2020 Resort / No Tickets Watch Thread

I wanted to start a thread to track any changes regarding being able to buy park tickets for 2020. There is conflicting advice as to when tickets will be available for purchase ranging from tomorrow Wed 6/24 (per a CM online chat I had) to “sometime later this summer”. I spoke with a CM today (because I plan on calling every day until I get the same answer more than once) and she suggested I call on Sunday 6/28.

5 Likes

YES! Thanks for starting this!

I got a CM on chat this morning and his answers ranged anywhere from right now to we don’t know when you will be able to purchase tickets! I took screen shots (posted below) since the whole thing was ridiculous. I get that they probably have to use macros to keep messaging consistent but when the baseline message is vague at best, it doesn’t work.

I then tried every phone number I thought might work and they all had busy signals. :woman_facepalming:

edit: my trip is supposed to be AS Movies Nov 6-11 for the wine and dine half.

61461600272__F6AF566C-1CA0-47B0-AF51-8901243FD71E 61461601500__BB746ADF-4263-439B-961A-4CA090E2165C 61461602870__962FC014-2357-4374-980E-D8BFFC13C393 61461604512__BF1D0B64-DEC5-4018-BD5F-49D557B6B0E7 61461609894__09C0ED4F-F6BA-4E99-9AF7-843F5C99A462

3 Likes

Yes thank you for starting this! Booked in a DVC room for October 2020 and getting panicky :dizzy_face::tired_face:

1 Like

I was talking to a person in a travel office on an army post yesterday. She confirmed that Disney had said probably September as to when they could begin selling the WDW tickets they have in stock.

She then said, that the CM who confirmed the September time frame went on to say that it could even be later.

She said to me, based on her experience with Disney, it can change to any time, even sooner than September, if it works for them to open ticket sales.

Thanks for starting this thread. Our December room only for Coronado Springs is thru Disney Sports and Travel. I’m contemplating calling them tomorrow about their tickets - especially the after 1 pm and after 5 pm.

Unless anyone thinks today word be a better time to call? :thinking:

1 Like

I’m so confused. I was really hoping to sneak in a visit BEFORE the 2021 anniversary.
I read somewhere no new reservations until 2021, but saw other places that they may open up to new res in the Fall…ugh.

1 Like

My opinion: they have to sell tickets for 2020, at least on a limited basis, before the parks open. Otherwise you could have 4 members of a party with tickets and 1 person without and be SOL. Or people with a hotel reservation but no tickets. Or if you want to add a day or upgrade to AP, etc. - I can’t imagine them turning you down if they still have park capacity. They could just open it up for those contingencies though, I suppose.

3 Likes

That is high level bonkers. Those canned responses would have made my brain explode.

2 Likes

We have a room only in December, moved from June.
We made the June reservation in Oct 2019, when we registered for the sports competition.
I planned to buy tickets the last week of March from our local military base.
Now we’re ticketless with a room reservation in 2020.

I suspect that Disney is focusing on 2021 bookings rather than 2020 as a way to look more solvent, for whatever reasons.

2 Likes

That’s the kicker I think. On the one hand, they want less people so they are within the park capacity, on the other hand, they want people on site spending money. If I can’t buy tickets for the 5 kids in my room (DH and I already have AP’s) our family trip of 27 people will fall apart and we won’t go. Maybe that’s what they want? But I’m mostly sure they don’t want to make me disgruntled.

2 Likes

Usually, I’d agree, wholeheartedly.
Right now - I’m not so sure. There’s a bigger picture that maybe includes shareholders, that are changing up the dynamic.
It’s a weird time when your September 2021 trip is more important than your September 2020 trip is.

I commiserate with you over your big family trip. My gut was in a mess last summer with the unmentionable bother of Star Wars Land and all the new uncharted crap that entailed for our large group (of only 17).
It’s worse when you want a good experience for others.
I started relaxing about our room only in December when I realized, it’s only 4 of us and if we need amusement park fixes, we can go to Universal.

