Animal Kingdom Trails

We have 1 long day planned at AK July 21st. I do have options for the exhausted an escape or afternoon break back to our resort POR. In our touring plans I do have time spent at all 3 trails. Can I get your opinions on the best ones. Or the ones that might provide a calming recovery time for the kiddos. So if We only allow time for 1 or 2 which should it be between Gorilla Falls, Discovery trails, and Maharaja Jungle Trail.

You have a choice of Tigers, Gorillas (with swimming hippos and a walk-through aviary) or Discovery Island.

IMO the times allowed by TP are woefully short. I allow at least 45-60 minutes for both Maharajah and Gorilla Falls.

The Discovery Island ones are just paths winding around past animal enclosures. For an animal lover, it could fill an entire morning.

1 Like

I much prefer Gorilla Falls over Maharaja, but I think they are both worth your time. It just feels to me like there is a lot more to see (and do) on the Gorilla Falls trail. We do it every trip while for Maharaja we “see if we have time”.

I don’t think there’s much at all to see on Discovery aside from the tree itself, occasionally a character, and a couple of animals on that “front” lawn which can be seen in large part from the entrance pavilion.

2 Likes

Oh, am I thinking of the Oasis “trails” then? I do like walking around the Tree of Life anyway though.

1 Like

100% agree. I manually increased our planned time on the trails or simply add them into the TP twice.

The trails around the Tree of Life are very enjoyable and not at all crowded in our experience.

2 Likes

Oasis trails are at the entrance, one down the left side and one down the right side. Those have a lot more to see, but they are animals that hide a lot more it seems so it might be harder to see stuff.

That’s also where Divine appears

1 Like

Where are the Otters? Oasis Trails? I’m looking forward to seeing them next month!

1 Like

Otters are at Discovery Island trails. They were “meh” for me.

1 Like

I’ve got the kids excited about going for a Divine hunt and shared the pix with them. But now I fear I have to much in my plan that keeps them in the heat. So if need be looking for the best on to scratch on the day of if need be.

Oh no really?!? We love watching them at our zoo but they haven’t been out in at least a year or two when we’ve gone. They’re always so playful!

1 Like

Well, the Oasis trails - where she is - is an incredibly shaded area of the park.

1 Like

That’s what we will be looking for after our 4pm dinner at Tusker House.

Oasis Trails are far from Tusker. They are at the entrance.

Gorilla Falls is pretty well shaded, too, and right nearby to Tusker. I recommend that. Perhaps consider visiting Rafiki’s Conservation Station as well if it has reopened by your visit.

2 Likes

Oh wait, you’re trying to pick one.

After Tusker, do Gorilla

1 Like

i could spend all day exploring the trails. my top two are gorilla falls and maharajah jungle trek, which i just did for the first time in november. love the gorillas and the hippos are simply fantastic. the maharajah trek took longer for me to complete. like all of animal kingdom, maharajah is so well themed; i spent a good amount of time photographing details, like wall paintings and carvings, in addition to seeing the animals. you really can’t go wrong with either.

2 Likes

Good to know on the rime. I increased the amount of time on my TP, but probably not enough. I am also trying to fit in much of the entertainment since I think that my DGDs will enough the music and the dancing. Hard to make it all fit in 1.5 days.

2 Likes

Total vote for gorilla. They are often very active and fun to watch.

1 Like

So I found Maharaja to be much less crowded, even during a busy part of the day. It also “feels” more secluded, going through the buildings and such.
I really appreciated the themeing there. I found Gorilla to be interesting, but just overrun with people. You get off Safari and just head in there which I think gets a lot of people.

3 Likes

Unless you do it first thing in the morning. And then you can be in there almost entirely all alone!

1 Like

We loved Maharaja (have not done Gorilla :frowning: ) but would not call it relaxing. Oasis trails are relaxing with benches but IMHO that area is the most humid part of WDW I have ever set foot in. Discovery island is nice and relaxing and fun to get up close to the tree, but not as many animals.

1 Like