Yellowstone Trip any help much appreciated!

We had a lovely trip to the area pre-kids. While I am pretty bereft of useful recommendations (we stayed with a friend that was basically a nature guide in the area so I totally zoned out on any planning and just followed them) I have to chime in with a reminder that there is some pretty significant altitude adjustment if you are coming from sea-level.

We flew in and went straight up somewhere (see?) for a hike and I was mystified by why families with toddlers were cruising straight past me while I was absolutely dragging until I remembered altitude is a thing.

It was totally fine the next day but now I know not to be too ambitious with arrival day excursions.

I would stay in the park. It is more driving than youā€™d think. I like the Lake Yellowstone and Canyon Lodge areas because they are pretty central and easy to plan day trips to the other areas. For GTNP, we stayed in Jackson. Hereā€™s a high level trip report for our vacation to the area last summer-

I have another post in that same thread with a little more info too.

Thank you all. I will look to book in the park- The Canyon Lodge and Lake yellowstone still have some availability. Then we will probably head to Jackson hole after. I cant wait to read the trip report LZurg!

1 Like