Ads? On TP forums?

Someone is messing with the forum today?

3 Likes

I donā€™t understand?

I got an alert, as a new user, I donā€™t have any notifications yet.

Then, when I refreshed the page Igot the ā€œhold onā€ message and I have NEVER seen that error before.

5 Likes

How does it feel to live like the peons? :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Do you get that message?

I donā€™t think I saw that ā€œthis is what notifications areā€ message when the forum started.

3 Likes

Not that one. I just assumed it was the Grand Poobah version of "youā€™re posting too fastā€™

5 Likes

Just had another oneā€¦

2 Likes

It is so weird. Is anyone else getting weird messages or pop ups tonight? Len is away this week.

@david , Len said there was ad tests happening but should a subscriber be getting ad pop ups tonight? @ScottFL ā€™s post is above this one.

2 Likes

We are experimenting with some ads on the forum this week. No one who is logged in should see them right now (and, long-term, we donā€™t intend for people with subscriptions to see them), but we may have some work to do in order to get that to work perfectly. Thanks for your patience.

9 Likes

Just to give you the feedback that you didnā€™t ask me for: display ads are one thing but the two popups I experienced tonight were hugely intrusive. Ongoing popups would have an enormously negative impact on the experience.

6 Likes

Hereā€™s a hack, on your computer at the very least: sort threads by ā€œlatestā€ (default I believe is by category). Itā€™s a neverending list. So there is no bottom of the page and no ad space (or presumably ads)

3 Likes

Just so you know, my screenshot above was from my ā€˜latestā€™ feed sort. Your idea works for display ads but pop ups donā€™t care.

4 Likes

To me, pop-up ads are a deterrent from ever subscribing to a site. Theyā€™re cheesy and annoying.

6 Likes

This is why you get a good ad blocker.

3 Likes

Hello from Banff, Canada. And thanks for your patience while we figure out the best way to do this, and as unobtrusively as possible.

17 Likes

We will be doing more ad testing later this week.

In anticipation of this, I encourage you all to log out from the forum (click your avatar in the upper-right, click the Preferences head, and click Log Out. Then you can immediately log back in. This will re-initialize your forum access, making sure that the forum knows whether or not you are a TouringPlans.com subscriber.

This is important because we plan to suppress all ads for those with an active TouringPlans.com subscription. Those without a subscription are still welcome to use the forum, but you will see advertisements. The ads will vary over time. We do not expect people to affirmatively enjoy seeing ads, but we plan to make adjustments to reduce the distractions to a reasonable level.

If at some point you are a TouringPlans.com subscriber and either see ads or lack access to a forum you believe you should be able to access (after logging out and then logging back in), please let us know: https://touringplans.com/contact-us.

Thanks again for your patience with these changes!

11 Likes

When should we do this logging out and back in? Today? Later this week?

1 Like

Now

1 Like

9 Likes

As suggested, now is fine. Or any time after now.

Thereā€™s no deadline. If you donā€™t do it, you may eventually see some ads, But even then if youā€™re a subscriber and log out and then log back in, they should disappear.

5 Likes