In your place, I’d craft a simple email, outlining your group size, where you’re staying, and what you need - that is, ticket guarantee. Keep it as short and specific as possible. I don’t have an email address to send it to; maybe someone here knows.

2 Likes

Thank you for this! I’ll be following as we have a September room only reservation at BWI. I guess I’ll be calling starting tomorrow to see if we can add tickets, but I don’t have high hopes. Especially if the rumor is true that it could be September before they even start selling tickets - ugh!

2 Likes

Probably not even Disney knows what demand will look like in 2020. Whatever model they used before won’t work now.

Date based tickets converted to any-date and so far they only have visibility into plans for guests staying onsite - and even for those, changes to their cancelation policy combined with 2020 uncertainty might mean they don’t have a good estimate for how many reservations will be cancelled last minute.

They might need to wait until June 28th to get a better picture of offsite crowds. Maybe they need July guests to show up to estimate cancelation rates.

If there is spare capacity, they will find a way to sell tickets. How probably depends on how much spare capacity is there.

1 Like

Great thread. We’ve got an Oct 2020 DVC reservation that we had to buy points from someone else to have enough. I just don’t know how that will work if we can’t get tickets and park ressies. I did read somewhere in the last few days that on June 24th the people who have room reservations would be able to call to add tickets, and they would then be eligible to make park reservations. I also have an email from WDW that stated that I would be prioritized over off-site guests and AP holders because I have an on-site reservation. So I’ve got my fingers crossed for tomorrow morning. I’m super annoyed that it has to be done over the phone though…hold times aren’t going to be any better tomorrow than they have been yesterday and today… At least it will be 4am my time…so hopefully it won’t get in the way of the other stuff I need to do tomorrow.

3 Likes

What’s the thinking here: if you have tickets, you can book a resort like 28 June or some such.

If you have a resort, you can’t buy tickets.

Disney wants you in a resort but not in the park?

1 Like

At least they’re being consistent, I got the same info about my Nov trip. Since I don’t have much faith that David’s will be able to re-rent my points nothing to do but hold on and hope that we’ll eventually be able to get tickets and park reservations for our trip. I’m a teensy bit worried since it’s “Jersey Week” but we’ll see how it goes. On the plus side, maybe it’ll be less crazy by then and we won’t spend hours on the phone or hitting redial?

2 Likes

Off site crowds should not get priority over on site guests already on the books.

If you have tickets you can book a 2021 resort on 6/28. Disney wants us to cancel or modify to 2020. My conjecture is they know how many people are in the resorts and how much they’ve contractually obligated to good neighbor hotels and it’s more than they want in the parks. I wouldn’t be surprised if they drop a promotion on Friday for 2021 to give fall 2020 people more incentive to modify.

1 Like

Current ticket holders can make 2020 park reservations on 6/28 so they are prioritizing admission holders over resort goers. And the AP holders are going 6/26 so Disney should have some idea of what leftover capacity in the parks they have for 2020 by 7/1 or so. I just wish they had a category for us for about then instead of the maybe someday future answers we get.

3 Likes

Re: Jersey Week, People from NY, NJ and CT still need to quarantine for 14 days once they get to Florida. Not sure if that tiny detail has gone away yet? or if it will by November.

You spelled out my exact situation for September 2020…4 of us have tickets and parks reservations so far but, currently, my SIL is SOL

1 Like

If an offsite person who already bought tickets can’t make a park reservation they get none of their money back, while most onsite ticketless folks can cancel 7 days before and get all their money back.

Disney sold tickets to offsite guests (they are the majority of park goers), and these tickets are non-refundable. Had Disney offered refunds for tickets, I would agree with you (this would be my preferred solution)

Offsite ticket holders already came after onsite folks and APs, even tough they have much less flexibility. They are already not getting priority. They are just being prioritized over non-ticket holders, who in most cases haven’t made the financial commitment yet (I understand that DVC really complicates things here, and I would agree with you that DVCers and renters should get priority, because they also can’t just walk out and get their money back).

1 Like