£1 = $1.20

They better watch out, as I’ve said before, when Americans like something we just take it. I think we’ll call it East Manhattan. :wink:

3 Likes

There are always massive amounts of Americans in London!

It had been 15 years since my last trip there and there were not nearly as many then!

I think America has always been spiffy. At least in my lifetime. You couldn’t pay me to leave. But the economy goes up and down and as @Pod points out, we’re in a good patch right now.

1 Like

You’ve been in a good patch since 2009. Aside from the two dips I mentioned, you’ve been in an economically good patch for the last forty years. At least.

3 Likes

I don’t know. Everything is going up in price while many people only get pitiful raises. In fact, I went 8 years without a raise. Now renting costs more than buying a house in my area. I would venture to say the USA isn’t doing that great.

Maybe it’s just me, though.

1 Like

I guess the economy in general is doing good but it looks to me like the gap between rich and poor widens and the middle class is not improving much. Living in Canada, I do see a lot of differences. While we have no really great cities like NY and LA and Chicago, we don’t really have really poor neighbourhoods like I’ve seen in many different states. Not sure whether this is accurate in any way, might be completely wrong, but it’s the feeling I’ve got multiple times (I travel to various parts of the US twice a year so I certainly don’t consider myself an expert LOL).

1 Like

(You couldn’t have picked a worse year for your example as the automotive industry’s slump hit my family very personally from 2008-2012. :crazy_face::crazy_face: But you couldn’t have known that!)

Nonetheless the buying power of our dollar is helpful in the moment. My Canadian relatives have not been visiting us/coming this direction these last few years, though my mom has been better able to travel there the last few years.

I already has internets. I can has cheezburger instead?

4 Likes

Erm, no. We are a house of cards right now, and the leading predictor of recessions has sounded.

Because if we’ve ever learned anything about the market, it’s that past behavior can be used to predict the future performance. :rofl:

^This. Everything is great for the 1%, but for the rest of us it blows.

3 Likes

You responded so quickly, I doubt you read the article. This is s big-time, serious indicator of economic health. Be afraid…

1 Like

I did not read it yet, but I always stick to the view that if anyone could truly predict the market Warren Buffett would already have all our money.

Psst - he does.

1 Like

He didn’t get the $100 i have under my mattress! Oh crap, now he knows where it is!

3 Likes

Ok. I’m going to read this.

Sigh. I’ll make sure I enjoy this year’s vacations.

have any unbiased sources reported this?

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/slate/

*In review, Slate has a politically progressive, liberal stance throughout their political articles. They publish political news with moderately emotionally loaded headlines such as “The Government Shutdown Is Going to Hurt More People Each Day It Continues” and “EPA Proposes Nixing Obama-Era Rule on Mercury From Coal Plants.”

does unbiased reporting still exist?

It is an article reporting facts - no bias or interpretation. There has been a great deal if commentary on this since the yield curve inverted in March, including in the WSJ.

1 Like

I guess I’d just like to read a non “emotionally loaded” commentary on the subject