Advice for a special anniversary

Hi all, just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for where to go/what to do for my parents 40th wedding anniversary, The whole family (my parents, my wife and I, my sister and kids) are going to be in WDW during this time and I wanted to know which experiences/restaurants etc would be your top picks. My parents are not the type to want an expensive, romantic meal for two otherwise I would have tried to get a table at V&A or Cali Grill etc. They would much prefer to have a celebration with the whole family. But being that me and my wife are the type to have a fantastic meal for two to celebrate our special occasions, which places to go with a group of 7 of ages 2 - 68 is certainly not my forte!

1 Like

That sounds like it will be a great trip having the whole family there!
What about Tea at the Grand Floridian? it would be an afternoon get together, the kids can have their special tea party (I think it’s chocolate milk and sandwiches?) lots of food and a special atmosphere without going all out at V&A. It might be a bit on the pricey ($40-50 for adults) side but not like dining at the Chef’s table for sure! It would be a quick monorail ride over from the MK and if you time it right the kids could see Cinderella in the main lobby when she does her afternoon waltz thing?
Happy planning to you!!

2 Likes

I think the Tea idea is really cool. I would also though suggest Cal Grill. It is good food - but I would hardly call it romantic - but you get a wonderful view and can also see the fireworks - so that could be memorable. As it sounds like you aren’t big foodies - I would concentrate on places that have an “experience”. So Cal Grill, perhaps a country in Epcot, narcissus’s - some place that give you something “else” after the meal. What about doing a fireworks cruise?

3 Likes

I am a foodie, but you are absolutely right…my parents are not!! I once took them for sushi and you would have thought we were trying food from another galaxy!!! LOL

I was thinking fireworks cruise also…anybody have any personal experiences of that…soem of the ‘experiences’ sound great but don’t live up to their expectations

2 Likes

My suggestion for an experience your whole group can enjoy would be Ragland Road. It has room for groups, it has very good food and drinks, take a look at their menu…the entertainment is awesome…the atmosphere is friendly and just a little raucous at times… :grinning: And if they know its your folks’ anniversary, they add some special touches…just tell your server…we were there in December for an anniversary and it was great…be sure to get them Anniversary buttons.

2 Likes

I love that idea!

2 Likes

All great suggestions so far! To cater to your folks, maybe also consider the places where the food is served family style? 'Ohana, Garden Grill, Liberty Tree, Hoop Dee Doo?

3 Likes

I second all those ideas. If you’re okay with buffets, my parents loved going with my DH and the kids to Biergarten in Epcot (Germany). It’s long tables, and you’re frequently seated with other parties, but it makes for a fun social experience. You feel like you’re dining outside at dusk in a large courtyard surrounded by traditional German houses, with a great buffet with plenty of “normal” food - potatoes and sausages and rolls, standard veggies. Every 20 minutes or so there’s live German entertainment, complete with lederhosen. My folks had a great time.

2 Likes

Since it sounds like your parents are the focus and they would likely appreciate it I would add a second vote for Hoop De Doo Revue. The food was very good, and the show is corny but a lot of fun. Kids can participate and they’ll make a special announcement for your parents. We went right after we got married with some friends and really had a great time.

2 Likes

We are going in August with similar situation, parents 50th…17 of us.

We have a few “celebrations” planned. Biergarten arrival night dinner and TH brunch. For our big anni celebration I asked DM about HDDR, but she said they’d prefer something that the grandkids would enjoy more. So we ended up booking the Pirates and Pals Fireworks Cruise.

Either way, you’re in Disney so anything you do will feel like a celebration! Congrats and enjoy!

2 Likes

I agree! We had dinner at the Hoop De Doo Revue last May and it was great fun. I think it would be perfect given what you have said about your group and you would ALL have a good time. We reserved a center floor table and mentioned we were celebrating our 30th Anniversary and had a front row table. Adult beverages are included in your dinner price. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

If you weren’t just wanting to do food, you could do a boat ride for the whole family to watch the fireworks :slight_smile: If you wanted to do something special for them you could have their room decorated from the Disney Florist. They do an AWESOME job :slight_smile: I have had 2 and have loved both of them :slight_smile: Since you have young kids you could do the Family Magic Tour. My kids and I went on it and we loved it :slight_smile: You get to ride a few rides and learn about some Disney magic

1 Like

Always amazes me what great community is here, thank you so much for all the suggestions guys and feel free to keep them coming…this is invaluable advice for someone not used to looking after people of many ages!

2 Likes

Choose the option with included booze lol. That’s my best suggestion.

4 Likes

We went with a family of 17! My best advice is to have alone family times :slight_smile: Don’t stay together 24/7! You will get more done and when you have different people wanting to do different things than it gives them that freedom :slight_smile: You could always choose the park you want to all go to, go your own way and then come together for certain things, like the fireworks, dinner, parades, characters! My family of 5 got more done in one day than we got done when all of us were together (someone always needed the restroom, smoke break, hungry, change diapers, someone not wanting to ride a ride, so we would sit and wait! Just an idea :slight_smile:

1 Like

Even before I read the other posts, Raglan Road and BG are the first two that came to mind. Although personally not a huge fan of HDRR, it would also probably fit your family situation well.

1 Like

I would look into renting a private boat for the wishes fireworks.

If your father is a veteran perhaps you can go to town hall in the MK and see if he maybe can do the flag retreat. I am not sure if the still do this.

There are some good tours. There’s one about the trains in the MK. Maybe spring for VIP Services and get a plaid tour guide for your group.

If you are willing to go outside of Disney and can afford it I have heard a lot of good about Discovery Cove.

1 Like

If your parents are silly - I think Hoop Dee Doo is a great idea as previous said. It sounds like you have similar family to mine. I am a foodie - parents are not. They just “want the family together” - which is a sweet notion.

1 Like

I would say renting a private cruise for wishes or illuminations would be an amazing way to celebrate an anniversary with your family. It’s amazing to be out there on the water and see the show from a new perspective. :heart:

2 Likes

I’m not speaking from experience but you could also consider 1700 Park Fare, the reviews make it sound like a good option for all ages, and it should keep the kids amused.

1 Like