A recent thread that's been on my mindso,

I think many people only do it for “peace of mind”. Planning is stressful for some people and they use some strategies to relieve that stress. You see a financial benefit in that? Interesting

1 Like

There is one — and maybe two — ride(s) at WDW that I would be very disappointed if I missed during a trip. The one is FOP, the maybe two is SDD.

As I’ve mentioned before, I was given an anytime FPP for each day of my trip. I actually declined the offer for two of my days as I wouldn’t have any use for the FPP (because I’m either not in the WDW parks at all, or not for long).

The FPPs are park specific. With the exception of MK, that makes them of frankly very little use. (Bear in mind the EP one excludes FEA, the HS one excludes TSL and TOT, and the AK one excludes Pandora.)

Last summer in MK I was able to get plenty of FPPs after I’d used up my initial allocation, including popular rides like HM.

My point being that it is possible to get overexcited about gaining FPP advantages.

My own solution to FOP and SDD is either stay onsite or book EMM or DAH. But there’s plenty of evidence to suggest that same-day drops are real and work. And you can always rope-drop.

1 Like

I realize I am experiencing a strong, knee-jerk reaction on this thread and I think it actually should have been included in my original response to @coloradoresident.

I believe with all of my heart that this forum is a wonderful, supportive place. I will do all that I can to help anyone that needs help.

We are not here to judge each other. I know that was not why you started this thread @coloradoresident.

@cbcremer, when I think of something being “stolen” I feel that I am being asked to judge someone’s actions or behavior and honestly - I have no right or desire to do that- so it nags at me deeply.

2 Likes

You should be more sympathetic then. Rich people are extremely generous. Not all are, but a whole lot are. Unfortunately, rhetoric you hear leaves the impression being rich means you are greedy and selfish. For most rich people, this just isn’t true. The wealthy people I know personally are some of the most generous.

1 Like

But is a 4 ok? A 5? A 6?

And who generates the scale?

Interesting note… this doesn’t happen at DLR. and wasn’t a thing before FPP…

Apples/oranges

DLR is known to be a locals park. Not nearly a fraction of the number of people staying onsite as compared with WDW.

Whenever I start to judge others I remember I always go 5-7 mph over the speed limit. I am breaking the law. Who is the judge that quantifies the cheat? Who appointed that judge? Disney just needs to figure out how to fix the loop holes. Technology allowed them to make this system so complicated, they can use technology to close the loophole. I always told my kids, “Life isn’t fair, get over it.”.

1 Like

I’m not really concerned with what is “ok”. I just prefer people have some self-awareness. If you want to cheat a little, doesn’t really bother me(as I have admitted to cheating also)…just own it.

1 Like

I agree with @OBNurseNH, the differences in the operational constraints between DLR and WDW makes the comparison a moot point.

Further more, to be precise this wasn’t a thing before E-Ride Night (1997), which is way before FPP. Well, its the earliest one that comes to my mind.

In short, Disney is equally culpable for creating this situation in an effort to lower operating costs and still maintain a level of Guest satisfaction. As I have said before, I would be happy to go back to day-of, in the park Fast Pass selection.

But it really goes deeper than FPP reservations. I realized how crazy this has gotten when trying to make ADRs at 180 days out without knowing the firm Park Operating Hours and Hard Ticket Event existence and/or schedules. Not to mention after making some educated assumptions, at 6:00 AM ET I still couldn’t get my prime ADR.

Throw in Disney’s dynamic adjustment of ride capacity, and it’s no wonder that Guests are resorting to anything and everything they can to protect their vacation investments.

You can debate if these tactics are right or wrong, but you cannot deny that Disney bears some of the responsibility.

3 Likes

Are you judging my fruit salad now? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

Okay, someone please explain to me how I can make use of a leading reservation to get on the good rides, because you’ve all convinced me that all the FPPs for rides worth riding will be completely gone by the time our 30-day window opens. I don’t care if it’s cheating, the alternative is slowly, powerlessly watching my family’s once-in-a-lifetime vacation go down the tubes.

Yes, I’m being sarcastic. And I’m trying to plan a nice trip for my kids under the shadow of my own once-in-a-childhood trip in which I didn’t get to ride the only two rides I wanted to ride, and that’s the thing I still remember. Be kind to desperate people, please. Disney World Disappointment is real.

3 Likes

I don’t know the details of your trip, but could you just stay on site for a couple nights then move on to your planned accommodations? Then you could still do all of your FPs at 60 days.

No, that doesn’t apply any more. No rolling window, thatbwas closed earlier this year.

You would only get FPs at 60 days out for your onsite days. After that it’s at exactly 30 days out from each day.

There are many more reputable forums who have strict policies not to endorse or allow discussion on gimmicks to line-jump for FPP’s in front of other guests. I would hope TP would be one of those reputable forums. Guess not.

I am a big enough jerk, if I see someone line jump in the park… I’ll say something. If i see gimmicks being “supported” to line jump to get FPP’s on this forum … I’ll say something.

^^^^^*You missed that

3 Likes

Didn’t miss that. There is NOTHING I said that was judging. I clearly lamented that I wish TP had more reputable policies for these forums. I didn’t call people “knee jerk reactions” like others on this forum. I didn’t call people judgmental that simply disagree.

^^^^^ have a good evening.

Neither did I. I said I was having a knee-jerk reaction.

I guess I am inferring that you are judging what is “reputable” and what is not. I am curious what type of response you are looking for when you post that on the touring plans forum? You are right, this is not disboards (there I go making assumptions again).

5 Likes

We have to define “reputable” now? Words have real meanings, not inferences.

Adjective
held in good [repute]; honorable; respectable; estimable:
considered to be good or acceptable usage; standard.

Threads where the practice supported is called “gimmicks,” and “gaming the system,” by those using the technique.

I respect this website, forum, and the people in it.

6 Likes

What you are suggesting, however, is that for a forum to be reputable, that the posts be constantly monitored and censored based on someone’s personal definition of what is right or wrong. Truth is, I agree with you that the practice in discussion is morally questionable to my senses, but I would never want the forums to edit out discussion because of it. Instead, I like the fact that we can have a discussion here were people can weigh in on the topic from multiple positions. I can make my case why I think it is a bad idea. Others can make a case why they think it is fine. But if the forums censored the topic entirely, no such discussion would take place.

In the meantime, as far as I’m aware, these forums have existed for a great deal many years and only very recently had moderators. The work of the moderators to date hasn’t been to censor topic, but to ensure the posters stay respectful toward one another.

And I’ll give you a very real/personal example of this. Many months ago, I started contemplating the idea of getting a “throwaway” campsite to obtain FPPs early for our upcoming trip. I fully intended to keep and pay for the reservation, just not use it. But it was after discussion on these forums of this topic that convinced me that it was silly of me to even want to go there, not to mention potentially harming others who rightfully wanted to use the campsites on those dates, etc. (Won’t go into the full discussion now!)

Point is, it is BECAUSE of allowing the discussion of the topic on these forums that I completely changed my tune on the subject.

16 Likes