Am I Disney deranged?

Last October we did our “one time” Disney trip. We rented a 2-bedroom at Boulder Ridge, did EMM at TSL, had some character meals, spent way too much on souvenirs, rode all the rides, and had the best time ever. We did not do everything we had planned/hoped, but it was still a good trip (other than going to F&W on a Saturday like a dummy). It was SO fun that I found myself wanting to plan another trip and just being generally bummed about not having any sort of excuse to go back.

My 40th birthday is in May and it happens to be the same week I graduate with my Master’s degree. When I went to book my hotel/flights to my graduation ceremony, I accidentally saw that Disney was running room discounts during the same time…and I accidentally booked a Storybook Dining reservation on my actual birthday night…and I accidentally found some decent flights to Orlando…and after a little hesitation I totally booked a room.

Has anyone else somewhat spontaneously planned a trip less than 100 days out? Am I nuts for pulling the kids out of school TWICE in one school year to go to Disney World? Am I really skipping my graduation because I’d rather wake up 40 years old in the place that makes me feel like a kid?

12 Likes

Nope, not nuts! Do what makes you happy!

3 Likes

Sounds like a great plan! Happened to us our first trip when I “accidentally” saw the crazy room discounts for a weekend in June…and again when I learned we would get an unexpected week off in March! Best trips ever!!! have a wonderful time and congratulations on your birthday and your masters degree!!!

1 Like

Sounds right to me! Oh! Leaving the world in May will be so much easier if you already have your next trip booked. :wink:

3 Likes

There isn’t one thing in your question that makes me blink - except the graduation question. Only you can answer that, but will it bother you later you didn’t walk for your graduation?

Other that that, I think May is the best time of the year to visit WDW.

1 Like

Seems like a rather happy accident, to me!

3 Likes

I’ll answer the kids and school question. We pulled DS for 2 1/2 days in December, he’ll miss one day in February and, thanks to my last minute find a few weeks ago, one day in May…all for Disney. The principal is used to it as he’s missed several days over his 3 years at the school for Disney…she always just says ‘have fun!’ when I pick him up.

And last year, I wanted to be in Disney for my 40h birthday. I did and it was amazing!!!

3 Likes

Personally I don’t take my kid away from school but I certainly don’t judge people who do. For everything else it seems totally right to me. :smiley:

1 Like

:heart_eyes:

1 Like

As a teacher I have a mixed feelings on pulling kids out of school. It can have the unintended implication that school isn’t that important. It also tends to put a another burden on the teacher as its our responsibility to either plan work ahead of time or catch them up, outside of class, when then get back. While this is definitely “part of the job” it is not as easy as “you missed this, go do it.” I guess, long story short, if you can avoid pulling them out of school its better for everyone.

Having said all that, I never begrudge a family for taking an opportunity for a once in a lifetime experience. If the kid is proactive about the situation most teachers will be happy for them and do everything in our power to make it work.

As for the principal comment, its easy for them to say “have fun” when they aren’t the ones grading the papers, setting up the labs, and deal with the complaining about grades. :wink:

4 Likes

I’ve wondered this question myself. I’m going to WDW in 81 days and have been coming up with tentative plans for June 2020, maybe August 2021 (including MNSSHP) and 10th anniversary trip in 2022! I may be crazy but it all comes down to Do What You Like!

1 Like

His teachers tell me the same thing. I actually got a call from his teacher this week out of the blue to tell me what a wonderful kid I have and that I was doing a great job - I figure it’s all the Disney trips :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Actually, it was related to his willingness to open up about his disability while discussing an article on modified playgrounds and educate his classmates on why he is physically different and what his challenges are - a difficult thing for a 4th grader to talk about when they all want to fit in. This alone let me know I am doing the right thing in pulling him - he deserves this!

5 Likes

I took my son out of school for 8 days in May when he was in 4th grade. His teacher was totally against it, but I wrote an education plan, followed through on all of it (including daily journaling for him from February to a week after we returned, completing a report after we returned about something that sparked his interested, and he helped with all the planning, including reading the Unofficial Guide out loud to each other). When we returned, his teacher admitted to me that he probably learned more by doing the trip than being in school. But she did say that most parents don’t follow through on the educational plan.

As for the graduation, I have never been to a graduation since high school. I think they are terribly boring.

3 Likes

I accidentally booked a trip 53 days out. Had it all planned out for 2019 but a deal came along that was too good to pass up. DO IT!!!

2 Likes

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.travelandleisure.com/travel-news/kids-more-successful-when-they-travel

Someone posted this on Facebook today. Now we cannot do more than 5 days for an educational trip, but I have no issues pulling my kids out of school.

2 Likes

Yes, 60+ days for last December
No, kids can learn valuable stuff in WDW
Do what makes you happy!!

1 Like

Wait. I think you made a typo.

I’m pretty sure you meant: “Kids can spend valuable money on stuff in WDW”

:wink:

4 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

And also…
Hey kids, learn all you can while you’re in WDW because I’m spending your college$$$ on this!

4 Likes

Hey, accidents happen. No need to cry over spilled milk. Enjoy!!

2 Likes