Any experience with the Grand Floridian? Free upgrade!

Just got a call from Disney saying the room inventory at Caribbean Beach is maxed and they are upgrading us to the Grand Floridian at no additional charge. He explained this is a deluxe resort with monorail. I’m not even sure what the monorail is because CB doesn’t have it, so I didn’t look into it :rofl: We leave in a few days and I have little free time to research this resort before then! Any experience with GF?? Any must know info? Wondering, too, if anyone has ever had experience with this happening and if I should instead see if we can move to a different resort?

4 Likes

Umm… you sure this was Disney that called you and not some prank call? This seems highly unlikely, but maybe some of the Veterans here will have heard of this happening.
If it’s real, then maybe I should book CB instead of WL :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yes! I called the number on the Disney website to confirm and it’s legit! It sounds like I kinda hit the jackpot! Ahhh!!

5 Likes

Ahhh… If this is real, it’s amazing. The GF is the top of the line deluxe resort in WDW; rooms typically run in excess of $500/night. It’s like the Holiday Inn calling and saying they overbooked but they got you are deluxe room at the Hilton at no extra charge. Much larger rooms, amazing lobby, beautiful grounds, four of the best restaurants in WDW. If nothing else, just Google it and spend a couple of minutes looking at the pictures. This would be most people’s (including my) dream come true.

You don’t know what the monorail is… It’s just that, a monorail loop that connects the Magic Kingdom, Contemporary Resort, Ticket and Transportation Center, Polynesian Village Resort, and the Grand Floridian Resort - although if you do not know what the monorail or GF are, than I assume you probably don’t know what any of these other than the Magic Kingdom are either.

2 Likes

this is very wonderful – you will love the GF!

2 Likes

This is most fabulous.
I’m so happy for you.

I’ve never heard of such a thing. This is excellent.

2 Likes

Don’t you dare! as mentioned, the gf is the flagship resort. It’s really going to spoil you (in the best way possible).

The monorail is arguably the most iconic thing at Disney world next to the castle. It’s also a direct line to Epcot (you’ll have to switch trains at the TTC, but it’s very easy, just follow the signs or the herd of people).

You haven’t even left yet and your trip is off to a fantastic start.

4 Likes

I have a friend who is going in two weeks and got a similar call. They too were booked at Caribbean Beach, but were upgraded to a lagoon view at Poly!

Super awesome part? Poly is where she originally wanted to stay, but couldn’t get an affordable rate, so settled for CBR (happily)!

What is going on at CBR?!

7 Likes

Yes, I called the resort number listed on Disney’s website to confirm the call I received was real, and the woman said yes and told me about the resort. I said ohh, now I understand why the original person I talked to sounded a bit like ‘lady, take the resort change! You want the change!’ :rofl:

4 Likes

Whatever it is, wish I could get in on it! LOL

3 Likes

Wow, there must be something! That’s great for your friend! That resort looks awesome, too!

1 Like

That is so amazing. Have a fabulous trip!

2 Likes

I heard someone on a different forum got an upgrade to BC from CBR. I should have booked CBR for next week’s trip!!

2 Likes

It happens, it has happened several times at CB in the last couple of months. Not sure what’s going on there.

2 Likes

I’m wondering if there is something happening with the work at Riviera that is impacting large swaths of rooms at CBR on a temporary - and unexpected - basis.

2 Likes

That would make sense.

1 Like

What is happening with Riviera? I wondered if maybe it had to do with work on the gondola, if it would be close and disruptive to rooms.

1 Like

They are finishing construction and probably have a big push to be ready to open first wk of December

1 Like

I wouldn’t be surprised by the overbooking, we hopped from CBR to another because of discounts. Even immediately after I confirmed the move from CBR the system showed no availability even at rack rate for the dates. (June 14th-23rd) Cleared cache and history on browser still none available.

Sigh. Now even if I get exactly the rooms I am requesting at POFQ in October, I am going to be disappointed that I didn’t get upgraded to a deluxe.

1 Like