I’m going to try dvc direct at 9am. I’ll report back.
Sorry to hear that. I’m sure it’ll work out fine but yeah, I think people who already had 2020 reservations should’ve been taken care of before this.
We had a family meeting about it last night. If it turns out we cannot get park tickets, we’re stuck paying for the room anyway (DVC rental), so we’ll buy Universal tickets and maybe try to get into Discovery Cove. I’ve always wanted to visit Discovery Cove anyway. In any case, they’re not getting my room back. It’s paid for and one way or another, I’ll use it. I’ll find a way to spend my money!!! LOL!!!
Not sure who you went through for rentals but ours is through Davids and it says on their website we will be able to use our points or 24 -36 months after booking date. I’m seriously thinking of rescheduling if covid numbers don’t calm down. Of course just bc I have points doesn’t mean I’ll be able to rent the same villa so I’m torn still…
I went through DVC Rental Store. They haven’t offered any options that I’m aware of unless Disney cancels the reservation.
You might want to double check that- I also went through David’s and wasn’t given that option. Because the resort is set to be open during my scheduled stay I was told my only “out” was to see if David’s could re-rent them. They weren’t even open to contacting the owner to reschedule into 2021 when I could buy tickets (my owner has a Feb use year so my options were going to rather limited in any event). They’re likely drowning in credits to spring customers so they have to draw a line somewhere.
Ok I know they are way behind in getting info out to renters what what I’ve read elsewhere it’s almost July and they’re contacting August people now. I will reach out to them and verify instead of waiting and being upset and stuck in case I misunderstood . TY!