7DMT- What is all the Hype About? - or Let's Get Real About this Ride

Well but you don’t like having fun either so there that :wink:

3 Likes

Not sure why you’d say that.

I liked it, but it’s effort/reward ratio is terrible. It is super hard to get a FP if you are not onsite, and even staying onsite at 60+1 you might only get night windows, which is particularly bad at MK. It was the only ride in past trip for which I could only see a same day fast pass once. SB is way to long, and rope dropping it requires way more effort.

I much prefer BTMRR to it, but if I had to chose I would end up getting a FP for it because it would be a “harder to get one” (i.e., fear of missing out is what drives me there).

Lol

Totally agree. my DS14 & DS10 plus my DW all think it is over-hyped. Meh sums it up. But - the littles love it and so it is what it is - a hot ticket. I’m ok with this cause I’d rather ride BTMRR.

It’s popular for a few reasons:

(1) it’s the newest coaster at MK (I think the newest ride overall, but there may be something I’m not thinking of);

(2) it has a lower height requirement (and less thrills) than BTMRR and SM so it’s a great choice for young kids;

(3) the scarcity of the FP for this ride feeds into the FOMO factor.

Originally the ride was supposedly designed to be much longer with 2 “dark ride” stretches instead of one. Then the budget cuts were made and the coaster length and dark ride scenes were cut back. Supposedly the original proposal for Under the Sea would have been much more interesting/different than the final result too. If Disney only had the budget for 1 amazing ride in New Fantasyland, I wish they would have picked one and made it amazing instead of building 2 rides that are good, but not great.

1 Like

The gripe I had about 7DMT was it was billed as a kiddie ride. Ummm, no! I screamed my head off. Lol! I give it high marks for being fun, and the coaster itself - the queue, everything is incredibly touching. Disney+ fans go watch the original movie from 1937, and tell me you don’t agree 7DMT captures

the spirit of that movie.

5 Likes

We did EMM on our trip. Kids (then 9 & 12) begged for breakfast before my scheduled 9:40 time, ugh. So after breakfast it was 8:55 and I asked what ride did they want to ride last before the park opened and they both asked for another Peter Pan over 7DMT. I was a little sad because I would have preferred 7DMT. That said, I’m not going to jockey for a FP since MK will only be visited once on our next trip and probably on the first day, and probably won’t care if we don’t ride 7DMT. Hakuna Matata…

1 Like

I am kind of surprised by everyone’s comments. 7DMT is probably in the top 3 of my family’s favorite rides. I also love it! I do agree it is short but there is just something about it I love. Snow White is also one of my favorite Disney movies. We have rode it so many times I cannot even count. The longest I have waited in the standby line is 45 minutes (we love the queue!). We rode it a bunch of times during DAH. My nieces are scared of pretty much every ride, but they love 7DMT so it is basically the one ride we can all agree on.

3 Likes

I think it’s an okay ride, but I’m amazed that it is still so popular that the standby line is always long and fastpasses are hard to get! We decided to skip it on our March trip despite having two days at MK. We got fastpasses for BTMRR and Space Mountain both days instead of using one for 7DMT.

It’s cute but way too short and if you happen to be in the front, it is painfully slow.

My DD4 and DD6 loved the ride. They got multiple rides and would have kept doing it if they could. I think it hits that Age group perfect with some theming and some thrill.

I agree, meh. I’d ride if less than 20 minutes wait, but I’m also OK skipping this on our next trip if we can’t get a FP. My 8-year-old hated it, said it was way too scary. My 6-year-old liked it but didn’t want to ride it a 2nd time when he could have during our last trip. In comparison, I loved Space Mountain and wouldn’t miss that for anything!

1 Like

Ooooh…I just shuddered remembering that ride from my childhood!

We did EMM yesterday, but it was down through most of the event but we could use the FP line until 11 and did it 3 times. My 4 year olds and 7 year old all loved it. I Really enjoyed it too - CERTAINLY not wait in 2+ hour lines love it. But would be a definite FP priority if we could.

2 Likes

So yesterday, when we were trying to RD this ride, anyone who had done the EMM could go through the FP line as many times as they wanted??? No wonder we had to wait so long. Had I known that I would have bailed for sure.

Yes, that’s kind of the draw of EMM. Bummer you didn’t realize that though!

I hate to say this, but as a kid I was really scared of this ride. That witch was really scary. And she might not have been coming to get you, but she was definitely coming to get me. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes - yesterday we could since it was down during EMM. Typically had the ride not been down, when park opened the EMM people would no longer be allowed on special

Oh! I misread! I thought @laurac was surprised you got to ride 7D as many times as you wanted DURING EMM. Oops

nope, I understood about EMM, just didn’t know they would allow them to make RD people wait extra long for two hours for the EMM people to keep riding it after the park opened.

1 Like