7DMT- What is all the Hype About? - or Let's Get Real About this Ride

Okay, so yesterday I finally rode the 7DMT. We spent weeks trying to get a FP for this ride. We spent weeks planning our RD strategy to best get on this thing. We fought the crowds of strollers speed walking to this ride. We still ended up waiting way too long to ride it. And then…eh. It was just a meh ride at best. It wasn’t a good coaster. It wasn’t a great themed ride. It had one really cool area which made me think, “oh, this is going to be like Splash Mtn”. Nope, just that one cool area. This ride is just not worth it. If you can’t walk on with a less than 20 min wait, it is not worth your time. I wish more people had explained just what it was so we would have known. So for those of you who are like me trying to decide to ride it or not, that means if you can’t at least walk straight to the interactive spinning barrels of gems, turn around, you still have 30 min to go from the barrels of gems.

2 Likes

I think you’ll find you are in the minority on this one. Maybe people told you it was amazing and your expectations were set too high because of their comments. I’ve people tell me movies are great and when I watch them I either hate it or think it was not worth the hype.

My kids (4 & 6) love it. They would ride it all day if the line wasn’t long. They enjoy the coaster part. It is not too intense, but not a “baby coaster” like some of the others they have been on. They enjoy the mine and the cottage scenes. They both put it in their top three rides at WDW. My husband and parents and I enjoyed it as well. I wouldn’t wait 60+ minutes for it, but I wouldn’t wait that long for any ride (hence why I’m on here all the time getting tips!).

2 Likes

I think the main thing I hear about it that it isn’t worth a long wait. I don’t recall ever hearing any hype. I do think there is a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy thing going on where because it’s hard to get FPs, people really want to get FPs and if they don’t they assume they are missing out so they are more willing to wait in a long line.

We didn’t ride it till 2016 and all I had heard was that it was a kiddie coaster. I still got the FP because I didn’t want to miss out on a new ride and it was so much fun! Our family of thrill seekers all love it. I think it’s much better than BTMRR.

5 Likes

Yep… I’m in the it’s a “meh” coaster group. The longest I’ll wait for it is 45 minutes, if I’m with someone else that REALLY wants to ride it. They only way I enjoy it is to just do EMM on my trip. When I can ride it 4 times in 20 minutes, then it’s fun. It was originally supposed to be twice as long, but the plans got cut.

But I also feel the same about BTMRR. It’s just “meh” and not worth an hour wait + those insanely loud chain lifts, at BTMRR, make the ride so unpleasant.

So… you’re not alone. :wink:

2 Likes

I tend to agree with the OP. I found the ride a huge disappointment. Frankly, I find Goofy’s Barnstormer a more exciting coaster. What makes SDMT anything special at all is the dark-ride components. I’d say it is my least favorite coaster in all of Disney.

2 Likes

Agree that it is hugely underwhelming as a coaster. And add to that it has by far the least comfortable seats in all of WDW. If I can pick up a same day FP, or a morning one is available on my FP booking day, I usually grab one. But I would personally never wait in the SB line for it.

3 Likes

I have now been to Disney twice (both week long trips) and never waited in SB for it. Not once. I have ridden it about 4 or 5 times. All were FP. Would not wait longer than about 10 minutes for it, but I have a daughter that thinks 7DMT hung the moon. So we go on it.

2 Likes

Yep, 10 min wait is about all it is worth.

I enjoy the ride, but it is rather short. I think that I’ve also had good luck with some of the riders because they were really into it. They clapped and sang in the dark ride parts and hoot and hollered during the coaster part. These things certainly add enjoyment to the ride. The only time I did SB was during RD from BOG breakfast, so the wait was pretty minimal.

3 Likes

I think the theming is great and the ride is cute. I like the ride. I would never, ever wait in a two hour line to ride this past a first time. MK lacks any thrilling rides (again IMO, Space Mountain which is one of my top 3 favorites is the closest it comes). For a family coaster, I think it’s fine. (Unpopular opinion, I also think SDD is overrated).

1 Like

My kids and I really love this ride, but I suspect that may be partly because the first time we rode it I had not been able to get fast passes and we kinda tracked the wait time for 2 days before finally jumping in line right after the fireworks on our last night in the park. We waited maybe 30 minutes, the queue is super cute, and we went in not really knowing anything about it so the carts swaying was a surprise, they were super giggly about it so it was just fun. So now jumping in line right after fireworks is our thing, and it makes the wait not too awful(that 30 minute wait has been the longest). I would imagine that if we had for example waited in a 90 minute line in the hottest part of the day that it would have been much more disappointing.

2 Likes

Great ride for young kids and moms who wimp out on roller coasters!

1 Like

Personally, I think it would be better if they had an omnimover style ride which focuses more on Snow White and her scary adventures…

Like the one they took out years ago…

Precisely. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yay, another Primeval Whirl fan!

1 Like

Hmm. Now you’re forcing me to rethink my life.

I agree about the self-fulfilling prophesy aspect. I think it’s a solid and fun ride for what it is. The theming is top-notch by any standards outside of Disney. But it is short, very very short. If you count only the “thrill” time, it’s 45 seconds long - and that’s divided in half by a 1-minute dark scene. You could ride it 6 or 7 times in the time you spend on Splash Mountain! Clearly there is a scarcity factor that begets itself here.

1 Like

I don’t dislike it, but it is way too short. If it were twice as long I think I might love it.

5 Likes

Really? I will agree 7dmt is cute, but not a thrill coaster. But Barnstormer is horrible. I do not have any kind of health problems and that ride is just painful. After the last trip, we told our kids no more. Of course, since they were older than the first time they rode it, they said that was ok cause that was way too short.

1 Like