Advice needed re: trip timing and planning. Is it crazy to take 2 trips a month apart?

So some quick background. I am taking my family (me, DH, DS18 and DD9) and my youngest sister’s family (DSis, DBil, 3 boys 6,6 &9) to WDW the first week of May in 2022. We will be there for 8 nights and it will be heavy on the thrill rides and Galaxy’s Edge. We will be doing a split stay at the Poly and BWI.

My mom and my other sister would like to go the first week of June in 2022 and have invited DD9 and I. This group would be my mom, my other sister, her DD11 and DS6. It would be a very different trip, much more relaxed with more pool time and fewer thrill rides. It sounds like it will be a trip with emphasis on AK and MK days, maybe a day at Epcot. The tentative plan is AKL (my mom’s dream resort) with a possible split stay at GF since that is my sister’s dream resort.

I am definitely going on the trip in May, but I can’t decide if it is crazy to go on a second trip only a month later. Unfortunately, my sister doesn’t doesn’t have a lot of flexibility with choosing when to go. Her school district’s schedule is crazy, only 1 week off at Christmas and only Thur-Mon off for spring break. The school gives parents a hard time about kids missing any time, so summer break is really the only time she can go other than the week of Christmas or a few days the week of Easter. Early June seems like it would have the best weather when choosing between June, July and August.

Due to the different goals and expectations of what they want on a trip, and some weird family dynamics, I do not think that it’s a good idea to mix these groups. I think there would be tension and no one would end up having the trip they really wanted.

So my questions are: How is the weather during the first part of June? I know it will be hot, but is it totally miserable?
Do you think it will be less special/fun having trips so close together? In my ideal world they would be 6 months apart.
For anyone who has done something like this, were your kids able to enjoy a second trip close together, or did they melt down and make you wish you’d saved your money? :money_with_wings:
Anything else I should consider?

1 Like

I would go every month if I could.

Take both trips. It will be fun to experience the parks from two different perspectives.

8 Likes

I agree w/ @OBNurseNH. PreCovid I went 5 months in a row w/ different family and friends. It was wonderful!

3 Likes

This is totally dependent on the individual. Hot, humid and rain everyday in June. June 1st begins the hurricane season, although scientists want to say it starts May 15th now.

My trips where handled differently depending on who was there so, if you need to do a more laid back trip b/c the little ones are hot and tired take afternoons off at the resort pool… or build in a pool day. Our family usually builds in a pool day.

2 Likes

Thank you, for your replies. I am really leaning toward going.
Pre-covid I would never have considered it, but now that we have gone through this crazy year, I feel like there are no guarantees and I want to make all the memories!

Have either of you been in June? How’s the weather, I imagine hot, humid and rainy? Is it so hot that it’s totally miserable? I’m trying to set my expectations for what we can expect.

1 Like

Thank you! I see we both posted at the same time! I always thought August was the start of hurricane season, I will have to start paying attention to that kind of thing.

1 Like

I live here now… I’ve lived in Florida off and on over the past 50 years… June is a handful but you acclimate. Hydrate, take it easy, dress cool, wear sun screen. You know the drill :wink: Some ppl love the humidity and others struggle

2 Likes

Hurricane season is June 1st to Nov 30th

1 Like

I would go. Each trip sounds special in their own way! Plus, post-COVID, take all
The vacations!

3 Likes

I would take two trips a month apart. Each trip may be going to the same place but the experiences are very different and you are going with different people. As such, I think each trip will be special.

I don’t get to go to WDW often. When we do, it is go, Go, GO! I often wish we had trips where we could chillax, shoot the breeze, and enjoy WDW at a much more leisurely pace.

We live in CA and have had Disneyland APs. There were times we were going every month. The kids thoroughly enjoyed themselves.

4 Likes

I would go every month if I could. It’s not crazy. Just fanatical. :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

I would absolutely go twice if it was workable. With different people it will likely be completely different trips. And, it just lessens the stress of the first trip because you can pick up whatever you don’t get enough of the next time. The first trip I took to Disney as an adult was in June, with my husbands family as his dad’s convention was there. Just about all I remember about it was how incredibly hot and humid it was. I swore I’d never go back again in the summer. And for 20 years I didn’t! But now I’ve been there the last 2 August’s and although it was still blazing hot, we had a great time. All a matter of perspective and attitude I guess. You just have to accept being one with the sweat!

4 Likes

I would go! If the groups shouldn’t mix and your daughter loves them both I’d do it. I was worried about going in June our first trip but it was fine. The only time I thought we might melt was waiting for the parade to start in the FP section on Main St. My daughter was under a sunscreen cover in her stroller eating a cake-pop so she could have cared less! We got caught in a downpour on the way out of Animal Kingdom but again could have cared less! We are going back in June again this year for a whole week (the other trip was 3 days)!

2 Likes

Actually I’m remembering now after @Sandyh’s post that our first family trip was in the end of June. And we were immediately addicted. So hot as it was, it wasn’t a factor in our enjoyment. We stayed out of the midday heat and stayed hydrated. A lot of things are in the AC anyway.

Don’t let the thermometer scare you.

1 Like

You came to the right place to assure you it isn’t crazy to take two Disney trips so close together! Ha! We go about twice a year but I’d go more often if I could!! I always leave thinking “I think I’m good for a while” and then am eyeing wait times on MDE a month later. :laughing:

We’ve been in late July and early October. Both trips incredibly hot. Sweating in all the crevices. :nauseated_face: But both were a blast and I’d take both of those trips again in a heartbeat. Just plan ahead for the heat, A/C breaks, lots of water, cooling towels, etc. and you’ll be fine!

4 Likes

You guys are great, thank you for all of the replies. I’m going to go for it! :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

This is my favorite group of Disney enablers :laughing:

3 Likes

Although, this chart makes June look fair benign. This is for Florida only.

3 Likes

Oh yes… fall is the worst time for hurricanes. Schools let out early and close (snow day :wink: ) all the time in the fall. I worked on Sanibel Island many years ago and frequently in the fall my boss would let all of us, that didn’t live on the island, go home early to avoid storms coming. Driving across the causeway to the mainland wasn’t safe during torrential down pours.

Yes, June starts the hurricane season but they are not the most common then. Just as the end of November ends the season, but they have generally stopped by then.