After Hours Events-Worth It?

What are people’s thoughts on the After Hours Events? Do they really limit ticket sales enough for these to make it as advertised with little to no wait for attractions? My wife and I have a trip planned for June, and they recently added new dates for the after hours events. A Hollywood Studios date falls during our trip, so I was wondering if it would be worth it to try. I’d love to hear from people who have done this-can you really get through a lot of stuff, or would I be paying a bunch to stand in long lines after hours and eat a few free Mickey Bars?

3 Likes

I haven’t done it but so many report virtually no waits. Look at the ride inclusion. HS would probably be the only park I would consider purchasing an After Hours ticket. But only for a shorter trip. If I had a week or longer I would rather add park hoppers (for the $$) and stack HS LLs for a couple evenings.

1 Like

I did After Hour events pre Covid. My upcoming June trip both HS and MK will be available. I am considering HS but I am concerned that there is always the potential for multiple ride break downs.

3 Likes

My only experience with AH is MK in Feb 2018

You tell me if it had limited attendance

9:55pm, Frontierland

10:51pm Fantasyland

11:35pm Tomorrowland

11:45pm Fantasyland

12:25am Hub

12:37am Main Street

12:43am Town Square

12:45am Main Street

The event ended at 1am.

It was one of our favorite nights in the parks ever. IIRC everything was a walk-on, or at most a couple minutes wait. In some spaces - I remember Frontierland specifically - it was almost eerie being dark and literally nobody around us. Very cool experience. Highly recommend.

12 Likes

I may want to consider this on my upcoming trip for HS. I haven’t checked pricing or days available but it would be nice since it’s a shorter trip to pack everything in.

4 Likes

I went to MK After Hours pre-pandemic. I can’t speak to how it is now, but I’d do it again without thinking twice. A fantastic, memorable night in the park.

3 Likes

This could actually be perfect for us if the crowds are that small. This will be a short trip-4 nights at the Dolphin. Right now we have 2 day tickets with hoppers. We were planning to hit the boardwalk or Disney Springs on arrival day-Sunday. Monday was going to be AK then hop to Epcot. Tuesday relax at the resort and enjoy the pools. Wednesday HS then hop to MK. Head for home Thursday morning. After Hours for this trip would fall on Wed for HS, so now I’m thinking-Keep Monday as AK then hop to Epcot. Tuesday we could spend the day at Magic Kingdom. Then Wednesday, we could sleep in, enjoy the resort and pools during the day. After hours lets you into the park at 7:00 pm, so we could enter then, eat somewhere, catch Fantasmic, then use after hours to hit the rides. I’ll definitely have to give this some thought. Thanks everyone for the input.

2 Likes

This is how we did our After Hours day too
That trip was heavily DS focused, plus a single day at AK.
Then a quiet resort day and after hours.
My kids were small then and I just needed a break more than anything :laughing:

3 Likes

I love after hours. It’s my favorite way to do the parks. I’m gutted that there won’t be any during our week. I guess I will just be buying all the extra LL and G+ instead. This also means I have to choose between seeing Luminous or Fantasmic.

I miss after hours AK. I love that park at night.

2 Likes

MK does a really good job of after hours because there are so many rides to spread out the crowd. We really enjoyed Epcot as well - but rides weren’t all a complete walk on like MK. Guardians was around a half hour. But they had a DJ playing music which was piped in throughout the park and characters interspersed throughout as well. Just a really fun atmosphere. HS seems to have the hardest time with so few rides and it really felt like they oversold the one we went to on President’s Week. But we are going to give it a go again this year and see if it’s any better. But as @PrincipalTinker said, one or two rides break down and there just isn’t enough there to disperse the crowds.

3 Likes

MK looked empty! That’s amazing. I just wish they had the after hours events on different nights than the extended evening hours. I’d happily pay to do the event but not if I have to give up my “free” extra hours.

3 Likes

When I did MK After Hours precovid, I was able to stay on BTMRR for a 2nd ride. It was an amazing night.

@momfourmonkeys the free deluxe hours is another conflict I have. I like those nights too (but after hours has been fewer people ). Do I pay over $400 for a night that could be impacted by breakdowns and lose out on a free event?

1 Like

I’m hoping there’s an extended evening hours during our 2 night stay at beach club. Unfortunately 4 seasons doesn’t get that benefit for our other nights.

The more I think about this, the more torn I become. On one hand, I think this would be a really cool experience-few people in the park at night would be really fun. If MK after hours fell on our trip dates, I don’t think I would hesitate-just because there are so many attractions. However, since we’re looking at HS, we already know that there is a good chance that RnRC will still be getting refurbished at that point. If there are any other ride problems, we could be looking at my first statement-“paying a bunch to stand in long lines after hours and eat a few free Mickey Bars.” We would also have to give up our extended evening hours at MK since the HS after hours is set for a Wednesday. I’m not sure which way I’m leaning right now…

3 Likes

The MK and DHS ones seem to be the best value and time. DAK has too few rides and Epcot is so big you spend most of your time walking between rides.

2 Likes

Sorry, I’ve been out of the loop for a long time. How do you guys know when the deluxe resort extended hours will be so far in advance? We are going July 6-13 and I’m wondering if MK will have extended hours on Wed July 10 or if I should get the HS After Hours tickets.

They have been, with little exception, pretty consistent since they started. So what they are now is MOST LIKELY what they will be then.

2 Likes

Thanks for the quick reply. Are After Hours and Deluxe Extended Hours typically on different nights though? Since the Hollywood Studios after hours events are on Wednesdays, might Disney change the schedule for MK extended hours?
Too bad times a ticking… tickets go on sale for HS after hours on Jan 31 and I feel like I have to make a decision by then.

1 Like

Right now, there are MK extended evening hours scheduled for Wed Jan 24, and HS after hours scheduled for Wed Jan 24, so they don’t seem to mind scheduling them on top of each other.

3 Likes

Bummer. If they had scheduled both MK and HS after hours events in the same week, I would have bought both and Disney could have gotten twice the extra money. The current reality is that I’ll prefer MK extended hours (for Tron) over HS After Hours, so Disney won’t get any extra money from me.

1 Like