the 11-month window.

Personally I didn’t go with David’s because they offer nothing if you have to cancel.
Given the never ending pandemic uncertainties, that isn’t an option for me.

Well, in my opinion, if they don’t have points, then my request cannot be fulfilled. I would dispute the charge if they tried to hold it for months. So I guess it’s up to everyone’s comfort level! Either way, the original question was should she use two companies and I don’t think she needs to LEAD with two companies.

1 Like

Personally, if you really want to stay at a given resort and can only afford it by renting DVC points, I’d say sure, try multiple companies so you’ve got multiple brokers looking for renters.
The downsides are:

1. you’ll pay multiple search fees up front; and
  2. you’ll lose search fees if more than one broker comes back with a rental and you have to decline them.

And of course if you’re not comfortable with a broker or their rental terms, definitely don’t get them searching for renters just so you have an extra line in the water.

But no, you won’t end up renting multiple villas.

There is currently NO studio availability for those dates at Poly nor WL. So, doubtful you would find anything through renting. Not impossible, but doubtful.

She is looking at 2 years from now.

Oh. I see.

Well…THAT’S embarrassing!

I have rented thru David’s many times. Being a DVC owner I can see what is available at any time, and I am sure many of us on here can help you with that so you will know before you even start the process.

From my understanding is first they look to see if your request is available, then they have to find an owner with the points needed at the resort you are looking at. I have had instances that they sent me an email saying the room is available and now they are just trying to match an owner. This can take up to 24 hrs (I think) and by the time they have an owner the room is no longer available. This has happened to me more than once.