AK announcement at D23? What would you like to see?

Looks like execs have been meeting about the fate of DinoLand in Animal Kindgom. Could we really here an update at D23 in a few weeks!?

I know we’ve talked about this before, but what do you think will actually be announced?

3 Likes

I would love to see that area be dedicated to South America. There is obvious IP that could fit there.

5 Likes

I actually found this at the bottom of the article to be more interesting than the speculation regarding DinoLand

5 Likes

Word amongst many of those with inside connections seems to be that that the Moana plan for AK is going ahead.

Whether Zootopia is also happening I don’t know. Both were mentioned at the last D23.

I’d prefer the Indy plans were dusted off instead but I don’t think it’ll happen. And sadly the Shanghai “Pirates” technology seems to have been ruled out several years ago as too expensive.

But they really, really need to use the lake for something. That amphitheatre space is just a waste sitting there with no use for it.

3 Likes

So there would be a Moana experience at Epcot and AK?

2 Likes

That’s why I’m thinking there has to be more to the area than Moana. They really need variety of IP in the parks, not just the most popular at the moment.

4 Likes

I’m 100% down for this. I think the Zootopia stuff would be cool too, but I’m not as committed to that idea.

Hadn’t even thought of this as an option but it would make sense in the context of a retheme to South America (if the Disneyland ride were modified to have more of a South American flair) or an expansion of Asia.

In any case, I really hope they announce something and get started on it ASAP!

1 Like

I think Zootopia plays better than a second Moana, and they could incorporate a lot of experiences with the county and cityscapes of zootopia.

4 Likes

I have a hard time envisioning Zootopia in a park where you can see real animals. Just doesn’t work out in my brain (but I’m not an Imagineer!)

Maybe they’ll finally do something with that dragon in the logo (though I guess if they dump dinoland…then the dragon isn’t the only unused icon)

6 Likes

For the sake of people with families, I hope they keep a playground area. The Boneyard and Honey I Shrunk the Kids playgrounds saved my first trip.

I love Moana, but hope it is more than that too. Encanto could be a really nice fit.

9 Likes

Encanto can totally be incorporated with a South American theme.

3 Likes

We loved the Honey playset. So sad that its gone i definitely think the play area and the Dino ride should remain. But the whole area needs a revamp.

3 Likes

Agree it needs that revamp! I just hope they don’t forget the simple things that make a space special for families of all ages.

Would love if they incorporated wildlife from.South America in that area!

6 Likes

Can you imagine a sloth exhibit??!! :scream::heart_eyes::star_struck:

5 Likes

I don’t like the Zootopia idea, but I think they could go that direction to save money.

If Dino was rethemed to Indy, ala DLR, then the South American idea works…and could be done relatively cheaply. I hate the idea of Encanto, or any real IP there. The best ride in the park does not use IP. (EE…did you think FOP was the best ride? Nope…EE is way better.) The use of existing IP just limits their creativity too much. Give us something that shows us a unique take on the REAL or possibly MYTHIC animal world.

But…I think we will likely just get Zootopia.

5 Likes

This 1000 times.

1 Like

I love sloths! Now I need a sloth exhibit at AK.

2 Likes

Because Encanto uses magical realism to add “magic” to a real place, I think you can do Encanto just as well as you can do Indy. Thene the land to South America the way Asia and Africa are themed to those contents. And then if a ride has to be based on IP, it can be Encanto (though I agree EE is the best ride, there is just no way there is not going to be some kind of IP).

And then add a way to use the river as the Amazon! And other fun things.

2 Likes

I only said Indy because Dinosaur is a ride already in place, and it is the same ride mechanism as the Indy ride at DLR…so it is a no-brainer for them to convert it from Dinosaur to Indy.

Part of what they do there will also need to be on a budget. They just aren’t going to pour tons of money into this. Look at Epcot. All that construction for years and we ended up with one ride, a restaurant, and a water feature.

What ride can you get out of Encanto? The only thing I can think of is riding dragons inside the house…but … that’s just a clone of FOP then!

Encanto just seems like a very poor choice of IP for anything in AK.

3 Likes

Oh yeah, thsmis makes sense. And I like the DLR ride, I was just thinking or a complete reimagining of everything.

This part is reality - I was thinking more “what would you like to see”. And I would like a whole South America section.

I’m not an Imagineer, so I am not sure! But just like Indy wouldn’t be animal based (and Kali River Rapids is not), I think you could do a non-animal based Encanto ride, if the ride is set in the jungles/mountains of south america. I would love another roller coaster.

3 Likes