Travel Party: me, DH, DD5, and DS2. Darling Sisters 1 and 2 joining later.
Original Plan: Leave tomorrow morning from PA, drive to Lorton, VA to take the auto train overnight, arrive in Orlando Saturday morning. Spend the day at Kidani Village, enjoying pool, eating Sanaa, watching the animals. Head to AK on Sunday morning then move over to the Beach Club for the remainder of our trip.
What Sent this Off the Rails Already: A literal freight train derailment south of Florence in South Carolina. Autotrain tomorrow is canceled. At least we got 28 hours notice?!
So we will likely drive down and take the auto train for the return trip. We’re debating leaving this afternoon after kiddos are done with daycare or waiting until tomorrow morning as originally planned. It’s a 16 hour drive without stops. But DS2 has only been potty trained for four months and well, toddlers don’t love being stuck in car seats for that long… (I know there are a lot of car seat lovers here and I appreciate all that they’ve done for our children’s safety, but I’m going to lament for a hot second here the days when my parents drove me all the way to Florida as a toddler where I got to sprawl out in the back of a station wagon with my big sisters without so much as a seatbelt…)
Plus, I only booked Kidani because I knew we’d have the day to spend and I really don’t want to arrive there late and feel like I spent more money than I wanted to only to eat dinner and sleep. (I should mention that I got the auto train tickets using all the points I’ve accumulated riding the train from Philly to DC over the last several years, so the transport wasn’t costing us a dime… and they were going to feed us. Now, we have to pay for gas, tolls, food, and a hotel somewhere along the way.)
As DH said, though, at least we got the notice this morning. It could’ve all happened tomorrow during the day and we’d be in much worse shape. So, for now, I’m off to finish packing and try to remind myself that soon, so very soon, I will be in the happiest place on earth…