2 day tour plan does not display second day

I should have written, from this point forward there is NO LINK to page 2 of the plan.

Finally, back in the dashboard, Day 2 does not show up. When I click on Day 1, I am back where I started and with no link to day 2. I truly welcome any suggestions. Thanks, C

I may be wrong but I think you need to go back to the 2 day plan page and then hit the link to second day button. Once the second day shows up then personalize that to add your dates and then be able to delete things. It will be a separate plan though not able to toggle between the 2. Personalized Touring plans will not optimize over 2 days only over 1 day, so after you change them from a generic plan the plans become 2 separate plans and are no longer linked. It is not explained well on the website on how that works.

Don’t go to your personalized plans. Go to the area with the standard plans and click on the Day 2 link which is small (like in my screenshot). Once you it open, edit the name and save

1 Like

This is a doable workaround - thanks. From EACH day, I had to click ‘Copy This Plan’. So in the dashboard it created the plan as two separate dates, and I am sure they are not linked. As a web designer for many years, this is NOT what I expected. The web user guy in me thought you should just create a 2 day plan one time, and it would be in the dashboard as a single event. Once in the ‘2-day’ event, we should be able to move back and forth between the two days, or even shuffle an event easily from one day to the other. Shawthorne, I only saw the day two link you mentioned in the plans for small children. In the adult plans it is not there in the descriptions. I have been online since 1998, this should not have been so difficult. Thanks for your help. C

1 Like

I agree that TP is not intuitive. It took me a long time to “get used to it”. I will say, having read your earlier posts, that using the templates isn’t how 90% of ppl use Touring Plans. IME - Those templates are for non-subscribers to see what TP is capable of.

Your best solution is to create a personalized plan. If you want to use the steps in the template, just write them down and input them into your plan. This should fix everything and make it easier to use. Please, let me know if you have any other issues!

1 Like

Another key point here is the software is set up to “optimize” your plan, in terms of reducing the wait times or time spent walking between attractions/meals/etc. It would be awesome if you could “optimize” a plan across multiple days but this is not how the current system works. It is limited to single-day touring plans. So if you want to know the best way to tour Magic Kingdom over 2 or 3 days, you have to create a separate plan for each day and keep playing around with them until they meet your desired parameters.

2 Likes

Thanks again for the support and guidance. My rule of thumb is always - ‘simplify’.
One other small suggestion, it would be great to have a page online with all the acronyms used in the site (and forum). I believe the Unofficial book has such a page, but people are using additional ones online, it is hard for the new visitor to figure some of them out. Now lets just hope WDW RO (reopens).

I am doing the same thing as you. Starting with the canned plans and then modifying and optimizing and planning on optimizing while in-park. I figure that I don’t know enough to start from scratch. Especially since we’ll be in that park for two days, I don’t know which to put in Day 1 and which in Day 2. I expect that Day 2 will be heavily modified when we get ‘home’ after Day 1. I also like the suggested Fast Passes in the canned plans. Seems like a good starting point.

One hint that I read on the forum here is to optimize and repeat until it is stable. That is something I didn’t know when using this for Universal. I’d optimize once, and then wonder why it didn’t seem optimal. Then I’d manually move a step and optimize and it would be better.

Be careful though. When you use Optimize, it may reshuffle all of your steps to save you a couple minutes. I find it best to Optimize first and then “Evaluate” going forward to keep my steps in order while giving updated queue waits. TP will have you criss-crossing the park just to save 3 minutes if you Optimize each time. :smiley:

2 Likes

Perfect thanks. I would have never figured out: WPE= Wolfgang Puck Express

That is how we felt, that we did not have enough knowledge to just start making up a plan. Honestly, from the promotional lingo ‘Unofficial Guides’ uses in the fat book and online, I thought that the intent all along was to start with a template - at least for newbies. Good info about optimizing, I will watch for that. The little map at the bottom can help you visualize moving from place to place, and maybe cause a reordering.

The guys at TP are working on updating/refreshing things to make them more intuitive. They had hired a UX firm not long ago, and have been soliciting feedback through the forums on how things should look. So, I think it will take time, but we’re getting there. IN the meantime, it is a bit of a “mess” finding things. :slight_smile:

But, fortunately, the usefulness outweighs any frustration I’ve had with the website/app design itself.

3 Likes

What I read was that you should hit optimize several times while you are at home, not in the park, in order to get the optimal touring plan.

The optimal plan is not always the best plan!

Optimize is a great first step. It will put everything in the sequence with the shortest queues. It doesn’t care how far away they are or if they are a ride or show. I’m not saying you can’t use it multiple times, but IME the first Optimize is good enough.

EXAMPLES:

When you optimize, you may get told to RD the Citizens of Hollywood street performers at DHS because they will never have any wait. They are street performers that walk around. Because their wait time is 0 they get placed at Step #1. This is terrible advice. You would be better RD at a big attraction

You may get also get an Optimized plan that will make you walk from Space Mt. to Splash Mt. because the queue at Splash Mt. is 2 minutes shorter than it will be 2 hours later. Even though it took you 15 minutes to walk there

IME - Put in all your rides, attractions, shows, meals and then hit optimize. Then you can rearrange the steps in a better walking order. (When TP asks for your walking pace it is to determine the walk time to the next step in the plan - not to arrange them in a shorter distance)

If a ride wait time goes up greatly - like 20+ minutes - because you moved it from step #7 to Step #4, then you can decide if the walk is worth the wait.

I’m not saying my way is the only way. It’s just been a tried and true system that I’ve had to develop through years of making mistakes. Just trying to help you and anyone else avoid my errors. :grinning:

1 Like

I am new to this. Wouldn’t the setting Minimize Walking take care of that?

I wish it did! I used to think so too!! I had to learn the hard way. Been doing this since 2012 :smiley:

It’s almost like pushing a button for an elevator after someone else has already done it. It makes you think you’ve done something, but in reality nothing has happened. :crazy_face:

EDIT TO ADD - You can test this on your own by taking a plan you’ve already optimized with “Minimize Walking” or “Minimize Waiting” and then switch the setting to the opposite and Optimize again. The steps rarely, if ever, change

1 Like

So, helpful. Thank you.
So, I guess I wasn’t being a control freak before.

1 Like

Yes and no. Minimize walking, plus set your walking speed to very relaxed. That will optimize for walking distance first, mostly. Then after done optimizing, you can change your walking speed back to what you normally use (I always use relaxed) and from then on use Evaluate instead while you manually arrange and fine tune your plan.

1 Like